• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jop
    • Oct 2008
    • brisbane

All done, very happy.

Slight noise increase over the new exhaust, definately flowing better although the fitter said the stock dump wasn't too bad.

$500 for a full system + the dump flange from ebay

Huge difference in drivabilty - love it.

EGT gauge to be fitted, then off to diesel tuner to tidy it all up

Comment

• NIZLAH
      • Oct 2012
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by jop View Post
      All done, very happy.

Slight noise increase over the new exhaust, definately flowing better although the fitter said the stock dump wasn't too bad.

$500 for a full system + the dump flange from ebay

Huge difference in drivabilty - love it.

EGT gauge to be fitted, then off to diesel tuner to tidy it all up

ah nice good to hear... is the system mandrel bent? I may consider paying them a visit if so for that price.... just mild steel I assume also... what size is the dump?

Comment

• jop
        • Oct 2008
        • brisbane

Not mandrel bent - for the 2.5 i reckon 2.5" press bent flows well enough, gambled and paid off.

Yep, Mild steel.

I have a K&N intake fitted as well - which made a difference before the exhaust.

Comment

• NIZLAH
          • Oct 2012
          • Brisbane

yeah I was doubtful that it would be mandrel for that price, I still think I am going to make my own system and just have a shop do the dump at this stage to save some dollars, stainless pipe and bends that I need will cost me around $160ish, still tossing up whether or not to add a muffler under there, prob will so a few more dollars there.

All I need is the time and motivation to get stuck in...

Comment

• mctimmy85
            • Feb 2013
            • warana, qld

Originally posted by NIZLAH View Post
            So I gave Scott's Rods a call today and they seem to be the go to mob for a custom dump pipe, very helpful and willing to make just the dump alone if I wish. Quoted $350-420 for a dump $1000 for full system, but going to make my own since pipe is cheap and I like welding projects.

Said they don't have anything off the shelf, but are possibly doing a system in a few weeks and may have something then, which is fine as it gives me a while to collect the bits I need.
            rang scotts rods to got quoted $1100 for full custom dump pipe+3" turbo back system... but hes going to need the car for two days
            CURRENT RIDE: 1995 mitsubish NJ pajero wagon GLS 2.8TDI 5spd. 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, tube winch bar, 12000lb tigerz11 winch, snorkel, sliders, driving lights&light bar, asin? f/w hubs, 34" simex jt2's for mudwork.

Comment

• NIZLAH
              • Oct 2012
              • Brisbane

I have committed myself to a full engine rebuild atm after a bad stint at the mechanics, so while the engine is out I'm making a 3" dump to go with a new kinguawa upgrade turbo, bought there flange also, not much space so its going to be tricky but I'll make it work... just got to order some gas for the mig... rest of exhaust will be done also..

Comment

• dirtypaj
                • Mar 2011
                • toowoomba

I have committed myself to a full engine rebuild atm after a bad stint at the mechanics, so while the engine is out I'm making a 3" dump to go with a new kinguawa upgrade turbo, bought there flange also, not much space so its going to be tricky but I'll make it work... just got to order some gas for the mig... rest of exhaust will be done also..

be careful with those cheap chinese turbos mate, they are definitely a case of you get what you pay for, i know first hand of 3 that have failed. one came brand new with shaft play, another had the oil inlet connection crack at the turbo and piss out oil, and the third im not 100% sure what happened but the compressor wheel seized and wouldnt spin. Also most of them are not ball bearing and very poor casting. you'd be better spending a little more for a second hand brand name ball bearing turbo.
                nl gls ute, custom barwork, soon to be either turbo 6g74 or ls1

Comment

• NIZLAH
                  • Oct 2012
                  • Brisbane

Haven't heard anything overly bad about kinugawa turbo's, mostly good tbh so hopefully it doesn't cause any problems. (they aren't chinese either) I'm sure the factory unit isn't ball bearing either, this to me makes no real world difference in this application

Comment

• dirtypaj
                    • Mar 2011
                    • toowoomba

Haven't heard anything overly bad about kinugawa turbo's, mostly good tbh so hopefully it doesn't cause any problems. (they aren't chinese either) I'm sure the factory unit isn't ball bearing either, this to me makes no real world difference in this application

all good just letting you know my personal experience with them . and where are they from?

Comment

• NIZLAH
                      • Oct 2012
                      • Brisbane

Yeah no that's good to hear mate, I will check it over thoroughly upon receiving it.
                      They are a Japanese company, although made in Taiwan I believe, plenty of good talk about them on the net, a few bad things also but like anything your not going to find a one sided argument for or against.

Ive got to work out how I'm going to plum in the water cooling lines on it since the option is there I may as well take advantage of it.

Comment

• dirtypaj
                        • Mar 2011
                        • toowoomba

well fingers crossed you have better luck with them, make sure to update us once its up and going again

Comment

• NIZLAH
                          • Oct 2012
                          • Brisbane

yeah for sure, may take a few months but I'm physched' Turbo and dump flange arrived today. Looks and feels of decent quality to me, only one way to find out I guess fingers crossed all goes well

Comment

• mctimmy85
                            • Feb 2013
                            • warana, qld

so i decided to have a go at making up my own dump pipe.

I Brought a turbo/dump pipe flange from kinugawa on ebay, and some mandrel-bend pipes
                            (2x 3" 45degree bends, 1x 2" 90degree bend, 1x 3" straight pipe, 3" flexi-joint, 1x 3" exhaust flange, 1x 3" 90degree bend) from onestop exhaust shop off ebay.

i got got the dump pipe flange and by using the gasket i drilled/cut/grinded the turbo/wastegate holes out to maxmise flow.

then i took one of the 3" 45degree bends, and cut, grounded& crushed one end to the shape of the flange hole.
                            (ended being closer to a 30-20 degree bend off the back turbo once i was done cutting& triming)
                            numerous trial fits later to make sure i had clearance off the gearbox, chassis & firewall, i tacked it in place.

then i took a 3" offcut from the 45degree bend, and bent/ground it to cover the wastegate hole off the flange and flow back into the main pipe.

once i trial fitted it again, i finallly welded the dump pipe to the flange.

next i took the other 3" 45degree bend and with the turbo dump pipe in place, to get the angle of the bottom half of the dump pipe.
                            little more grinding& hammering, the angle was right and tack n welded the bottom section up . Luckily i had just enough mig wire to finish the job.
                            CURRENT RIDE: 1995 mitsubish NJ pajero wagon GLS 2.8TDI 5spd. 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, tube winch bar, 12000lb tigerz11 winch, snorkel, sliders, driving lights&light bar, asin? f/w hubs, 34" simex jt2's for mudwork.

Comment

• mctimmy85
                              • Feb 2013
                              • warana, qld

Next weekend when i have more mig wire.
                              I'll drill n weld the EGT probe bung into place, grind the welds smooth, and finish the rest of the exhaust hopefully. i.e flexi-joint, exhaust flange, and rest of the exhaust pipe back to the rear bar.

Comment

• mctimmy85
                                • Feb 2013
                                • warana, qld

Heres a thread off 4wd action of a bloke who made up a dump pipe for his 4m40t powered mk triton.
                                might be usefull as a loose guide.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X