• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldtimertruckie
    • Jul 2019
    • DIMBOOLA vic

Engine oil

Hi there folkes i have a 2005 Np 3.2 diesel and i was given a present from my mum question is castrol 10w 40 diesel oil ok for my vehicle or do i change to a 15w 40 so many different answers on oils but some one out there knows the best oils cheers

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
  • 4ePikanini
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • South Africa, East London

Castrol oils are prone to sludge.

Chuck it and use delo 400 MGX.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Oldtimertruckie
      • Jul 2019
      • DIMBOOLA vic

Thanks for your help get a refund on the sludge oil lol

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

I use Valvoline Super Diesel 15W-40. Used it for years and it seems fine - I've got over 320,00km on the clock now. I do an oil change every 7,500km. and each second or third oil change I put a bottle of oil flush through the motor before changing the oil - that seems to work well too.

Cheers
        Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• saj
          • Aug 2010
          • Northern Nsw

I have used Delo400 multigrade from advice on this forum since I have had my NP 06. Has 250K on it and never been opened, bought it 10 year ago with 93K on the clock. Always done between 7.5K to 10K intervals with the Mitsubishi Value parts oil filter VS 000419 from Mitsu dealers.
          2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• Kingmarz
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2016
            • South Island New Zealand

Well I personally wouldn’t recommend any of the oils the others have recommended. Castrol spends a lot on advertising trying to convince the public their oil is good but it’s junk! Delo 400 is far too thick for a modern engine and would cause far more sludge than Castrol oils a lot of Diesel engines don’t like Delo 400 like my old Nissan LD28 which burnt over 1 ltr between services and burnt nothing with other oils. And Valvaline Diesel Extra is a mineral oil and is not suitable for a turbo engine as all turbo engines MUST have synthetic or at least semi synthetic oil cos your turbo is spinning at over 100,000rpm. The oil I would recommend is 10w-40 and brand I recommend is Penrite. Penrite is good value here in NZ at about $90 for 10ltrs on special and YouTube test results on “Project Farm” shows that Penrite has good oil flow at below freezing and after being cooked at high temperatures and also tests show that Penrite has a lot of detergent which is important with Diesel engines check out the testing and Penrite is an Australian company. I use Penrite in my heavily modified WRX and at 210,000 of hard kms the oil level is still on the top mark on dipstick after 10,000km and is still golden colour. I also use Penrite in my NM Pajero 3.2 and used it in my old Challenger 2.8 td 4m40 with no worries at all and all my vehicles are driven very hard.
            02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Oldtimertruckie
              • Jul 2019
              • DIMBOOLA vic

Well lots of GREAT advice for a new owner of a05 PAJERO being a ex truckie for many many years i spoke to a old workshop mechanic who looks after a fleet of diesels motors well he reckons you cant go past penrite or castrol 15 w 40 so i think he knows whats going on and iv just brought the 05 pajero its got just over 200 thousand on clock and i will definitely need a service very soon and im listening to all here and thanks for you advice cheers from western vic

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Really, it doesn't matter that much what brand oils you use - as long as they have the correct classification. The most important thing is to change it regularly.. Sludge will build up in any oil if you do short cold runs all the time - even in the premium brands. Oil is cheap. Engines are not.

Comment

• MiteeWidge
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Townsville

Originally posted by saj View Post
                  I have used Delo400 multigrade from advice on this forum since I have had my NP 06. Has 250K on it and never been opened, bought it 10 year ago with 93K on the clock. Always done between 7.5K to 10K intervals with the Mitsubishi Value parts oil filter VS 000419 from Mitsu dealers.
                  2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009

There's a very good reason most trucks use delo 400.

Full synthetic is for extended oil change intervals, which we as pajero owners don't do.

It's the additive package that determines the "goodness" of the oil.

The base oil with additives determines the cold flow. Not whether it's synthetic or not. The viscosity is on the bottle. Ie 15w40. You should buy the weight that is required according to your owner's manual. Not what someone posts on the forums.

Delo 400 is the correct weight for most pajero owners, and it far exceeds the specifications required in the owner's manual. The new MGX version of delo 400 is a low ash oil as well which is friendly to DPF equipped vehicles.

I have seen many castrol oils that sludged even though they were changed often and confirmed to spec. Their gear oils are good, but as a mechanic of many years, I refuse to use castrol based on what I have experienced through the years.
                    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• pharb
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Tyers,Vic

Ironic that as a deisel mechanic for many years I love my Castrol RX Super. As does virtually evey mechanic that I have worked with that maintains their own 4wd.
                      One workshop I worked in used Valvoline in Cummins engines when under warranty and for everything else used RX Super. This is a well respected workshop that was turning away work 20 years ago, and still turns work away because their services are so respected and over subscribed.

