• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Replace front bearings NP

What's the approx cost to replace both front bearings on a 2003 NP petrol auto? Had a look at them today and can't see how to get a socket onto the back four bolts. Thinking maybe getting someone who knows what they're doing instead of risking it myself.
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
    What's the approx cost to replace both front bearings on a 2003 NP petrol auto? Had a look at them today and can't see how to get a socket onto the back four bolts. Thinking maybe getting someone who knows what they're doing instead of risking it myself.
    I've seen some difference of opinions here but my NM 2002 are not changeable, you buy new hubs that have the new bearings already pressed in.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Skexis
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2012
      • Adelaide

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. There are four bolts that hold the hub in place and it's these I can't see an easy way to get to.
      "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

I've done one on front wheel of NS which I believe is the same as a gen3 from memory. I removed the steering knuckle and worked from there.

NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Skexis
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2012
          • Adelaide

There's a piece that hoses mount to on top of the hub that I can get off reasonably easily but the bolts next to the fitting that looks like a dodgy bicycle sprocket that are the issue. I'd be worried about rounding them off if I tried to use an open ended spanner.
          Attached Files

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

That "sprocket" is the ABS sensor ring. I think that you have to undo the main axle nut (32 or 26 mm
            socket required, then remove the upper and lower ball joints and then remove the whole hub assembly. Then you can access the 4 bolts you are questioning.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Looking at the Gen 3 Service a Manual, you need to remove the hub and steering knuckle as an assembly, then unbolt the hub from the steering knuckle once it is off the car.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Scooby
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2011
                • Ipswich, Qld.

Once off you may need a press or a very big hammer to get the hub out of the knuckle.
                Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• GHendo
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Northern NSW

As OJ said, you have to remove the whole steering knuckle with the hub still inside, then take it to someone with a press to have it pushed out – from memory there are a couple of bolts that screw the hub to the knuckle that need to be removed first. Some members on here have got the hub out of the knuckle using various methods, but by far the easiest is to get it pushed out with a press. Once out, put some anti-seize grease on the new hub then have it pressed back into the knuckle. Don’t forget that when you get all this back together, have a wheel alignment done too.

Cheers

Geoff
                  03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X