• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty V
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Cranbourne, Vic

Triton MN 2.5 T/D GLX-R

It's been slow coming but we finally have some info on the new MN Triton. There have been plenty of bits and peices floating around but we now have Australian specs and prices...

2.5lt Variable Vane Geometery Turbo with 131kws and 400nm in manual while autos will have 350nm.

GLX-R's will come standard with Active Stability Control, Six Airbags, Traction Control and 5 Speed auto with Super Select...I understand that these safety features will be available as an option on all 4x4 T/D Dual Cabs...Which will only be GLX (i think) as VR and GLS are finished. The V6 variants are also done (at least for now).

Towing capacity will be up from 2500kg to 2700kg...3000kg if the pick up body is removed and a tray fitted (with a shorter overhang)

The only other spec changes that I'm aware of is the deletion of the hard cover...

We are taking orders on them now so if you have any questions just ring me (Marty) at Knox Mits on 9800 6000

• Richo-NT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

after all the problems Nissan are having with their baby little motor in a big car (Pathy and Nav 2.5) WHY did Mitsubishi forsake the utterly reliable 3.2 for a tiny little baby turbo...
    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

The 2.5 might surprise you Richo! Nothing like the older version.
      New Challenger will get the 2.5 as well.
      Dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• David Anderson
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Albury

Seems strange to me that given new car sales are just picking up again that Mitsu would downsize an engine in such a competitive & hairy chested market segment.

If the put the NT motor in they would have had the most powerful duel cab by a fair margin.

Then again, in private rego's the Navara is a big seller, probably even more than the Hilux..
        09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Marty V
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Cranbourne, Vic

Unlike Nissan, Mits put a 10year powertrain warranty (or 160,000km) which has got to give some peace of mind that they have done their engineering properly...

Comment

• David Anderson
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Albury

Originally posted by Marty V View Post
            Unlike Nissan, Mits put a 10year powertrain warranty (or 160,000km) which has got to give some peace of mind that they have done their engineering properly...
            Good point..
            09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• jop
              • Oct 2008
              • brisbane

Own a Ml triton and owned a mk both in glxr.

Won't be buying the MN, have driven the 2.5 in the current single cab (less power than the mn variant) it does go well.

Bad move on mitsu's part, the current triton was really taking ground in sales, with fleet buyers now considering them seriously.

I know of one company using hiluxes and playdo's that was about to talk turkey with mitsu and has now dropped it due to this announcement.

I love my utes, but nothing appeals now, especially when there are rumours hilux is going the same way next engine.

Very dissapointing

My 2c

Comment

• Marty V
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Cranbourne, Vic

Sorry that some of you feel that way about the 2.5lt...But I think its a sign of the times...And ultimately we cant fight it because all the manufactures are going to do the same thing...Trying to make more power from smaller capacities and at the same time make them more fuel efficient and eco friendly...

I have heard of some issues with the 2.5lt Navara/Pathfinder but sales of Navara are still strong enough that none of that has made a difference...

I honestly dont care if its a 1.5lt, dont see a problem as long as the power and reliabiliy are both there... And as I said the 10 year powertrain warranty does give peace of mind...

Comment

• Richo-NT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Brisbane

my issue Marty is more that the 3.2 is already in there, surely it would have been a simpler excercise upgrading the existing 3.2 to the same level as the NT Pajero rather then boosting up the little 2.5, the NT's 3.2 is a lot more powerful then this new 2.5 is. Thats all

Comment

• jop
                    • Oct 2008
                    • brisbane

Don't worry some of the fellas on newtriton are exploring the paj to triton 3.2 swap option after hearing the 2.5 news.

Quite a few fellas were relying on mitsu going to the nt engine on the next triton and aren't real happy with this decision.

Comment

• bms
                      • Oct 2007

Sorry that some of you feel that way about the 2.5lt...But I think its a sign of the times...And ultimately we cant fight it because all the manufactures are going to do the same thing...Trying to make more power from smaller capacities and at the same time make them more fuel efficient and eco friendly...

I have heard of some issues with the 2.5lt Navara/Pathfinder but sales of Navara are still strong enough that none of that has made a difference...

I honestly dont care if its a 1.5lt, dont see a problem as long as the power and reliabiliy are both there... And as I said the 10 year powertrain warranty does give peace of mind...

I like the bit "more fuel efficient and eco friendly" as I know a bloke who had a Paj 3.2 and his mate had a Pathy 2.5 and when loaded up the Paj KILLED the Pathy for economy by heaps so I reckon these little motors are OK just criusing on there own but NOT when you load them up.

I was so looking forward to buying a MN Triton but Mits can stick it where ever it may fit as far as I'm concerned now. Not interested at all.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

thing is, yes a 2.5 can produce the same power and torque as a 3.2, BUT, all things being equal, if both engines have the same technology put into them including variable turbos and common rails etc, plain old common sense will tell you that the 2.5 HAS to be working harder to acheive the same results as a 3.2 and that small fact makes a BIG difference after 300,000k's

Comment

• Marty V
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Cranbourne, Vic

Understand what your saying and I too thought that the most logical step would be to use the Pajero engine insted but I guess Mits have their reasons...

Could be the root of all evil...Money?

Could be the engine plant build capacity? Toyota had huge delays on delivery of just about any Diesel last year because the engine plant could only produce a certain amount of diesel engines per year...And they (in various forms) were used in Prado, Hilux and Hiace...Most were 6 month delay at least...

Anyway...it is what it is...They must have their reasons...

I remember years ago when the original GSR Lancer was released, I guy came in looking for a car for his wife and he asked me about this sporty looking model (GSR) and I told him all about how it was only a 1.8 Turbo but with its light weight and AWD it would kill his SS in the twisty country back roads...Boy did he laugh...until i took him for a drive...He was blown away by the punchy little "rice burner".

He bought one "for his wife" and when I saw them at first service she said she'd hardly even had a drive! and was stuck with the SS most of the time...

My point is that for decades V8's were considered the only way to have a true sports car and smaller capacity high tech Jap cars changed all that...And for the better...

All I can say is that your all invited to come down and drive a new MN with absolutely no obligation and see what you think of it...Just maybe it will change your mind on smaller capacity high tech Jap cars...

Comment

• jop
                            • Oct 2008
                            • brisbane

Maybe it's time to send my ecu to MRT for their upgrade, fit a nice steel tray and front locker, because it looks like i'm keeping the ML.

Comment

• Kemsley
                              • Apr 2008
                              • Brisbane

Understand what your saying and I too thought that the most logical step would be to use the Pajero engine insted but I guess Mits have their reasons...

Could be the root of all evil...Money?
                              Could be like Toyota that Mits have nowhere to go with the engines to discriminate between models? Toyota have had I think a big issue with the Hilux getting a bigger and bigger engine leaving Toyota with nothing to put in the Land cruiser. Also all the engines must now meet or exceed Euro 4 and soon Euro 5 for some markets. Anyway we shall see. It was not that long ago that a 4.2l diesel in a Toyota produced only 85 or so kW! And as for the 2.4l diesel in the 1980s Hilux.......
                              I used to have a NS X DiD Shorty
                              Now I drive a VW Amarok

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X