I was a transport manager for a log transport company for a few years. 25 trucks serviced at 250hr intervals, which worked out to be about an oil change every 4 weeks. If we let the trucks go to 250hrs they lost enough oil pressure to often not keep the low oil pressure light off. Quite a few would have an "emergency" oil change in the afternoon to keep them going for a bit if we couldn't fit a full service in. Penrite oil. Admittedly though it was the cheapest Penrite oil the salesman said was suitable.

Turbo engines must have synthetic oil??? Never seen that written in any manufacture's service schedule. The better oils are synthetic, and as such synthetic oils will always be "better", but not must haves.

The company I work for at the moment runs about 55 trucks. A mixture of road trucks including road trains and off road trucks (fertiliser spreaders that run 710/50r30 tyres in place of 11r22.5). We only use a mixture of Castrol and BP oils. Which brand depends on the grade recommended by the engine manufacturer, but as the Castrol oils are labeled as made by BP I just consider them the same manufacturer. I gather BP owns Castrol.

In our Cummins and Kenworth engines (450 to 550hp) we use mineral based oils, except our most recent Cummins engine which dictates a semi synthetic, but that is principly because they have extended the oil changed intervals to 50,000km.

Our European engines (MAN, Scania, Volvo) all dictate mega $ synthetic oil, but they are running 60,000 plus oil change intervals.

My own cars - have only used Castrol RX Super for 20 years, but my poor old NJ 2.8L (turbo) doesn’t have any sludging issues, but it is only just run in at 450,000km. It has been a while between oil changes. Only does a few 1,000km a year now.

In my NX I use a semi synthetic BP, but that is only because I buy it by the litre from work for the same price I can buy a 20L drum of Castrol RX Super. A little more than $5/litre. Where as a drum of RX Super is about $110, $120. Only done 130,000km but still as clean as a whistle under the rocker cover when I last adjusted tappets.
                      PCOV Member 1107.
                      Daily driver NX GLX
                      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                        Ironic that as a deisel mechanic for many years I love my Castrol RX Super. As does virtually evey mechanic that I have worked with that maintains their own 4wd.
                        One workshop I worked in used Valvoline in Cummins engines when under warranty and for everything else used RX Super. This is a well respected workshop that was turning away work 20 years ago, and still turns work away because their services are so respected and over subscribed.

I was a transport manager for a log transport company for a few years. 25 trucks serviced at 250hr intervals, which worked out to be about an oil change every 4 weeks. If we let the trucks go to 250hrs they lost enough oil pressure to often not keep the low oil pressure light off. Quite a few would have an "emergency" oil change in the afternoon to keep them going for a bit if we couldn't fit a full service in. Penrite oil. Admittedly though it was the cheapest Penrite oil the salesman said was suitable.

Turbo engines must have synthetic oil??? Never seen that written in any manufacture's service schedule. The better oils are synthetic, and as such synthetic oils will always be "better", but not must haves.

The company I work for at the moment runs about 55 trucks. A mixture of road trucks including road trains and off road trucks (fertiliser spreaders that run 710/50r30 tyres in place of 11r22.5). We only use a mixture of Castrol and BP oils. Which brand depends on the grade recommended by the engine manufacturer, but as the Castrol oils are labeled as made by BP I just consider them the same manufacturer. I gather BP owns Castrol.

In our Cummins and Kenworth engines (450 to 550hp) we use mineral based oils, except our most recent Cummins engine which dictates a semi synthetic, but that is principly because they have extended the oil changed intervals to 50,000km.

Our European engines (MAN, Scania, Volvo) all dictate mega $ synthetic oil, but they are running 60,000 plus oil change intervals.

My own cars - have only used Castrol RX Super for 20 years, but my poor old NJ 2.8L (turbo) doesn’t have any sludging issues, but it is only just run in at 450,000km. It has been a while between oil changes. Only does a few 1,000km a year now.

In my NX I use a semi synthetic BP, but that is only because I buy it by the litre from work for the same price I can buy a 20L drum of Castrol RX Super. A little more than $5/litre. Where as a drum of RX Super is about $110, $120. Only done 130,000km but still as clean as a whistle under the rocker cover when I last adjusted tappets.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• saj
                          • Aug 2010
                          • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by pharb View Post

Thank you for sharing this with us. Really nice stuff here
                          2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009

Castrol RX seems to be the high end of the Castrol oils. So perhaps that is not soi bad.

However, there are two varieties

This one is CI-4 spec and NOT suitable for DPF engines
                            https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/D22ED6CA8B87B79E80257CAF007BAB26/$File/RX%20Super_111801_2013_11.pdf

This one is CJ-4 (same as delo 400 MGX) and is suitable for DPF engines
                            https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8CE51AACB536E250802583C90001FA0D/$File/BPXE-AXD794.pdf

So be careful which one you use if the vehicle has a DPF system.
                            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Oldtimertruckie
                              • Jul 2019
                              • DIMBOOLA vic

Thanks for your wise comment i dont intend to rush out and buy any old oil but after watching farm on YouTube i see where u comeing from very much appreciate your input and you say 3.2 engines need a good quality oil so thanks again cheers steve dimboola vic

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X