• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bilgeboy
    Valued Member
    • May 2011
    • melbourne

Getting EGT readings with torque pro

I got one of those cheap eBay odb2 dongles and downloaded torque pro. Has some good things, but I got it to see EGTs but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone done this before? I believe there is a few tricks to get some of the sensors to work, but haven't seen anything Pajero specific yet. There is a mits plugin but it was out of date for my android OS.
    2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
    GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

As I understand it, and could be wrong, the reported temperature is part of the DPF system, so I don't think it's called EGT as such. Have you tried looking for Cat Bank or DPF temperature signals?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nnikbg
      • Mar 2019
      • Varna, Bulgaria

Torque Pro can read Cat B1S1 temp.
      Normal value is around 350 degC, during DPF cleaning the temp rise up to 750 degC.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• bilgeboy
        Valued Member
        • May 2011
        • melbourne

I found the cat sensor so all good. I have the dpf delete but it still sees the sensors but not relevant obviously.
        Interestingly, it threw a gearbox comms code, but it didn't do anything. I just cleared it.

Not a bad bit of kit, although the gearbox and engine temps are coming from the same sensor. I have a gearbox temp gauge already, so no big deal for me.
        GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by bilgeboy View Post
          ... the gearbox and engine temps are coming from the same sensor. I have a gearbox temp gauge already, so no big deal for me.
          You need to create a custom PID in Torque Pro to read the transmission temperature. Try this:

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          This is for the Pajero with the Jatco box. Don't know if it works on the Challenger.

Go to Torque home screen and click on bottom Left Hand menu, then select settings, then, select Manage extra PIDs/Sensors. Now select menu in top right hand corner, then add predefined set, then Chrysler/Dodge, then Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 1). Now a screen will come up options for: Trans.FI.Tmp and select Edit, now edit it. Change the fields first line is the heading and under it is what to change it to
          OBD2 mode and PID(in HEX..... to

Short name (used in Display) to
          Trans Temp

Minimum Value (typically 0) to
          Maximum Value to

Scale Factor to
          x1

Unit factor to
          °C

Equation (eg A+B+20- or [0d]+10=A or even just [0d] to
          f-50

OBD Header to use (leave blank, 'Auto' or HEX header) to
          TCM

Then go back to Torque home screen and click on bottom Left Hand menu, then select Vehicle Profile then edit the profile you already set up for the Pajero. Scroll to the bottom and select the protocol where it says "Automatit - through profile scan" and change to
          ISO 15765-4 CAN (11bit 500k baud)

Now when you add the transmission temp to a screen you must use:
          Transmission Temp (Chrysler/Dodge)
          I think the "f-50" is for the Aisin transmission, and the Jatco should be "f-40". Once you have it set up and working, first thing in the morning before you actually start the engine, turn on the ignition and wait for all your readings to come up. Intake air, coolant and transmission should all be the same temp, within maybe a degree or two. If the transmission temp is more like 10 degrees different, use the other number.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• bilgeboy
            Valued Member
            • May 2011
            • melbourne

Belated thanks for the info...

I just found out you can get torque pro to work on Android auto.
            Need an API and be in developer mode in AA.
            https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...ni.emil.obd2aa .
            This dongle I have seems to be rubbish however, still throws a/t fault codes, and today it made a bunch of lights flash on the trip computer above the head unit and the door open indicators flash on and off. I think I might have to invest in something a little better. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Hatto
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Mandurah WA

A couple of things. Make sure you select 11Bit 500k baud and also make sure you dont click faster communication in settings. These will throw codes.
              Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
              ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• svill123
                • Jul 2016
                • Australia

EGT sensors for 3.2L Diesel

Yes, it is possible to read the 3x EGT sensors on 3.2L 4M41 Pajero with the active (closed type) DPF system (but not on the passive (open type) system as they don't have sensors).

I set about finding these by writing a simple app which continuously monitors a set of PIDs and highlights changes in their values. After applying a blow torch to one of the EGT sensors, I saw a byte in one of the responses begin to rise in value and then fall when the heat was taken off. This technique of scanning the CAN network and then applying heat (or some action) while observing changes is nothing new.

So that I could derive the formula, I compared this raw byte value to that of ‘Cat B1S1’ reported for the same sensor on the standard PID set. (Side note, this ‘Cat B1S1’ sensor is EGT #2, or the second EGT sensor downstream.) After a few drives and comparisons, I was then able to figure out the formula to convert the raw value to degrees Celsius.

The EGT sensors and their Torque configurations are as follows:

Long name: Exhaust Temperature (EGT #1)
                Short name: EGT #1
                Mode and PID: 2110
                Equation: (A-40)*5
                Header: 7E0
                Min value: -200
                Max value: 1075
                Scale: x1
                Unit type: C

Long name: Catalyst Temperature (EGT #2)
                Short name: EGT #2 (Cat)
                Equation: (B-40)*5

Long name: DPF Temperature (EGT #3)
                Short name: EGT #3 (DPF)
                Equation: (C-40)*5

The first EGT sensor (EGT #1) is located in front of the Cat, the second sensor (EGT #2) is in the middle of the cat and the third sensor (EGT #3) is just after the DPF.

