Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Cracked cross member tab (photo attached)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

I asked this question on another forum.

You are supose to remove your positive terminal, some have said remove your negative terminal, others have said to remove both to be safe.

Place the earth clamp as close as possible to the place you want to weld, then weld away.

I decided to take mine to the local exhaust joint and they re-welded mine for $10.

I am very hesitant to weld on a 50k 4wd with little welding experience.

Rob
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• wasarangie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2010
      • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by Ballfyboy View Post
      Going off 900Canoes signature he has the issue but no HD plates. My plates are a different brand, and I have still had the issue.
      Correct not an issue with the plates. My first tab was broken before the plates were fitted, actually broke the weld not the tab. The second after a week in the high country. Then fabricated new ones and welded them on myself.

I disconnect both positive and negative when welding and use an earthed G clamp to hold the tabs in place. The local exhaust joint just welds with out any concern for electrics, works for them.
      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• BigBloke65
        • Aug 2010
        • SA

I checked the points yesterday and they still look o.k. I'll keep an eye on them but have them replaced before I'm doing Googs track and surrounds in November.
        PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• Drjohn11
          • Sep 2011
          • Melbourne

L side cracked

Checking my mounts and found the L was cracked. I have full set of bushskinz. Thanks for the heads up about this. If I get the all clear from the cardiologist tomorrow off on the day after to the Cape. After almost going earlier in June I am not believing its going to happen until I am on the road.
          Attached Files
          NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
          NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags

Comment

• perrys
            • Jan 2012
            • Wollongong

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but is this only happening when heavier bash plates such as bushskinz are installed? I plan to get some bushskinz in a month or two, sounds like it is a good idea to get the welds redone before I install them even if they are not yet broken.
            Challenger LS Manual 2011 MY12 - with some bits and pieces

Comment

• greig
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • kanwal

Originally posted by perrys View Post
              Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but is this only happening when heavier bash plates such as bushskinz are installed? I plan to get some bushskinz in a month or two, sounds like it is a good idea to get the welds redone before I install them even if they are not yet broken.
              Sounds like a good idea to me..

Will have to check mine.....although I wouldn't just reweld them, I'd be putting a small gusset in as well..

Comment

• Lakey
                • Apr 2012
                • Brisbane

Have to say it doesn't look like either bad design or the welds (don't appear to be breaking on the weld line) but rather poor quality steel used in the bracket or perhaps post weld treatment during construction. The bracket design looks strong enough (from the photos) to carry the weight of the plates. They look more like fractures rather than tears if you know what I mean, like after welding they have been cooled with water and hence hardened as a result making them brittle.

Anyone actually lost a bash plate as a result?

Have to check mine regularly. Hoping to go to Sundown in Sept so the track in there should flex things a bit and maybe make things happen.

Cheers
                Lakey
                Cheers
                Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X