• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rahk
    • May 2010
    • Wellington, NZ

reversing light failure

Has anyone experienced problems with the reversing lights not working on a Gen 2 swb paj.
    Any pointers on what to look at and where other than fuses and bulbs. Cheers
    92 SWB 3L manual, 2inch body lift, 33" 764's, XD 9000 warn winch, Rock Sliders and body bars, snorkel, ball joint flip and torsion bar wind-up.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

on my LWB NL, I had the reversing light switch short out, blowing the fuse. This, in turn, brought up the SRS light. Eventually, I found the reversing light switch on the side of the gearbox, and replaced it. All good after that.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

I’ll second erad’s comment. The Switch is on the gearbox. I think you can access it from the removable panel under the centre console around about the handbrake lever. There isn’t a lot of space though. I seem to recall cutting an 18/19mm spanner in half.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
        I’ll second erad’s comment. The Switch is on the gearbox. I think you can access it from the removable panel under the centre console around about the handbrake lever. There isn’t a lot of space though. I seem to recall cutting an 18/19mm spanner in half.
        I don't know about the SWB, but in my NL, there was no hatch to the top of the gearbox. I think I had the V5M31 gearbox, and eventually I found the switch on the left side of the gearbox, about half way up. You may have a different gearbox. I found it from watching a Youtube video. Regular spanner got it off, but I cannot remember which size. For what it is worth, the local Mits dealer couldn't find the switch listed in their spare parts, but I got a Tridon one from the local auto parts shop.

Comment

• Bladesy
          • Feb 2019
          • Norah head

Do you have a picture of where this was. I am having this issue. I can see multiple plugs on the left side of the gearbox. Not sure what I need to pull out to replace

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Not sure what model you have but try this youtube video. From memory, I used this vid to find the reversing switch on my NL. ..

All the workshop manuals say this is in a different location to what it is. The car is a 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5L, 5 Speed Manual with Super-Select transf...

Comment

• HarryStottle
              • Dec 2011
              • Yalata SA

Don't forget, when removing the old switch, it is ok to cut the connector off, it is already buggered.
              Then you can get a ring spanner on it to remove without needing to cut your spanner. Installing is not so hard as you don't need it overly tight and can use the open end of the spanner but getting the old ones off is much easier with the ring end.
              2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• Bladesy
                • Feb 2019
                • Norah head

Originally posted by HarryStottle View Post
                Don't forget, when removing the old switch, it is ok to cut the connector off, it is already buggered.
                Then you can get a ring spanner on it to remove without needing to cut your spanner. Installing is not so hard as you don't need it overly tight and can use the open end of the spanner but getting the old ones off is much easier with the ring end.
                Replaced the switch and it still didn’t fix the issue. Sigh. Fixed the fuse too it’s no longer blowing fuses at least. Need to keep tracing my wires. Something isn’t working. The bulbs looked fine too

Comment

• aussieguy
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bladesy View Post
                  Replaced the switch and it still didn’t fix the issue. Sigh. Fixed the fuse too it’s no longer blowing fuses at least. Need to keep tracing my wires. Something isn’t working. The bulbs looked fine too
                  Does it have a towbar?

The wiring from factory for towbars is horrible, and can be the cause of many issues.
                  05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                  02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• Drewan
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Adelaide

not being a prick but tried them with the lights on ? I had huge issues with mine couldn't get them working and needed them to trigger the reversing camera. Hooked the camera in and it triggered in reverse but still no lights. Only time mine come on are when the headlights are on
                    Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Silly question (they are easier to answer than logical ones) but did you have the ignition switch on and in reverse gear when you tested the lights?

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Sydney

As erad mentions the ignition needs to be on. If you've still got trouble I'd recheck the harness connection on the new switch. That plug sits in the grit and water and may not be sealing as well as when it came out of the factory.
                        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Bladesy
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Norah head

Originally posted by erad View Post
                          Silly question (they are easier to answer than logical ones) but did you have the ignition switch on and in reverse gear when you tested the lights?
                          Haha. Yes I did. Even got the missus to start the car and hold on the clutch

Comment

• Bladesy
                            • Feb 2019
                            • Norah head

Originally posted by aussieguy View Post
                            Does it have a towbar?

The wiring from factory for towbars is horrible, and can be the cause of many issues.
                            Yes it does have a towbar. The wiring was dodgy. I couldn’t see where the reverse was looped in. In fact it wasn’t at all. I tried running a wire from the reverse light to the tow bar wiring. But that didn’t work either. It’s going in tomorrow for the timing belt. Might see if they know anything

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X