Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Chipping a 4M40.... any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VK4CZ
    • Aug 2007

Chipping a 4M40.... any recommendations?

I'm planning our next trip out west in Sept 09 and although the 2.8l TD has performed flawlessly on every past trip towing the camper and loaded to the gunnels, I'm considering whether chipping the motor will assist in both towing capability and economy.

Researching on line has shown that most of the common power chips don't include the 4M40 an option in their spec's.

Has anyone had experience (good and bad please) in chipping the 4M40?
    01 NM GLS - diesel. 3" Lovell/Bilstein lift. Airtech Snorkel. Cooper ST's. Milford Cargo Barrier. LightForce 240 Blitz. ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system. Uniden UH089SX UHF CB. Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF Txcr. Garmin GPSmap 60CS.Waeco CF60AC.
    2008 Armadilo Camper trailer.
  • ziggy
    • Feb 2008

2.5 and 2.8 are purely mechanical injection pumps - nothing to chip.

Mods have to be made to exhaust and pump calibration

Comment

• VK4CZ
      • Aug 2007

Ziggy - tnx.... that makes perfect sence why.
      01 NM GLS - diesel. 3" Lovell/Bilstein lift. Airtech Snorkel. Cooper ST's. Milford Cargo Barrier. LightForce 240 Blitz. ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system. Uniden UH089SX UHF CB. Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF Txcr. Garmin GPSmap 60CS.Waeco CF60AC.

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

On the other hand, you should be able to extract a bit more urge with a simple adjustment to the pump and perhaps some upping of the boost, which will be a whole lot cheaper than a "chip". The Gen 2 crowd might have some tips there.

Pat
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• VK4CZ
          • Aug 2007

Tnx Pat.... the mechanic who services my car races a 4M40 in a SWB and has done wonders with the performance of my car since he's been working on it.... so I might have to be satisfied with what I have until my plans to swap to another vehicle later this year come to reality (and this car will become my wifes - she's claimed it).

Comment

• Richo-NT
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Brisbane

upgrade the exhaust, big gains to be made there. full mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo back with straight through muffler is the go, more grunt, will come on boost sooner and harder, can be done so it won't be noisy, best upgrade a turbo diesel owner can make.
            2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X