Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Trekking around Oz

Trekking around Oz Where have you been? Where are you going? Report your trip.

Old 04-06-19

Default Considering taking 2.5t poptop caravan onto Fraser island

Hello,

We are planning on visiting Fraser Island for the first time at the end of this year.

We have a Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3 OB caravan, which is an outback model, so raised suspension, believe it has more ground clearance than the Pajero Sport we use to tow it.

We will be going with other family friends who have been there many times before (one regularly takes their 16 foot expanda, single axle).

I am a little worried about towing and possibly getting stuck in the sand getting to/from the ferry at Inskip Point.

Has anyone successfully towed a dual axle or 2.5 tonne caravan onto Fraser Island and can provide feedback?

Our tow vehicle is a Pajero Sport with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 18" tyres, with standard suspension.

I am considering adding underbody protection to the Pajero Sport and maybe upgrading the suspension/adding a lift too.

Just looking at some feedback and advice.

Otherwise was thinking about staying in accommodation this first time to get a feel for the place and may try with the caravan another year.

Thank you!
Old 05-06-19
Valued Member

Is that 2.5 loaded?

I was there in May '17 and after light rain in the week prior (and during at times). I have a Pajero and was towing a TVAN. Inskip was perhaps the softest section in all of the Fraser experience with most of Fraser being reasonably hard packed. However, conditions can be markedly different particularly the hotter it gets and you've mentioned "end of the year". Your concerns are valid but getting the feel on one trip won't necessarily relate to the conditions you can expect the next trip. An alternative would be to come across via Kingfisher.
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
Old 05-06-19
Valued Member

I have not towed a caravan on Fraser Island, and am not likely to do so, but I make the comment that you are going with another couple with a single axle Expanda van. That van won't weigh much less than yours, yet at 17.5 ft, I expect that your van will have dual axles, which means that if anyone is going to get stuck, it will most likely be your friend's single axle van before your's does.
Old 05-06-19

Have a look at the Facebook page "I got bogged at Inskip Point". There is a theme - vehicles towing anything tend to get featured getting bogged. If you have a lot of experience towing on sand, then go for it. If not very experienced, it would be best to have at least one mate, but preferably two, who are not towing, and are prepared to assist if you get bogged. Know how to use your recovery gear, have all your own recovery gear, and actually practise using it. Plan your trip to Fraser to arrive about an hour before low tide to get to the ferry at Inskip Pt. This will give you 2 hours to get to the ferry, cross the strait, and get around the southern tip of Fraser Island. Once on the main eastern beach, its all pretty easy as the sand is firm, just keep a good lookout for the little creek crossings and slow down. When returning home, plan to be at the Inkip ferry at dead low tide.

You could take the other ferry that lands at Kingfisher Bay, which is easy to get on and off, but then you have to drag a largish van across the inland tracks to get to the main eastern beach. If you met a large tour bus on one of these tracks, its going to be difficult - the bus drivers do try and push everyone off the track - they rarely yield. I tow, and prefer the Inskip ferry as its only a couple of kilometres of soft sand and then its all easy. The inland tracks can be tough if your towing - they can be soft in places, narrow with tight bends, and then add oncoming traffic to the mix; this option then becomes the harder route.
Pajero NS R SWB 2008, DiD, black, nudge bar, tow bar, TowPro, tint, Bush Skinz bash plates & sliders, Lovells springs, Bilstein shocks, Lightforce XGT spotties, snorkel, UHF, Redarc isolator, SPV mod.
Old 05-06-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Have a look at the Facebook page "I got bogged at Inskip Point". There is a theme - vehicles towing anything tend to get featured getting bogged. If you have a lot of experience towing on sand, then go for it. If not very experienced, it would be best to have at least one mate, but preferably two, who are not towing, and are prepared to assist if you get bogged. Know how to use your recovery gear, have all your own recovery gear, and actually practise using it. Plan your trip to Fraser to arrive about an hour before low tide to get to the ferry at Inskip Pt. This will give you 2 hours to get to the ferry, cross the strait, and get around the southern tip of Fraser Island. Once on the main eastern beach, its all pretty easy as the sand is firm, just keep a good lookout for the little creek crossings and slow down. When returning home, plan to be at the Inkip ferry at dead low tide.

