• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85L200Express
    • Mar 2012
    • Tasmania

Do I need a harmonic puller?

So I'm trying to get behind the timing case to replace the crankshaft sensor. I've removed the bolt for the harmonic balancer, it now wiggles up and down but I can't pull it off. The guide I'm using says it should remove pretty easily just by wiggling it from side to side. After more than an hour I've had to stop to conserve my sanity.

Do I need to buy a harmonic balancer puller set to get the damn thing off?
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I removed the pulley by using some tyre levers & genlty prising t off. In doing so, I unknowingly bent the crankshaft angle sensor plate and when I reassembled the engine, had a whining noise. Twio days later it the eninge stopped - stuffed Crank Angle Sensor. I would beg, borrow or buy a pulley remover to get it off.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pakenham

Originally posted by erad View Post
      I removed the pulley by using some tyre levers & genlty prising t off. In doing so, I unknowingly bent the crankshaft angle sensor plate and when I reassembled the engine, had a whining noise. Twio days later it the eninge stopped - stuffed Crank Angle Sensor. I would beg, borrow or buy a pulley remover to get it off.
      And using a puller will do exactly the same thing. The pin that locates the crank nose gear to the harmonic balancer is stuck in the hole. The balancer should almost fall off, get a pin punch and gently tap the pin from the front of the balancer while wiggling it forward at the same time. You only have a couple of mm to play with so tap pull, tap pull, tap pull until it comes off.
      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• 85L200Express
        • Mar 2012
        • Tasmania

Damn, how. I supposed to see the pin?

Comment

• Just Cruzin
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Pakenham

12 o'clock

Comment

• 85L200Express
            • Mar 2012
            • Tasmania

Thanks, I was using a mirror. It's a little different to the one you showed. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I tapped it in as far as it would go. The crankshaft pulley seemed to wiggle forward a bit more, but still doesn't come off. Should I spray silicone spray in there and tap it with a hammer with wood protecting it to help break the seal?

Thanks again

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Pull the balancer forward at the same time tapping the pin. Extra pair of hands might be useful.

Comment

• my.paj
                • Dec 2010
                • Tullamarine

If you have the covers off you should see the belt coming forward as you pull the balancer if not its just tight spray and keep trying.
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• 85L200Express
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Tasmania

Thanks. I'll see if I can get the mrs to tap the pin while I wiggle it tomorrow

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Pakenham

[QUOTE=my.paj;524122]If you have the covers off you should see the belt coming forward as you pull the balancer if not its just tight spray and keep trying.[/QUOT

From memory you cant get the bottom cover off until you get the balancer off.
                    If the belt is coming forward, the whole assembly (balancer, nose and timing plate) is trying to come with it, and you don't want that or you will damage the timing plate, CPS or break the roll pins.

Comment

• my.paj
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Tullamarine

[QUOTE=Just Cruzin;524128]
                      Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                      If you have the covers off you should see the belt coming forward as you pull the balancer if not its just tight spray and keep trying.[/QUOT

From memory you cant get the bottom cover off until you get the balancer off.
                      If the belt is coming forward, the whole assembly (balancer, nose and timing plate) is trying to come with it, and you don't want that or you will damage the timing plate, CPS or break the roll pins.
                      Yes you need to remove the pulley first but I think if all the other plastic is off you will see the belt move then you need to do as above.
                      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• 85L200Express
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Tasmania

Thanks for the replies. I ended up working it off... by elbow ligaments are killing me though!

The sprocket came off with the crankshaft wheel, it's not really supposed to is it? Do I just continue to tap the pin in and then will the sprocket separate?

Thanks

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Pakenham

Originally posted by 85L200Express View Post
                          The sprocket came off with the crankshaft wheel, it's not really supposed to is it? Do I just continue to tap the pin in and then will the sprocket separate?

Thanks
                          No it's not, keep tapping the pin.
                          What happened to the two roll pins that attach the timing plate to the sprocket? They usually break in that situation.

Comment

• 85L200Express
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Tasmania

So this is what I ended up with:

There were no roll pins to be seen? Only a woodruff key came out??

Damn wish I had a good guide!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X