• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnywal47
    • Mar 2019
    • Ocean Grove

Idler bearing noise.

Have just noticed an occasional "light rattly" noise that appears to be coming from the idler pulley on the aircon belt "circuit". Has anyone had to replace this bearing/pulley and is it a very difficult job? I replaced one of these on my previous Territory a few years back, but there was more working room at the front of the engine.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey bud have a look at pics below. Also you can che cvk out online tech manual withinthis forum, link below.

First up remove the plastic intake duct, 2×10mm small bolts above the radiator to the 'slam' panel.

To remove undo the locking nut on pulley a touch at the front then back of the adjustor bolt til the belt comes off, then pulley should just come off by undoing the lock nut.
    Attached Files
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Tjwhite
      • Mar 2014
      • Sydney

Coincidentally had new belts and idler pulley fitted this week. Can't comment on how difficult it was but ultratune charged one hour labour and I can confirm it resolved the tinkling rattly sound that had been bugging me for 40,000k's or so.

Comment

• _jp_
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2013
        • Adelaide Hills, SA

My drive belts were replaced at 90,000km as they were staring to get noisy. I got the idler pulley replaced at the same time as it was only $20 or so for the part and the mechanic didn't charge any extra labour.
        NW GLXR - SOLD
        --------------
        EVO 6 TME

Comment

• johnnywal47
          • Mar 2019
          • Ocean Grove

Thanks ausieintas, that diagram was everything I needed. Will replace the idler pulley before going away.
          Can the bearings be replaced or is it just as easy to buy the whole pulley assembly?
          John.

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Personally i wouldn't go to the hassle of changing the bearing and just replace the whole thing. Pretty sure they are only around $40. Geuine part number is 7813A136
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• crackles
              • Jun 2021
              • Fremantle, Western Australia

Just tensioned my alternator belts to take away the start up squeal while I wait for a new set in the mail. I noticed while the A/C is cycling on, there is a squeal, which goes away when the compressor cycles off. Is this the idler pulley or is it possible it's the A/C bearing?

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by crackles View Post
                Just tensioned my alternator belts to take away the start up squeal while I wait for a new set in the mail. I noticed while the A/C is cycling on, there is a squeal, which goes away when the compressor cycles off. Is this the idler pulley or is it possible it's the A/C bearing?
                Idler pulley generally if screwed has play, belts possibly once there is a load on AC compressor squeal.
                Think simple first & work your way to the expensive bit.

Repco Gates pulley & belt, i think you'll find the below should fit or genuine pulley Partsouq about $100ish, haven't asked Misty. Australia.
                I will take old belt & pulley in hand when i buy these, can also check pulley with verniers which i will

Shop for Belts and save with Automotive Superstore! Get the best price, fast shipping and genuine parts to your door.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-se...Search=13A0915

My belts are not old but air con belt is old & idler has little bit of play, so replacing mine shortly
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by crackles View Post
                  The A/C belts and idler pulley are going all the time when the engine is running. Only when the A/C compressor is called for does the compressor run - via a clutch in the compressor pulley. The squeal you hear is the belts slipping. You have bearings inside the compressor pulley and also in the idler pulley, but bearings rarely squeal - they rattle .

Comment

• Mitsu_Many!
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Central NSW

Originally posted by johnnywal47 View Post
                    Have just noticed an occasional "light rattly" noise that appears to be coming from the idler pulley on the aircon belt "circuit". Has anyone had to
                    Oh yes; Went after this one today after the boss said it was only present when the A/c was off !

Simple, remove A/c belt and tighten the idler (which is rather loose on its bearing) to test if the "noise" is gone; In a significant way NO, see below.

When I started the engine all good for 1 second until the the alternator belts on the back of the harmonic balancer/ crank pulley walked the outer forward into the fan with a lot of spray of plastic etc.

Boss said "I heard that noise and assumed I wouldn't be doing the school run in the Pajero today!" So out with the trusty L200/ 36 yrs going strong.

Could, have been worse at speed on the highway?

FWIW I easily slid/ pushed the pulley back onto the body inner/ vulcanised cush band and the images tell the story of the contact with the timing chest with the witness marks and swarf!

? Will I need a puller to walk the pulley off the crank, once I get the bolt out ?

MMAL have only the fan, so Repco for the ?(49.5x74x11)? seal, 1104A024 (3 "V belt pulley"), 1 x A/c idler, so far about $623.

​​ ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	NS-Pajero-HarmonicBalancer-Failure-DSC03114.JPG
Views:	854
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	1084052 Click image for larger version

Name:	NS-Pajero-HarmonicBalancer-Failure-DSC03119.JPG
Views:	754
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1084053

Click image for larger version

Name:	NS-Pajero-HarmonicBalancer-Failure-DSC03121.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	1084054

As a testament of the conditions this car works under, we have long periods of wet and a muddy drive 4x per day over that, Summer days can be 38° to low 40's and this is probably tough on the vulcanised cush band in the balancer.

Great car, sad to hear the series is discontinued and we have no hope of buying anything, the way the CLIMATE is these days.
                    Last edited by Mitsu_Many!; 17-06-21, 03:16 PM.
                    L200 TT ute, Diesel - DOM 03/85, since new 06/85.
                    QA iO Petrol - Man, DOM 2002, 5Dr, regrettably sold 04/12.
                    NB SWB Petrol - Man, DOM 1985, since 02/11 for the paddock.
                    NH LWB 2.5 TDi - Man, DOM 1993, since 09/11 for the paddock.
                    NS LWB 3.2 DiD - Platinum, Auto, DOM 2008, since 04/12.

We don't do modifications (of any kind) for a reason.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X