The readings are accurate to within 5c.

During a DPF burn, I saw these sensors sustain values of EGT #1: 450c, EGT #2: 690c and EGT #3: 625c, as expected.

These Torque configs have been tested on a 2007 NS and a 2018 NX (both 3.2L Diesel Auto with DPF).
                Attached Files
                Last edited by svill123; 10-03-21, 05:26 PM.
                NS Pajero 2007 3.2TD Auto

Comment

• rgrubby
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2018
                  • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by svill123 View Post
                  Yes, it is possible to read the 3x EGT sensors on 3.2L 4M41 Pajero with DPF, as these models have the sensors in place.

I set about finding these by writing a simple app which continuously monitors a set of PIDs and highlights changes in their values. After applying a blow torch to one of the EGT sensors, I saw a byte in one of the responses begin to rise in value and then fall when the heat was taken off. This technique of scanning the CAN network and then applying heat (or some action) while observing changes is nothing new.

So that I could derive the formula, I compared this raw byte value to that of ‘Cat B1S1’ reported for the same sensor on the standard PID set. (Side note, this ‘Cat B1S1’ sensor is EGT #2, or the second EGT sensor downstream.) After a few drives and comparisons, I was then able to figure out the formula to convert the raw value to degrees Celsius.

The EGT sensors and their Torque configurations are as follows:

Long name: Exhaust Temperature (EGT #1)
                  Short name: EGT #1
                  Formula: (A-40)*5

Long name: Catalyst Temperature (EGT #2)
                  Short name: EGT #2 (Cat)
                  Formula: (B-40)*5

Long name: DPF Temperature (EGT #3)
                  Short name: EGT #3 (DPF)
                  Formula: (C-40)*5

The first EGT sensor (EGT #1) is located in front of the Cat, the second sensor (EGT #2) is in the middle of the cat and the third sensor (EGT #3) is just after the DPF.

During a DPF burn, I saw these sensors sustain values of EGT #1: 450c, EGT #2: 690c and EGT #3: 625c, as expected.

These Torque configs have been tested on a 2007 NS and a 2018 NX (both 3.2L Diesel Auto with DPF).
                  Thanks for that. It will be very useful if I decide to do a DPF delete and need to work out the correct resistor values for the sensors
                  2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• dreamerman
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                    Thanks for that. It will be very useful if I decide to do a DPF delete and need to work out the correct resistor values for the sensors
                    You mean EGR delete?
                    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Tonks
                      • Sep 2020
                      • Albany WA

Originally posted by bilgeboy View Post
                      Belated thanks for the info...

I just found out you can get torque pro to work on Android auto.
                      Need an API and be in developer mode in AA.
                      https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...ni.emil.obd2aa .
                      This dongle I have seems to be rubbish however, still throws a/t fault codes, and today it made a bunch of lights flash on the trip computer above the head unit and the door open indicators flash on and off. I think I might have to invest in something a little better. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
                      G’day Mate,

Like you I invested in a cheap OBD2 scanner and found a few issues with using it. I purchased an OBD2 Bluetooth scanner from OBD2 Australia cost $39 and found that it works with Torque Pro and Car Scanner really well. No errors and I could pick up all the sensors I want.

For your consideration.
                      Kind Regards,

Tonks
                      MY 20 NX GLX; MANN CATCH CAN; CRISPMODS EGR CABLE; OBD2 SCANNER & TORQUE PRO; RED ARC BRAKE CONTROLLER; ANDERSON PLUG; MM BULL BAR & TOW HITCH.

Comment

• dreamerman
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Tonks View Post
                        Like you I invested in a cheap OBD2 scanner and found a few issues with using it. I purchased an OBD2 Bluetooth scanner from OBD2 Australia cost $39 and found that it works with Torque Pro and Car Scanner really well. No errors and I could pick up all the sensors I want.
                        I think on average people who bought cheap ELM327 BT OBD2 scanner for $10 or so from amazon/ebay/aliexpress are not satisfied with it. My first one is crap but second one is gold. Been using it for one and half year with no issues and takes seconds to connect to my Torque Pro. BTW my Torque Pro is installed in an old Galaxy S5.
                        Last edited by dreamerman; 08-12-20, 06:09 AM.
                        03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• rgrubby
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2018
                          • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                          You mean EGR delete?
                          No, I meant DPF. I was referring resistors to replace the DPF temp sensors. I have since seen the resistor value confirmed on another post if I do go that route one day.
                          2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Stoneman
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • Melbourne

Is this thread still alive?
                            NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X