• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

OzTent Bunker...any good?

As one grows to a more mature age in their life, its seems to be getting a bit more difficult it crawling and getting out of the swag.
    The swag has served its purpose, but i am looking for a "better" 4wd Touring set up.
    Thus the OzTent Bunker seems to tick a few boxes, with respect to being off the ground, easier to get out of bed in the morning.
    There is the new XL, version out and it is a bit longer and wider than the original model...but the covering is made of a nylon composite material.
    I need an owners long time review on the Oz Tent Bunker, if there are any in the forum...the good points but also the not so good points.
  • Scouter1
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2013
    • Sydney NSW

Just completed a three week trip across the Simpson with a Bunker (canvas) - quick & easy to put up and down, compact once packed, comfy to sleep in, very adjustable regarding ventilation. Can recommend strongly, one of the best tents I have used for quite a while.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Attached Files
    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I've owned a bunker for about five years now. I also used mine across the Simpson desert, twice, and on countless 4WD weekends away.
      It's great. I find it I need to add a thin self-inflating mattress and it is comfortable and like sleeping at home. In fact I was so impressed I bought a second one. When looking for the second one, I found a half price (~$200) ripoff available, but when I compared the quality, going for the real mccoy was a no brainer.

Sets up in no time, is comfy, works just as well on rocky/uneven ground, and packs up quite small.
      Never used it in really stormy conditions, but in rainy times I either setup under the foxwing, or you need to tied down the bottom end rope to ensure the water doesn't pool on the fly above your feet. If it does, you'll have wet feet and sleeping bag

My one criticism is the carry bag is a fraction small, so putting it away each time takes a bit longer than it should.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Peterng
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Northern Rivers NSW

Well, I hit the www to buy two of the Jet Tent Bunkers and what a story I can tell you...
        So here goes...
        Last week I found myself down in Melbourne out near Laverton, visiting clan for 4 days...
        Yippeee..off to the "Camping Stores" I go to check out the Jet Tent Bunker in the flesh, just to get the low down before I splash down some hard earned on them.
        So with a smile on the dial...away I went..BCF, Rays, Anaconda, Kathmandu from Braybrook, across to Taylor's lakes, out to Werribee, Point Cook...nothing...not a JetTent Bunker to be had on display nor in their shops...why?
        Well it seems you can only get them from the stores web site but not actually in the stores, you can see the Oz Trial version in some selected some stores...the Jet Tent Bunker nada.
        So I headed back to Darwin, glum...4 days and not a Jet Tent Bunker in the flesh to feel, lie down in and contemplate my financial navel.
        Then whilst staying in Darwin for an next day flight out to Gove...I saw an Ad for Anaconda store just down the road from the Airport Resort...
        Into the rental I got and fanged it down to Anaconda...they had some knock off's but not the real deal...
        But...there in amongst the lot in the Tent Section, I spied a Jet Tent Bunker bag...
        Ummmmm...
        Bugga it...I got the sucker out, unzipped the bag and then set about putting the it together with the other half...3 minutes later it was all set up..with the other half all stretched out..
        Solid zips, good mozzie mesh, good welds, replaceable bolts, yep...a good quality that should last.
        I've got a Jet Tent Camping Chair and it is doing well..

The store attendant came around to check us out...
        Price..$589.00.it was a bit steep buying from Anaconda...so I get on the iPhone...and Tent World web page showed $449.00 incl free shipping over $99
        Asked if Anaconda will match the Tent World price...including shipping to Gove..
        "Nah" was the answer..."We have a sale on at present, that's the bottom line price we have $589.00 plus postage."
        So Tent World got the gig...
        Anyway...thank you Anaconda Darwin..take a pat on the back...the only camping store out of 6 that I visited whilst in Melbourne to have the Jet Tent bunker in the flesh...even if it was still in the bag and not on display.
        It took us 5 minutes to pack it away back in its bag..
        Can't wait...
        Last edited by Peterng; 23-07-17, 10:48 PM. Reason: spelling...isn't it always!

