• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • el stompo
    • Mar 2010

3.5Gdi revs really high just after starting

Hi All

When starting from cold, the engine revs up past 3000rpm for a few seconds before dropping back down to idle.

It didn't use to do this and the revs seem to be getting higher.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks!
  • w1dgit
    • Apr 2010
    • Nelson, New Zealand

Hi Everyone. My 2001 Nm has started doing this as well. I remembered seeing this thread so thought id check it out, but no information yet. Is there anyone out there that might know what is going on with our Pajeros. Cheers.
    2001 3.5 GDI, Secondhand ARB winch.

Comment

• tonyg62
      • Apr 2010
      • adelaide

hi

my nm 2000 petrol auto goes to 1800 then drops, MMA reckon its 3/400 rpm too high, something about about the throttle position sensor, need ing adjustment,perhaps after a battery change disconnecion. had the diagnostics done, it is ok but the same
      NW GLX Silver DiD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, 2" lift

Comment

• C&S Evo7
        • Apr 2010

there was a workthrough here somewhere to make the ece relearn the idle etc. sadly i dont know where.
        I have it on my pc so can email it if you pm your address.

Comment

• el stompo
          • Mar 2010

Mine hasn't had the battery disconnected or anything like that.
          I'll give the relearning procedure a go to see what happens.

C&S Evo7, I've just PM'd you. Thanks!

Comment

• C&S Evo7
            • Apr 2010

Before applying the procedure i would disconnect the battery and have a cup of tea before reconnecting just to give it time to forget its history,
            The Tranny will relearn your driving style as well so expect it to do some weird shifts for the first hour.
            weird shifting was my original problem, there was a loose cable in one of the plugs and basically it was losing power occasionally and resetting
            I amm assuming all those with problems have cleaned the throtle body and mass air meter?
            hope it works out.

Comment

• el stompo
              • Mar 2010

Well, the relearn didn't work.
              I've had a look at the MAF through the air filter box and its nice and shiny, the throttle body is black and sticky behind the butterfly valve but it doesn't stick. I'm going to give it a clean anyway.

BTW what type of cleaner do you recommend - carb cleaner, petrol, something else?

Comment

• C&S Evo7
                • Apr 2010

I have used carb cleaner or electrical contact cleaner

Comment

• Brettm357
                  • Nov 2009

Did a clean rectify the problem
                  2001 NM EXCEED 3.5L AUTO, 2 INCH LIFT WITH BILSTEIN/LOVELLS SD RAISED COMBO, K&N 60L LONG RANGE TANK, ALLOY BULLBAR. ARB COMPRESSOR, PIRAHNA BATTERY TRAY, PROJECTA ISOLATOR, DUAL BATTERIES - ON LIST IS ENGEL FRIDGE, REAR WORK LIGHTS, FRONT DIFF LOCK, EXTRACTORS & HIGH FLOW CAT

Comment

• sticko
                    • Sep 2008
                    • Emerald, QLD

I am not sure if this is your problem, but I had high revs after doing some work on my engine once. I had left the air flow sensor connector off at the air cleaner. You can check if this or anything else from the emission control system is at fault by checking the diagnostic codes. These will flash a code at the check engine light on the dash.
                    You need to connect a jumper wire from the N0.1 terminal on the diagnostic connector under the dash to earth to enable this mode.
                    This is clearly explained in the haynes workshop manual if you can get hold of one.

Peter.
                    2002 GLS , 3.5 V6 Manual Pajero. Alloy bullbar, towbar, Polyair bags, otherwise very stock standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X