• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    Before this incident, I've never broken anything in a drive train - I don't drive that hard.
    I can attest to this - before Scott's incident, I had just climbed the same hill in my NT and was watching Scott when he drove the same hill and disaster struck (Me and a few others also helped get it back to camp).

Definitely wasn't getting driven hard or being abused.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• letsgoplaces
      • Jul 2014
      • Adelaide

Sorry John.

Their initial inspection claimed it was the failure of the CV due to abuse that triggered the failure in the transfer case, and they gave me a quote to repair it all. At that stage, they hadn't disassembled the transfer case.

I explained that I didn't accept that explanation, along with some reasons for why, and that I wanted to ask Mitsubishi to contribute to the repair. That's when they agreed to remove & disassemble the transfer, and they haven't called me since.

Last week, a representative of Mitsubishi's SA office was due to visit the dealer (for other reasons - not to see my transfer case) and the Service Manager intended to discuss the issue with him. He also stated that he would send my request for assistance "up the line", which is entirely reasonable - this isn't a decision for the dealer to make.

I didn't expect anything to happen quickly, but it would be nice to receive an occasional update. Having said that, I had to wait in the Service Reception while another customer had a long-winded whinge about EGRs and inlet manifold blockages, so I understand that the Service Department does have other things to deal with...

Thanks for that explanation Scott.
      Hopefully the SA rep had a look at it and at the same time got an unbiased description of how the damage occurred, and you get a timely resolution.

Cheers
      John

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

I have heard of low range gears failing in an NP transfer case, which Mitsubishi replaced under warranty with no questions asked - presumably, they chalked that up to a manufacturing defect.

I believe this is the same failure.
        Oh, GREAT !! Now you've got me worried

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Update: Today I rang the dealer to enquire. My "goodwill repair" request was sent to Mitsubishi at the beginning of last week, and no answer as of yet. The Service Manager kept me on line while he did a lot of key punching (played a game of Tetris, for all I know ) and said there was no response in the system.

Apparently, because of the value of the repair, the request has gone to the top of the Australian tree. So I continue to wait. And hope.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Good luck Scott, hope they come to the party
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• DaveE66
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2010
              • Mannum SA

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
              I would contact Mitsu customer relations not wait for dealer action.

I agree, when I claimed my driveshaft the dealer said mitsi said no to goodwill claim. I contacted mitsi direct and what do you know they agreed to pay half.
              Last edited by Gus; 18-08-15, 05:46 PM. Reason: PM sent
              NS DiD VRX, ARB Steel Bar, Roo Lites, Safari Snorkel, GME UHF, 2" Lift, Poly Airs, Dual Batteries, Cooper Tyres, Ecu remap, 3inch exhaust, Imax 12000lb Winch,

Comment

• Kumabear
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2013
                • Sydney, Macarther Region

Good luck mate hopefully MMAL come to the party and help out, I always hope there is someone in customer relations just watching threads like this unfold.

That may not even be a thing who knows but if it was they would surely realise that the huge amount of goodwill earned by helping a member of a very public forum out is worth more money in the long run than any of the huge amount of cash they spend on advertising every year.
                2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• conquistador
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • sth east queensland

Update: Today I rang the dealer to enquire. My "goodwill repair" request was sent to Mitsubishi at the beginning of last week, and no answer as of yet. The Service Manager kept me on line while he did a lot of key punching (played a game of Tetris, for all I know ) and said there was no response in the system.

Apparently, because of the value of the repair, the request has gone to the top of the Australian tree. So I continue to wait. And hope.
                  its probably with the local warranty engineer, who is on holidays

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Well, the phone call came through.

Not unexpectedly, they have opted to not participate in a goodwill repair, claiming that twin diff locks placed too much load on the drive train, leading to the transfer case failing under excessive load.

If you're in low range first gear, Mitsubishi are relying on wheels spinning to protect the transfer case.

I've spoken to two automotive engineers, and they both agree - the transfer won't be sized by Mitsubishi to cope with the full torque in low range first gear. Even if a forensic analysis proved there was a pre-existing defect in the transfer, the chance of obtaining a judgement in a court and having it stick is pretty slim - the cost of the forensic report, if it found something, would probably be more than a replacement transfer.

So, officially, the transfer failed under load.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• schnitzel
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • Bendigo

Actually not surprised at there answer, know it hurts the back pocket but don't think any manufacturer would wear it with the mods you have. Don't get me wrong don't think it's 100% right but can understand their logic.
                      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

Not a good outcome for you unfortunately, yes can understand but would've thought they'd help out pricing wise.. Let's be honest we all add mods & yes they can effect the drive train under load, more so than if left stock. However, I'd also have to point out that I haven't heard of one failing like yours!
                        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2000
                          • Tasmania

Not unexpectedly, they have opted to not participate in a goodwill repair, claiming that twin diff locks placed too much load on the drive train, leading to the transfer case failing under excessive load.

[1]:
                          Just a cop out, IMO I have been running dual lockers for years in my Paj & havent done a transfer case. In fact Mitsu cases are overbuilt compared to others.
                          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Adelaide

Not unexpectedly, they have opted to not participate in a goodwill repair
                            bugga

Are you going to give them the repair?

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                              Just a cop out, IMO I have been running dual lockers for years in my Paj & havent done a transfer case. In fact Mitsu cases are overbuilt compared to others.
                              That's what I've always thought, and I was surprised when two automotive engineers that I know & trust supported Mitsubishi's argument - they calculate an expected "resistance" from the tyres on a particular surface, and presume that the torque required to make one of the tyres break traction is the most that the drivetrain will ever see. Aggressive off-road tyres at 15psi with all diffs locked doesn't enter their equations.

I did some maths:
                              • Peak torque of 440Nm
                              • Torque converter stall ratio 1.85:1
                              • First gear 3.52:1
                              • Low Range 1.9:1

That works out at 5444Nm on the main shaft in the transfer case. According to Mitsubishi, that's enough to strip the low range gears.

Ian, can you do the same calcs with your setup?

Originally posted by letsgoplaces View Post
                              bugga

Are you going to give them the repair?
                              Hi John,

If there's a silver lining to this, I now have freedom to chase low-range reduction gears. So I can produce even more torque in low range in the next transfer case.

Mitsubishi had previously quoted to supply & install a front driveshaft from a (relatively) low km wreck - I'm happy with the price they quoted, so I've asked them to see if the parts are still available, and replace both front shafts. In my opinion, it was the failure of the transfer gears that caused the CV to shatter, so the other front CVs are in question. I'm trying not to think about the rear CVs.

As I'm chasing options to supply an "upgrade", I'll also ask about install options. Fundamentally, I have no issues with having them fit a new transfer case, but first I need to buy one. Depending on what I find where, I might have it fitted somewhere else.

I can't really argue with the Service Manager - it's not his decision and he's stuck in the middle, towing the company line.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X