• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1533rl
    • Jun 2007
    • armadale wa

2nd Seat Storage Box

On a recent trip, a friend had removed his 2nd row seats in his pajero and it gave me some ideas about a storage system. I usually have plastic crates for clothes etc on the seats and water containers on the floor. In this box I can fit 7 x 10lt water containers across the back section and use a battery pump to transfer water out for kitchen use etc. Simple design makes it very easy to put in place with one person, seats are about 60kgs but this box is about 15kgs I reckon.
    Pics show the progress of developing a new box system. I started by using some wood left over from other projects and sourced a lighter (and cheaper) type of covering than my rear drawer system has. I reckon the "next one" could be done for under $150, anyone know of a cheap(er) source of sikabond sprayfix contact adhesive ? Great stuff but this was an expensive component of the build @ $20 a can - used three !!!
    Costing for Type 2
    MDF panel 1200 x 2400 x 16mm $35
    Encore II speaker liner 3m $54
    Continuous hinges $22
    Sika contact adhesive $40
    Lock down loops $10

Final phase will be to fit brackets that bolt into the seat bolt holes, and add tie downs to the sides to hold all containers and bags in place.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1533rl; 07-12-17, 11:16 PM. Reason: Price change in market place
  • brenden
    • Apr 2009
    • central victoria

Excellent idea, love it. how easy is it to remove the seats? Cheers Brenden

Comment

• 1533rl
      • Jun 2007
      • armadale wa

2nd Seat Storage Box

remove seats - easy.
      Fold forward , flip off plastic covers, take out four bolts per seat and lift out. Hard part is lifting the 40kgs two seat part out of the car, things get heavier as you get older !

Comment

• Hatto
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2013
        • Mandurah WA

Nice job! Well done. When the kids leave home I'd love to do something like that. Just 15 or so years to go!!!
        Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
        ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• grhyso
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

Looks great, my next project before another big trip and I'll be going back over these photos a few times I reckon.
          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Nice job!
            I also remove the seats on trips when they're not needed as it saves about 60 or 70kg and prevents damage to them from rubbing due to corregated roads.

Did you secure the box to the floor or is it 'loose'?
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• gemster
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Gold Coast

Instead of using Sika Adhesive... Use Sellys Contact adhesive... just as good and far cheaper. It's not a spray I but use cheap paint brushes to apply.... Nice Idea... I have something simular to that, but I only take out one seat and bolt in my storage system for my Fossicking Gear.... Holds 2x25L Drums, Sieves ect... Those rear seats are heavy aren't they...

Gemster....
              YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
              And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
              ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Garc
                • May 2015
                • Perth

Looking very good Peter. What about some tie down points on the edges to allow straps over the top loose items?
                Gary
                Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• traktor
                  • Oct 2013
                  • sydney

Looking good and functional, I'm contemplating a similar thing but a bit different.
                  I'm thinking about fabricating metal frame bolted to the seat bolts and plywood false floor on the top of the metal frame.
                  Just looking at your design I have a few questions
                  • are going to bolt the box to the floor and how
                  • how are going to restrain water containers - it is significant weight to fly around in the worst case scenario
                  • did you use MDF or plywood (you mentioned MDF but it looks like plywood)
                  • did you use a table saw to cut panels, or perhaps cut timber in bunnings

It would be handy if you provide panel sizes - easier to copy.

My major concern is unrestricted items, especially heavy ones like water or fuel containers. Anything unrestricted will be jumping and rubbing against each other and in the worst case scenarios (heaven forbid), like collision, rollover, etc... it could be deadly.
                  NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• Pushbike
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Sydney

@nd Seat Storage Box

I am almost finished a storage system to fit from folded 2nd row to rear.
                    I used Bills Board Factory Gibbs street Chatswood Sydney to cut two sheets of 1200 x 2400 CD grade plywood, to my panel drawings. 10 pieces all told precision cut for $60 per sheet, includes cutting and materials. Bunnings CD plywood is $48 per sheet. I dont think you could do better.
                    I'll post some pics at a later date.
                    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                    Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Pushbike
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

Oops I forgot to say it was 12mm plywood. Fairly good quality smooth with no voids that I could see.
                      Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                      Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                        • May 2017
                        • Freo ish

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                        Nice job! Well done. When the kids leave home I'd love to do something like that. Just 15 or so years to go!!!
                        That's what the 3rd row is for lol[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• 1533rl
                          • Jun 2007
                          • armadale wa

2nd Seat Storage Box

[QUOTE=gemster;562131]Instead of using Sika Adhesive... Use Sellys Contact adhesive... just as good and far cheaper. It's not a spray I but use cheap paint brushes to apply....

I did see that but I was not sure how it would go. I do the covering in bits and bits and thought the brush on stuff might be a bit fiddly. I have used PVA woodworking glue on other firmer covers but for this lighter mat the pva soaked through on a test piece.Will definitely look at the brush on adhesive more closely for the next project. Thanks

Comment

• 1533rl
                            • Jun 2007
                            • armadale wa

2nd Seat Storage Box

Originally posted by Garc View Post
                            Looking very good Peter. What about some tie down points on the edges to allow straps over the top loose items?
                            Gary
                            Surprised you missed this in the first post
                            " and add tie downs to the sides to hold all containers and bags in place.", very unGary like !!!

Comment

• 1533rl
                              • Jun 2007
                              • armadale wa

Originally posted by traktor View Post
                              Looking good and functional, I'm contemplating a similar thing but a bit different.
                              I'm thinking about fabricating metal frame bolted to the seat bolts and plywood false floor on the top of the metal frame.
                              Just looking at your design I have a few questions
                              • are going to bolt the box to the floor and how manufacturing a couple of brackets to use the seat bolt holes to fix it down, I have noted from some other forumites that one needs to cover ALL the unused holes to keep dust out, I just found out the centre pin holes for the seat brackets go all the way thorugh to the outside - who knew !And a bracket to attach to the barrier behind it, but when all said it's still made of timber
                              • how are going to restrain water containers - it is significant weight to fly around in the worst case scenarioI will fit tie down brackets on the side and use a strap across the top. Plus a restraint thru the handles and around the cargo barrier behind it.
                              • did you use MDF or plywood (you mentioned MDF but it looks like plywood) used a bit of each plus a piece of pine , I had a bit of stuff left over from another home project. All up it's not a structural piece of gear so mdf would be fine.
                              • did you use a table saw to cut panels, or perhaps cut timber in bunnings I have my own table saw set up.
                              https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/images/editor/color.gif
                              It would be handy if you provide panel sizes - easier to copy. I will try to do a cutting plan and post up later.

My major concern is unrestricted items, especially heavy ones like water or fuel containers. Anything unrestricted will be jumping and rubbing against each other and in the worst case scenarios (heaven forbid), like collision, rollover, etc... it could be deadly.

I agree, unrestricted items would be a problem but maybe I'm just fatalistic !! In a "worst case" it would be the 3 tonnes of the other vehicle in my face that I would have more concern about - if I could think that quick !! I'm pretty good at packing now, had enough cans wearing through on corrugations to teach me how, and if anything rattles I have a volume control on the stereo too.
                              Not being flippant but I am usually careful.
                              Cheers
                              Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X