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

They just arrived on Friday, unpacked and played with them to get the feel of "just getting to know" how they fold out and pack up.
          First impressions, very sturdy, robust stretcher and well put together.
          They are quiet big and roomy inside which is nice as you do not get that claustrophobic feeling when lying down on the stretcher.
          They are some pockets on the inside where you can put your "Nicks and Knack's", plus there is a couple of "loops' where you can hang a LED lamp for inside lighting.
          The Midgee netting is good as it should protect us from the many "insect nasties" the NT is famous for, plus with the excellent ventilation on all sides, it helps when camping in the humid parts of the season.
          A nice thing is that you are off the ground, so "getting out" in the morning will no be such a chore as we do now with the swag on the ground.
          They pack up quiet compact when compared to the double swag we have, whilst they weigh about the same.
          Price...well, delivered to the front door..$455.00 each, so they are on the "upper" end of the price scale.
          I have seen similar for about $200.00, but the quality doesn't seem to be up to standard and we have heaps of camping excursions ahead for these two Jet Tent Bunkers.
          So in the next couple of weeks we will be out camping, putting these Jet Tent Bunkers through their paces and see what they are like in the real world.
          Attached Files

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

It will be interesting to see how you like the midgee proof netting in your climate. Midgee proof netting is almost a necessity in some places, but I find them very hot, due to the very small weave as it doesn't allow much airflow. The trade off's we have to have I guess.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Garc
              • May 2015
              • Perth

I'm using the Anaconda Dune knock off. All good and packs so that it stands vertically in the back of the Pajero. I added a self inflating mattress. At $170 when on sale.
              Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• aus_andyk
                • Nov 2013
                • Melbourne

Would the bunker fit the Exped Megamat 10, as I find it provides the most comfort for my bad back? Currently using a stretcher & swag, but this setup suffers poor ventilation.
                | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• aus_andyk
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Melbourne

Just read Q&As on Snowys Outdoors for Jet Bunker XL, & they said it fits, so answered my own question. Cheers
                  | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

OzTent Bunker...any good?

We are doing a shake down with these Bunkers and so far they are pretty good.
                    Very easy to set up within 60seconds and your done.
                    It's a bit more with the fly, but up here in East Arnhemland during the dry..there is no need.
                    The ventilation is very good, excellent really, plus the fine mesh the nasties are kept at bay.
                    Plus the dog likes getting under it for shade..
                    The mesh zips seem to be a bit small and light on with construction plus the zipper teeth are pretty fine. It is only time and the dust will tell if the zippers are up to it.

A beauty of the stretcher, regardless of it's a type / model is that you are getting out of the sleeping position similar to a bed.
                    This is a bloody blessing, better than crawling around on hands and knees..when using a swag.
                    Plus being off the ground..ants, insects and during rain events...your bedding will be dry.
                    Yep, the bunker type of stretcher swag regardless of type or manufacturer ...worth a serious look if you are going to do 4wd touring weekends.
                    They start from about $170.00 to about $450.00..so there is one for any budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Peterng; 09-09-17, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Peterng
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Northern Rivers NSW

I think this would be a 3 year review on the Oz Tent Bunker and 3 years on..its still going strong.
                      When we did a Central Australia trip on the way down from Arnhemland I had a tear on the lower mattress part of the Jet Tent. In Mataranka I rang Oz Tent told them the problem and emailed them the picture..It was replaced by warranty when I was in Adelaide...great service.
                      We have used the Jet Tent bunker in numerous ways...staying at relatives places who are short on bedding...out comes the Bunker and problem solved..the legs of the bed are well designed and solidly built which helps when you may have to set up on rough ground..
                      I was camped at Dalmorton near Grafton with some fellow 4wders..I set up the Bunker with the cover fly due to the threat of rain..done in a couple of minutes...others had swags with ground sheets..setting up poles and stuff...it did rain that night..some in the swags had their mattress wet as the water pooled against their swag and seeped in...me..I was sleeping 500mm above it all and dry as..
                      At Xmas...like many.. we are heading off to relatives..take the Bunkers....set up outside and a bit of backyard camping..
                      I have found they are brilliant for 4wd touring..as they fit well due to their square packup design on the roof rack..easy to set up and take down...with swag and stretcher..you need to pack 2 things and a swag can get bulky...Bunker..it is a swag and a stretcher all in one and packs down to a smaller size than that of a stretcher and swag....I'm a sleeping snob...so I take a self inflating mattress...for a bit of comfort.
                      The only con I have is the zips and its facing cord on the midgie screen...they are small and difficult to use if you are in a hurry..they need to be bigger...so you need to take you time when you are using them...which can be a pain.
                      So after 3 years..4 out of 5...it would be a solid 5 accept for the zips on the midge screen..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X