• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DPP
    • Jan 2010
    • Newcastle NSW

4WD dash lights

Hi all.

Before I get yelled at to use the search button, which I did and not really an answer to my issue!!

My NJ manual has developed an intermittent issue with the 4wd lights on dash.

This is the sequence of lights I'm getting.

2H - Normal 2 bottom lights.
    4H - Bottom 2 lights, no top lights.
    4HLc - Bottom 2 lights, amber centre diff light, no top lights
    4LLc - All lights!!

I thought it may have been blown globes until I got to 4LLc and they all worked so thats not it.
    Took it for a drive and it is selecting 2H then 4H then 4HLc, neutral and 4LLc and then back again but only shows the lights in the order above. I turned the car off and back on again and it lit the lights up as normal. I went back through the sequence and the lights stopped working as they had before. I only get the correct lights in 4LLc and 2H.

It feels fine to drive but not sure what is happening to the lights and how to go about fixing it!!

Cheers
    My Photography website

www.tigheshillphotography.com

http://www.flickr.com/wollongongVerada

1994 Red NJ LWB Pajero. 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body lift, 33" Maxxis Bighorn's on 15x8 rims, Roo Lites 220 Spotlights, Steel Roof cage, LED Lightbar, ARB Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, Front Lokka, freewheeling hubs and various odds and ends!!
  • tinman
    • Nov 2009

Try Putting it in 4wd and reverse for 50-100 meters.. not guaranteed, but fixed mine..

Dirt gets in the solenoid generally and screws around with the actuator enabling the lights..

I could go on but try this first.

Comment

• liam
      • Feb 2008
      • chadstone

Originally posted by DPP View Post
      Hi all.

Before I get yelled at to use the search button, which I did and not really an answer to my issue!!

My NJ manual has developed an intermittent issue with the 4wd lights on dash.

This is the sequence of lights I'm getting.

2H - Normal 2 bottom lights.
      4H - Bottom 2 lights, no top lights.
      4HLc - Bottom 2 lights, amber centre diff light, no top lights
      4LLc - All lights!!

I thought it may have been blown globes until I got to 4LLc and they all worked so thats not it.
      Took it for a drive and it is selecting 2H then 4H then 4HLc, neutral and 4LLc and then back again but only shows the lights in the order above. I turned the car off and back on again and it lit the lights up as normal. I went back through the sequence and the lights stopped working as they had before. I only get the correct lights in 4LLc and 2H.

It feels fine to drive but not sure what is happening to the lights and how to go about fixing it!!

Cheers
      hi check the wiring to the connectors and make sure none of it is broken

Comment

• xsm
        • Mar 2010
        • ACT

My guess would be that one or more of the 5 switches on top of the transfer case is faulty.
        Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

• Tin Man
          • Sep 2009
          • Brisbane

Mine's been working flawlessly since I unplugged all the connections and sprayed them with WD40. Might work for you, might not - but it's basically free and only took half an hour (I did literally every connection I could see, in the engine bay and under the car, cos I had a few other dash light issues goin on), and it could save you a trip to the mechanic$.

Worth a shot.
          1998 NL Pajero GLS, Petrol, Auto, LSD, bog standard (for now), 265/70R16 Maxxis Bravo 751 A/T, Outback Ideas Bush Hook - 10,000lbs

Comment

• 4ePikanini
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by xsm View Post
            My guess would be that one or more of the 5 switches on top of the transfer case is faulty.
            +1

search my username on google - I have posted a few topics about it.

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
            1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
            2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
            2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X