• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • signo1985
    • Sep 2017
    • Perth

ARB digital tyre inflator/deflator - ARB601

Hi guys,
    I'm in the market for a new DEFLATOR since the one I have is almost falling apart.
    So, looking at alternatives to the valve core removal deflators, I came across this ARB digital inflator/deflator.
    As an inflator it comes in handy since there is no need to turn the compressor off to check the pressure, just release the lever and that's it. Not enough? Push it again! Awesome!

As a deflator, well here comes my question.
    It is not a deflator per se, but it has a push button that you can use to deflate the tyres if you have over inflated them.
    What i would like to know is....how fast is at doing that?
    Can it really be used as a full time deflator?
    I went into an arb shop and when comparing it to the EZ deflator the guy working there said "it would be much slower like 10 times slower because it is not a valve core type of deflator, but i've never used it".

Not that i dont wanna trust him lol, but has anybody ever tried it?
    Cheers
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I've got one. It is slower but it's handy. I'm not a big fan of removing the valve each time, althought that's very quick. I use a simple tyre valve tool or a stick to get most of the air out and then switch to the deflator to get it where I want. Once I've done one tyre, I count the time I needed so i can quickly deflate the next one for say 20 seconds, and then put the deflator on.

Mine reads 5 psi too much but as long as I know that, it's workable.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

For speed, you cannot do better than a set a Staun Deflators, I have 2 calibrated at 20psi and 2 at 15psi, this covers me for general low range off road pressures and sand pressures. When dropping to sand pressures I put the 20psi regulators on the first 2 tyres then fit the others, I come back and manually deflate the first 2 tyres the last 5 psi.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Pauno
        • Dec 2012
        • Newcastle

Agree with OJ, people bag them but they are super handy. I have 2 set at 18 and 2 at 16. I only do beach work so 18 is my first step, 16 looks as low as I’m comfortable as I have 18’s on my Pajero and they just look too low at 15.
        Only issue I found with them is they need to drop the pressure by 15 psi I think to activate them. So you can’t drop 2 tyres to 18 then put ones set at 15 on these as it won’t open the valve. Doesn’t bother me now I know, annoyed me when I didn’t and was rushing to drop my tyre pressures a little more, the tide was coming in when leaving Fraser Island using the southern tip and I didnt want to back track and use the inland tracks.
        You can get them on special online regularly
        NW Exceed

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Well then, I will agree to disagree. I have found nothing faster than my valve core removal deflator, Staun included.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Pauno View Post
            Agree with OJ, people bag them but they are super handy. I have 2 set at 18 and 2 at 16. I only do beach work so 18 is my first step, 16 looks as low as I’m comfortable as I have 18’s on my Pajero and they just look too low at 15.
            Only issue I found with them is they need to drop the pressure by 15 psi I think to activate them. So you can’t drop 2 tyres to 18 then put ones set at 15 on these as it won’t open the valve. Doesn’t bother me now I know, annoyed me when I didn’t and was rushing to drop my tyre pressures a little more, the tide was coming in when leaving Fraser Island using the southern tip and I didnt want to back track and use the inland tracks.
            You can get them on special online regularly

If you just pull the centre stem they will start to activate again.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              Well then, I will agree to disagree. I have found nothing faster than my valve core removal deflator, Staun included.

Hi Shane,

Hopefully our paths will cross one day and we can do a test whilst having an ale then sit around the campfire with a red or two and solve the worlds problems.

On my next trip with some of the Adelaide Forumites we might do a test. just for the fun of it!

OJ.

Comment

• Garc
                • May 2015
                • Perth

I use a supercheap small dial pressure gauge which has an air release button on the side. Simple and effective for normal size tyres
                Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

ARB digital tyre inflator/deflator - ARB601

I bought a Repco branded valve core removal deflator but took it back unopened because I decided a plastic KFC fork works well, easy to replace and if one prong breaks off you have 3-4 more before you need to replace it. It’s fully weatherproof and because the prongs are slim it doesn’t take all that long to deflate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hatto
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2013
                    • Mandurah WA

Blahaha, that's a beauty! LOL
                    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Hi Shane,

Hopefully our paths will cross one day and we can do a test whilst having an ale then sit around the campfire with a red or two and solve the worlds problems.

On my next trip with some of the Adelaide Forumites we might do a test. just for the fun of it!

OJ.
                      You are on, best I get myself to ADL then - there is an event next year @ Easter in Millicent I could go to, problem being at this stage, I only have the week prior off, so its a wait and see thing at present.

A real world road test would be a great test I reckon. You know where I think the result will lay, but I'm very happy to eat a lavish helping of humble pie.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

My 2c:

For dropping pressures from highway to something quite low (like sand pressures, as per OJ's Stauns), I don't think there's much in it. The Deflator does each tyre faster, but the Stauns can do them all at once, so from pulling over to ready to go there isn't a lot in it.

I have a set of Stauns somewhere (in Shorty's glove-box, I hope, because I can't find them at home), and didn't mind them - but mine wouldn't always cut off at the "set pressure". Yes, I know it's all my fault because they must be dirty, or dusty, or dropped in the sand, but I swear I looked after them well - so I like that the Deflator gives me better control.

But the Deflator is definitely slower for small pressure adjustments, for which I use the blade of my pocket knife.

To me, the Deflator really comes out in front when I'm dropping from highway pressures to "other" pressures - say low 20s, for slower dirt roads. Above my Staun pressures, but too low for me to sit and deflate with my knife blade.

Yes, I could run around and stop the Stauns early, then check and adjust each tyre to the final target pressure, but that sort of defeats the purpose in my mind.

So horses for courses. When I find my Stauns again, I'll probably throw them back into the NT's glove box, then choose whatever tool is best for the job at hand.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Miner
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Abu Dhabi

I just use a valve core tool and take the core out, around 20 secs does it then adjust from there. Use an analogue Draper Pro gauge to level and carry a full set of spare valve cores. Usually going straight to about 14/15psi though for sand driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• signo1985
                            • Sep 2017
                            • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            My 2c:

For dropping pressures from highway to something quite low (like sand pressures, as per OJ's Stauns), I don't think there's much in it. The Deflator does each tyre faster, but the Stauns can do them all at once, so from pulling over to ready to go there isn't a lot in it.

I have a set of Stauns somewhere (in Shorty's glove-box, I hope, because I can't find them at home), and didn't mind them - but mine wouldn't always cut off at the "set pressure". Yes, I know it's all my fault because they must be dirty, or dusty, or dropped in the sand, but I swear I looked after them well - so I like that the Deflator gives me better control.

But the Deflator is definitely slower for small pressure adjustments, for which I use the blade of my pocket knife.

To me, the Deflator really comes out in front when I'm dropping from highway pressures to "other" pressures - say low 20s, for slower dirt roads. Above my Staun pressures, but too low for me to sit and deflate with my knife blade.

Yes, I could run around and stop the Stauns early, then check and adjust each tyre to the final target pressure, but that sort of defeats the purpose in my mind.

So horses for courses. When I find my Stauns again, I'll probably throw them back into the NT's glove box, then choose whatever tool is best for the job at hand.
                            Which deflator are you using the arb one or another model?

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
                              Which deflator are you using the arb one or another model?
                              Mine's the ARB. I find that

1. winding on the deflator,
                              2. removing the valve core,
                              3. reinserting the valve core, and
                              4. removing the deflator

all takes time. For a few psi adjustment, the tip of my pocket knife is easier. I haven't figured out exactly what size pressure drop makes it worth breaking out the deflator. Maybe one day I'll time myself.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X