• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonwill
    • Apr 2013
    • Melbourne

NJ Front diff gasket/seal - leaking

Hi All,
    I did a search but couldn't find what I was after.
    After some nice rock bashing on the weekend,
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuTEvrK97s)

I managed to give the front diff a wack, nothing to serious, but it is now weaping oil from around the front cover (the one the filler bolt is in)
    I called Repco, Bursons, and finally mitisu spare parts, they and they said that there is no listed gasket or seal for the front of the diff housing. He recommended using silicone (RTV).

What are peoples thoughts? has anyone pulled the front cover off the front diff before, and re-sealed it with silicone?

Thanks

Dale
    1996 NJ GLX - 3.5 DOHC V6. BFG Muddies, ARB Bar, Warn Winch, ARB Compressor, Old Man Emu. 408,000 kms original engine!
  • dolphin
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008

yes remove the cover plate and give a good clean to both inner face sides .
    put the cover on a flat table just to check its not buckled up abit, if not apply the correct oil resistant silicon sealant [ Permatex Ultra Grey ] to both sides; diff and diff plate and tension up lightly all bolts evenly bit by bit by hand only and leave sit for atleast 3 hours then tension up another full turn to all bolts. re check the bolt tensions after a week so for now leave the front bash plate off. just remember the idea of using this gasket maker silicon is to leave some thickness when the job is finished , do not over tension as the sealant will squirt out and become too flat.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Sonwill
      • Apr 2013
      • Melbourne

Thanks for the quick reply!

Will give it a go on the weekend, gotta get ready for the next trip

As for the bash plate, if you saw in the video - I am going to need to do some surgery!!
      1996 NJ GLX - 3.5 DOHC V6. BFG Muddies, ARB Bar, Warn Winch, ARB Compressor, Old Man Emu. 408,000 kms original engine!

Comment

• pajeroman3lt
        • Nov 2012
        • taree

Watched the vid. Dude, that was harsh. You need some bigger tyres with grip.lol.

Comment

• Sonwill
          • Apr 2013
          • Melbourne

Yes, Yes I do! The BF ATs came with the car, and have plenty of meat on them. So bit hard to justify throwing them out just yet .
          Once they are done, I will be looking at something a bit more aggressive. Not sure what yet.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X