• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

rear wheel bearings shot?

Our NS 3.2, which has 223k on the clock, was occasionally making a grinding noise today; sounded like rear wheel bearings to me. Was cruising at 110kph. On slowing down it went away. It could have been tyres or god knows what else.

How long do rear wheel bearings last on these? It's never been in water or towed much.
    How do I check them?

Thanks

PS: LH hub is done up tight!
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Tyre noise should change on new, slick bitumen, so try that to rule them in or out. Also try vastly different pressures to see if noise alters.

Re bearings, I start by jacking each wheel individually & checking for free play, etc.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Did the noise disappear on backing off the throttle, or only when your speed got down?

Comment

• cooperplace
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2010
        • adelaide

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
        Did the noise disappear on backing off the throttle, or only when your speed got down?

when I reduced speed.

Comment

• cooperplace
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2010
          • adelaide

when I reduced speed.

I'll get my mechanic to check the bearings next week.

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Just trying to rule out universal joints. You can do the swerve thing when it's making noise also, you try and narrow down one side or the other. If it quietens on a swerve it's likely the bearing on the inside of the swerve...If that makes sense

Comment

• Mitsu07
              • Dec 2014
              • Central Cosst

Just trying to rule out universal joints. You can do the swerve thing when it's making noise also, you try and narrow down one side or the other. If it quietens on a swerve it's likely the bearing on the inside of the swerve...If that makes sense

Hey guys travel along on an open road change direction a tad sharp the noise should disappear I am told this will identify stuffed rear wheel bearings, my mechanic got me to do it and it was obvious.
              2inch lift Bilstein /Lovells, Safari Snorkel, MCC Steel Bar and Ironman 9500lbs winch.

Comment

• speewa158
                • Jan 2010

cooperplace

My 07 NS Oiler had done a shade over 300K . l have just replaced my 3rd left rear wheel bearing , only to have a grinding noise back left . l replaced both rear drive shafts , with pre loved parts of only 90K The CVJ were worn big time that they were starting to score the hard face . Mitz price of parts was about 5K wrecker $200 for so complete drive shafts . My Paj has done what it was designed to do on lots Os real Outback tracks .
                Hope that helps

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X