• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

I've broken both rear brackets now L and R. To be fair, Roger has been very accommodating, mind you I got nothing for the issue of the tank breaking my floor pan due to the "secret" reinforcing plates I put you onto . They got off very lightly. You are welcome to pass that along to them.

The long ranger to my mind is no better. There are no brackets to break. If something breaks, it will either be the tank or the vehicle. Better to replace mounting brackets I think. But I'm also wondering the same - the 58l tank will shed 30 odd Kilo's. I reckon next time around, I will look at the 58.

Oh wait, next time around due to piss poor service from MMA, it probably wont be a mitz either, so the above is mute.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Just reading back through the complete thread.
      My question is where all the brackets replaced when the new (replacement) tank was fitted a few years ago?
      If the brackets were not they could have been fatigued during the previous tank mount failure.

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 11-09-19, 11:39 PM.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post

Oh wait, next time around due to piss poor service from MMA, it probably wont be a mitz either, so the above is mute.
        From what I've been reading and checking out, they're all the same. Toyota, worse.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Just reading back through the complete thread.
          My question is where all the brackets replaced when the new (replacement) tank was fitted a few years ago?
          If the brackets were not they could have been fatigued during the previous tank mount failure.

OJ.

I don't know. Since the replacement tank was new, it would have come with 4 new brackets welded onto the tank. But I had no idea at the time that there were also "sub-brackets" (at least for the 2 rearmost brackets) that the brackets bolted onto. All the work for my tank(s) was done by TJM, both initial installation and repairs/replacements) so I didn't get the up close and personal look at the componentry that maybe Sharkcaver did when he did his own installation.
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            I've broken both rear brackets now L and R. To be fair, Roger has been very accommodating, mind you I got nothing for the issue of the tank breaking my floor pan due to the "secret" reinforcing plates I put you onto . They got off very lightly. You are welcome to pass that along to them.

The long ranger to my mind is no better. There are no brackets to break. If something breaks, it will either be the tank or the vehicle. Better to replace mounting brackets I think. But I'm also wondering the same - the 58l tank will shed 30 odd Kilo's. I reckon next time around, I will look at the 58.

The other option is a ARB replacement tank. It's poly, not steel, and the blurb states is allows chassis flex, which the LRA (and perhaps Long Ranger?) lacks. Only gives an extra 40L (total 128L), rather than the extra 81L of our LRA tanks, but perhaps an extra 40L in a properly constructed and reliable tank is better than a 81L tank being dragged along the CSR or Binns Track? I'm seriously considering this, I've lost all confidence in the LRA for the sort of trips I do.
            BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

I wonder what the tank & 81 litres of fuel weighs in total? Probably a fair bit.
              I wonder if LRA do the same sort of engineering analysis & durability testing that vehicle manufacturers do? Given how many different models they make, it would be a huge task to do that on each different tank/vehicle.
              I believe ARB did a lot of work on the replacement poly tank, which is why it's release was delayed for so long (& why it isn't cheap).
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pwoffey
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Adelaide

I have now spoken with the engineers at LRA.

They have fabricated a replacement sub-bracket for the sheared rear-ward one on the driver's side. They say they have made it longer and put an extra fold in it to strengthen it. So of course I asked about the passenger side bracket. Apparently it too is bolted onto a sub-bracket that is in turn affixed to the Paj subframe. Although it looks fine to me now I asked if it will now be the weak link. They had no real answer to this except to say they had never seen it fail. Yes, well with my tank there have been a lot of never-seen-its that eventually get seen. I also asked about the potential problem with flex and the 4 bracket design. The engineer said that although there are 4 brackets, the 2 front ones are quite close together - he estimated about 20mm - and said that it is functionally more like a triangle than a rectangle and that this was designed to provide sufficient flex. So at least they have thought about this, whether its adequate I'm not qualified to say.

My plan at the moment is to get the car driveable again as soon as possible. This means getting TJM to fit the new bracket and inspect all the others while it's up on the hoist. (LRA told me they will get TJM to send the sheared bracket back to them for closer inspection of why it failed.) I'll then take my time deciding if I get rid of the LRA tank and swap it for a ARB poly one before my next big trip.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

I wonder if each failure then places extra loading on the other fittings whilst still in use before you find the damage? This may have weakened the other fittings, leading to the subsequent failures?

To their credit, it sounds like LRA are interested in finding out why you are experiencing "never seen" failures.

If it were me, I'd be suggesting (or demanding) they replace the entire tank & fittings (which you are legally entitled to do under Australian Consumer Law, for a major failure, such as this, as the product they have sold you is clearly either defective or "not fit for purpose"). You are also entitled to a refund if you wish - it is your choice under the ACL.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Excuse my ignorance but when fitting a long range tank is the 3rd row seat well removed?
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Pwoffey
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      Excuse my ignorance but when fitting a long range tank is the 3rd row seat well removed?

Not in the case of my LRA 81L tank. The tank is shaped so it fits under and then up the rear facing wall of the seat well to sit just in front of the tow-bar and bumper (so it provides some protection from the big sand scoop of the rear bumper). In my 5-seater Paj, I thus still have the storage space afforded by the seat well.

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

Same deal with the 58L tank. It's the one used if the car has the rear A/C but the seat well remains as is.
                        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

The only reason I ask is that I have a combined weight of around 80+ kilos in my 3rd row well. Travelled many k,s on corrugated roads and never had an issue. Wouldnt it be more practical to have some sort of a bladder arrangement in the well?? After all the long range tank is not required that often and like many after market accessories....gives issues, obviously.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• outbackogre
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • Melbourne

I can't comment on the long range fuel requirements of trips like the Binns Track and CSR. However, I can fit six 10 litre jerries in my 3rd row seat well, along with firewood and tools, and this is easily enough for a Simpson crossing. I can then remove everything when I get home and travel light for suburban duties. On a recent trip from Melbourne to Fraser Island, I fueled up at Gympie and did 650 kms on the island and Cooloola coast, before refueling at Gympie a week later. No need for a long range tank (or even a jerrie can).
                            My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------
                            MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

LRA auxiliarytank - more problems

Originally posted by outbackogre View Post
                              I can't comment on the long range fuel requirements of trips like the Binns Track and CSR. However, I can fit six 10 litre jerries in my 3rd row seat well, along with firewood and tools, and this is easily enough for a Simpson crossing. I can then remove everything when I get home and travel light for suburban duties. On a recent trip from Melbourne to Fraser Island, I fueled up at Gympie and did 650 kms on the island and Cooloola coast, before refueling at Gympie a week later. No need for a long range tank (or even a jerrie can).
                              Honestly if I didn’t already have a Brown Davis one under my ex cop NX (as in, the cops got it put on) then I would just do the same as you when required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nab
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2012
                                • Perth

If you have rear drawers etc access to that area becomes quite difficult. I reckon the long range tank was one of my favourite mods. Horses for courses though!!

My outback accessories tank bolted through to the seat well, I wounded if that’s a more suitable mounting option?
                                SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                                NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X