• Show
Clear All
  • Achilles
    • Jul 2019
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay.
    Looking at the data, I don’t think it’s the fuel rail pressure relief valve as it is faulting at different pressures (and twice going down a curb). If it was the fuel rail pressure relief valve, I’d expect it to occur at a constant pressure.
    I’m only a backyard mechanic, but if it was my car, I’d check the continuity of the pressure sensor to ECU wiring (both static & and with someone wiggling the loom in various places), and clean the connector.
    I think I’d then replace the the fuel rail pressure sensor. I can’t guarantee it’s the problem but, at about $150, it’s not to expensive and the equivalent of about 1 hr of labour at Mitsubishi.
    Before you change it, I’d also be interested to see if a tap of the the fuel rail pressure sensor (with the engine running) would cause it to fault. If it does it would confirm the theory (but if it doesn’t, it doesn’t disprove it).
    The other component that effects fuel rail pressure is the suction control valve, but I don’t think it’s the problem. It costs about $250 but you should also have a SQL (small quantity relearn) done by Mitsubishi afterwards (unsure on price - $150?). If the SCV was faulty, I wouldn’t have expected it to run better with the the fuel rail pressure sensor disconnected (when the sensor is disconnected, the ECU uses a limp mode and substitutes a set base valve so the engine will run).
    Just fit the new sensor, and now I can't clear the engine codes... Incompatible new sensor? It was a cheap one from ebay, but the seller had 100% feedback and it's the same part number.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Achilles View Post
      Just fit the new sensor, and now I can't clear the engine codes... Incompatible new sensor? It was a cheap one from ebay, but the seller had 100% feedback and it's the same part number.
      Did you do the other tests I suggested?
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Achilles
        • Jul 2019
        • Brisbane

Did you do the other tests I suggested?
        Yes, cleaned the connectors, checked the integrity of wires all along, and did the tap test (negative). In the end, I bought a new sensor off the shelf (goss brand) and hooked that up. Seems to be working! Guess it must have been the cheap ebay sensor at fault. Took it for a quick test drive and no issues. I want to take it for a longer drive before I say that it's fixed though. Will update this thread just in case anyone else has similar issues.

Really appreciate the help, geopaj! Your diagnostic approach has saved me pulling my hair out 👍

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Achilles View Post
          Yes, cleaned the connectors, checked the integrity of wires all along, and did the tap test (negative). In the end, I bought a new sensor off the shelf (goss brand) and hooked that up. Seems to be working! Guess it must have been the cheap ebay sensor at fault. Took it for a quick test drive and no issues. I want to take it for a longer drive before I say that it's fixed though. Will update this thread just in case anyone else has similar issues.

Really appreciate the help, geopaj! Your diagnostic approach has saved me pulling my hair out 👍
          That’s great news! Please let me know after a couple of days how it’s going.

Worst case scenario, if if it’s not fixed, your still progressing through the diagnostic process (at a MUCH cheaper rate that MM)!

I’m intrigued to know where you got the Goss sensor from & how much it cost. I didn’t realise Goss made them so I probably overpaid for mine
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Achilles
            • Jul 2019
            • Brisbane

That’s great news! Please let me know after a couple of days how it’s going.

Worst case scenario, if if it’s not fixed, your still progressing through the diagnostic process (at a MUCH cheaper rate that MM)!

I’m intrigued to know where you got the Goss sensor from & how much it cost. I didn’t realise Goss made them so I probably overpaid for mine
            Put a couple of hundred kilometres on her and still running flawlessly! Your advice saved me a fortune - like you said, I'm sure MM would've made a nice stack from this!

The Goss sensor goes for $186 but my friend got it on his trade account for around $150. Here's a link: https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...iABEgJcFPD_BwE

The cheap ebay one had the same part number, but didn't explicitly specify Pajero compatibility. So it was my own fault for assuming the part number would be enough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X