Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 01-03-20

Default Dumb Question - What RPM is considered trashing/flogging in NP Pajero 3.2l

So I've kind of been wondering since getting my Pajero, what RPM is considered trashing it and too high for everyday driving?

Also similar question, when 4WDing, is up near 4k RPM alright to go up a hill? Silly questions I know, but I've never owned a diesel and kind of wondering what others have to say about it lol.

Cheers, Demon.
Old 01-03-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Demon View Post
So I've kind of been wondering since getting my Pajero, what RPM is considered trashing it and too high for everyday driving?

Also similar question, when 4WDing, is up near 4k RPM alright to go up a hill? Silly questions I know, but I've never owned a diesel and kind of wondering what others have to say about it lol.

Cheers, Demon.
Depends, if it requires 4k it requires 4k.

I try to stay around 3k on hard climbs if not lower.

As for engine abuse, service it and you can do high rpm work not a problem. just remember it normally sits at 2500rpm constant for highway so thats its happy range, where as my old girl sits at 3100rpm they both have the same redline. no issues at all.

anything above 3 is sorta flogging a diesel as they dont rev much anyways.

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/
Old 01-03-20
Resident

If the hill can be climbed with traction alone, I try to keep around 2k rpm, somewhere near peak torque.

If momentum is required, like charging up Big Red in the Simpson Desert, I'm happy to rev to peak power, somewhere around 4k rpm.

Using Torque Pro, my tacho display records max & min - after multiple attempts to charge up a sand dune at Dorado Downs my max recorded was 4600 rpm.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 01-03-20
Valued Member

There's a red line on the tacho.
Keep it below that
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 01-03-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
There's a red line on the tacho.
Keep it below that
Haha, I'll keep that in mind
Old 01-03-20
Valued Member

Same as above, I usually kept below 3000rpm for everyday driving but if I needed the power my foot was to the floor for as long as I needed so often went up just over 4K, it has a rev limiter/governer so if all else is good with the motor it will take it all day long!

I did the Nullabor a few times towing the camper in 4th gear, sat on 2700-2800rpm for days on end fully loaded with a 1.6T trailer behind it into headwinds etc, no dramas whatsoever.

In saying that, you will notice that using the diesels low down torque in day to day driving that you don't go much faster revving its head off, 2500rpm was usually enough to keep up with traffic and will keep fuel economy respectable.
Old 01-03-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Same as above, I usually kept below 3000rpm for everyday driving but if I needed the power my foot was to the floor for as long as I needed so often went up just over 4K, it has a rev limiter/governer so if all else is good with the motor it will take it all day long!

I did the Nullabor a few times towing the camper in 4th gear, sat on 2700-2800rpm for days on end fully loaded with a 1.6T trailer behind it into headwinds etc, no dramas whatsoever.

In saying that, you will notice that using the diesels low down torque in day to day driving that you don't go much faster revving its head off, 2500rpm was usually enough to keep up with traffic and will keep fuel economy respectable.
Yeah, I've kind of noticed that after 3000 ish RPM you don't really pick up much acceleration ahah. I had a cammed VX Clubsport before, so after about 2500 RPM you pick up more power the further you go ahah. Bit different to this lol. Cheers.
Old 02-03-20

Don't think I've ever looked at my tacho when off roading....or on roading.

If you are able to and the motor needs another gear go for it.

Look ahead......Anticipate.

If it's bogging grab a lower gear and if your on the limiter grab a higher gear.

Diesel or petrol

Old 13-04-20

Default 100%

They are designed for 100% duty cycle - you can drive it WOP ( Wide Open Throttle)r all day long if need be . obviously when things get older how long it can do it for is another thing
Old 15-04-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Demon View Post

Cheers, Demon.
Just stumbled on this thread , lurking around the forum looking for something to do.
Anyone who's done the "desert run" in Dubai will know how strong these modern diesels are.
I was in a Prado at the time but spotted Landcruisers, Patrols and even Jeeps in other groups.
These cars are literally thrashed in low range 4 wheel drive through sand for hours....and in blistering heat.
I doubt any conditions in Australia could replicate these conditions......so, yeah, go for it.