• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedSector
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • Gippsland

How to replace a Front Crankshaft 6G72 & 6G74 seal

I don’t know if anyone else has come across this problem, but I do every single time.

The problem:-
    The front crank seal has by design and not a fault; has no pre-seating space for the inner lip of seal to seat prior to the outer seal surface coming in contact with the seal housing. This seal therefore can and does tend to pop off the garter spring when you attempt to seat it on the oil pump housing and crank at the same time.

The fix:-
    Grab a aluminium can (such as V-drink can but any can is fine) and cut it 50mm x 165mm. Roll it around on 165mm axis allowing it to overlap. Oil your seal or grease or whatever preferred method you use. Place the inner lip of the seal at one end of the rolled can and then place the other end of the can over the crank. You can now slide the seal on and be sure the garter spring has not popped off. After successfully seating the seal, use a pair of pillars and grab at a point where both rolled surfaces meet and gently pull the aluminium can out. Congrats you have just seated what I consider to be a stubborn seal and embarrassing if you just spent all the time to change and then leaks oil everywhere on first start-up after all the work you have done.

Reasoning:-
    This IMO makes doing the front crank seal far easier than any method I have used before.
    The reason I feel this works well is because you split up the job of seating the inner lip and seating the seal in the oil pump. Conversely cam seals by design do split up the job and rarely pop the garter spring.

Feel free to comment, provide your own method or refine mine.
    Last edited by RedSector; 03-08-13, 07:22 PM.
    Pajero NJ 3.5 V45w DOHC Manual.

Mods- Snorkel, LCD Mirror w/ Reverse Day/Night Camera, Ultrasonic Reverse Distance, King Cobra Stereo, S/S Tube Sidesteps, SMD Interior / Exterior Lights, Floodlights, Removable 12'' Enclosed Subwoofer, Alarmed (microwave / tamper / GPS), custom Carbon Fibre Window surrounds, Chrome mirrors covers, Electronic Rust protector, Bullbar, Rev 1.3 lifters & valves, flexible s/s heater & radiator hoses, silcone vacuum hose, Orange Racing hose, 4Terrain HD clutch.
  • RedSector
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • Gippsland

What to do if crankshaft front seal has put a massive groove on the shaft

You have three choices.

One:-
    Repair it

Two:-
    Replace it

Three:- (preferred method)
    Use a non-OEM seal such as
    402040P 6G72 V6 37X50X6 Part: 37X50 VITON
    402040P 6G72 V6 37X50X6 Part: 37X50 VITON

This should/will give you a new running spot or grove to start on another part of the crankshaft assuming you install the seal to same spot the old one was seated. These can be sourced locally from a bearing shop or online from http://www.alliedbearings.com.au/dat...seals-vehicles

Hope you find this information of help been meaning to make a few how to posts for ages now.

Oh yeah I forgot option four (bush mechanics) Ignore it !
    Last edited by RedSector; 03-08-13, 07:26 PM.

Mods- Snorkel, LCD Mirror w/ Reverse Day/Night Camera, Ultrasonic Reverse Distance, King Cobra Stereo, S/S Tube Sidesteps, SMD Interior / Exterior Lights, Floodlights, Removable 12'' Enclosed Subwoofer, Alarmed (microwave / tamper / GPS), custom Carbon Fibre Window surrounds, Chrome mirrors covers, Electronic Rust protector, Bullbar, Rev 1.3 lifters & valves, flexible s/s heater & radiator hoses, silcone vacuum hose, Orange Racing hose, 4Terrain HD clutch.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

You wouldn't have taken any pics of the process by chance?

I intend to remove and replace mine for the first time soon. So what you are describing I imagine will become much clearer then but this is great to be fore-warned about the issue in any case, thanks.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• RedSector
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • Gippsland

I'll see what I can do.... maybe a few days before I can get to it. But should be able to do something with an old block and crank.

Comment

• MattyP
          • Nov 2012
          • Warrimoo

I've never had a problem with them. You just grease it up and give it a twist as you push it in.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X