You could take the other ferry that lands at Kingfisher Bay, which is easy to get on and off, but then you have to drag a largish van across the inland tracks to get to the main eastern beach. If you met a large tour bus on one of these tracks, its going to be difficult - the bus drivers do try and push everyone off the track - they rarely yield. I tow, and prefer the Inskip ferry as its only a couple of kilometres of soft sand and then its all easy. The inland tracks can be tough if your towing - they can be soft in places, narrow with tight bends, and then add oncoming traffic to the mix; this option then becomes the harder route.
What he said.^^ And don't be afraid to drop your tyre pressures, including the van, to around 12-15psi to get on and off the barge, and make sure you have a compressor with you to re inflate.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 05-06-19

Thanks for all the feedback!

Our caravan is about 2t unloaded and 2.5t maximum and is a dual axle.

Our friends caravan is a single axle.

How come they would have more change of getting bogged? Is it because their caravan weight is only spread over 2 wheels and not 4 like ours?

I have a shovel, compressor, weight equalising strap and snatch strap but need to but probably 4 X maxtrax and then I think I have everything I may need.

We also use a WDH.

Leaning more towards trying to take the van the first time and see how we go.

Sounds like good advice to arrive those hours early at the ferry!

I wasn't aware of the other ways onto the island and possible inland road traffic problems.

I would let the pressure down in all tyres caravan included to around 18 or so before attempting Inskip.

I also saw that Facebook page and got a Little turned off trying because of it.
Old 06-06-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared01 View Post
I would let the pressure down in all tyres caravan included to around 18 or so before attempting Inskip.

I also saw that Facebook page and got a Little turned off trying because of it.
I would start lower than that, no more than 15psi or Paj and caravan. From m the videos Iíve seen it a notoriously soft stretch, you can pump them up once youíre past the buggy section if you are worried about it.
Old 06-06-19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
I would start lower than that, no more than 15psi on Paj and caravan. From the videos Iíve seen it a notoriously soft stretch, you can pump them up once youíre past the buggy section if you are worried about it.
Nab is correct, go straight to 15psi, 3 psi is a huge difference in tyre pressure when it comes to soft sand, footprint length is critical.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=30236

Thread on sand recovery.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=28809

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 06-06-19

Noted regarding tyre pressure.

Getting to the ferry via Inskip point, is the only "difficult" section the last few hundred metres or is the sandy/dirt section (which I can't see very much on YouTube/Google maps) also another section that is of concern regarding possibly of getting bogged?

Also was I thinking along the right lines regarding my thoughts in response to why a single axle caravan may get bogged easier than dual?

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Alas would 4 X maxtrax (2 pairs) instead of one pair would be a good idea to purchase? And if I got bogged, would I put them under all 4 car tyres if I still couldn't get out from digging the sand away from the tyres?
Old 06-06-19
Super Moderator

Comments in your post below.

OJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared01 View Post
Noted regarding tyre pressure.

Getting to the ferry via Inskip point, is the only "difficult" section the last few hundred metres or is the sandy/dirt section (which I can't see very much on YouTube/Google maps) also another section that is of concern regarding possibly of getting bogged?
I have not been to Fraser Island for over 30 years, but I do do a lot of soft sand driving both coastal and desert. My advice is drop your tyre pressures to 15psi and leave them there for the whole time. Limit your speed on the hard beaches to 40kph.

Also was I thinking along the right lines regarding my thoughts in response to why a single axle caravan may get bogged easier than dual?
Duel axle is less likely to get bogged because the weight is spread over the 4 tyres instead of 2, also the front tyres will compact the sand slightly for the rear tyres. Dragging 2.5 ton in soft sand is hard work, maintaining momentum without wheel spin is critical.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Alas would 4 X maxtrax (2 pairs) instead of one pair would be a good idea to purchase? And if I got bogged, would I put them under all 4 car tyres if I still couldn't get out from digging the sand away from the tyres?
Digging alone is a waste of time in soft sand, go straight to Maxtrax under all 4 wheels if you are shallow bogged, if you are bogged down to the floorpan you either have to dig a lot and get the Maxtrax under the wheels and dig so the floorpan clear or the quicker and easily option is to jack each wheel up, fill the hole in and insert the Maxtrax under the the wheel.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .