Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 13-02-16

Default Auto transmission, Transfer case Breather

After lying under the pajero for the last two nights and reading every thread on breathers for diff and transmission I am still at a lost for the breathers for the auto trans and transfer case. The breathers for the diffs are no issue and easily extended.

BUT can anyone confirm if they have extended the automatic transmission and transfer case breathers. Because I stuffed if I can work it out and would love for someone to confirm my findings.

The automatic transmission (as per attached file) has a large pipe about 10mm looping back onto it self. It seems to be a close loop. I am able to confirm the diagram by hand as visual access is almost impossible.

Does the the automatic transmission need a breather extension ???.

The transfer case is the same (as per attached file) a smaller pipe 5mm goes from the automatic transmission to the transfer case, then by a T piece to the actuator at the back of the transfer case, closed loop. The description in the service manual is (1) vacuum. I am able to confirm the diagram by hand as visual access is almost impossible as well

Again does the transfer case need a breather extension???.

Any advice would be very helpful as i am planing a trip next month with some water crossing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf transfer case.pdf (134.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: pdf auto trans.pdf (141.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf auto tran breather.pdf (35.0 KB, 47 views)

Have add:
ARB bulbar, Runva 11XP, Redarc Tow Pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bushskinz bash plates(intercooler, sump, gearbox and transfer case), Bushskinz rocksliders/sidesteps, two pairs of cross bar roof racks,

Last edited by 4wdboat; 13-02-16 at 10:49 PM. Reason: no attachements
Old 14-02-16

Hey buddy,

I used this link to do mind. Send a message to the lad if you need help... He was very helpful to me..
Tangles

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=42171
Old 14-02-16

I used those instructions to do mine. It's a bit fiddly but not too hard.
Old 14-02-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdboat View Post
After lying under the pajero for the last two nights and reading every thread on breathers for diff and transmission I am still at a lost for the breathers for the auto trans and transfer case. The breathers for the diffs are no issue and easily extended.

BUT can anyone confirm if they have extended the automatic transmission and transfer case breathers. Because I stuffed if I can work it out and would love for someone to confirm my findings.

The automatic transmission (as per attached file) has a large pipe about 10mm looping back onto it self. It seems to be a close loop. I am able to confirm the diagram by hand as visual access is almost impossible.

Does the the automatic transmission need a breather extension ???.

The transfer case is the same (as per attached file) a smaller pipe 5mm goes from the automatic transmission to the transfer case, then by a T piece to the actuator at the back of the transfer case, closed loop. The description in the service manual is (1) vacuum. I am able to confirm the diagram by hand as visual access is almost impossible as well

Again does the transfer case need a breather extension???.

Any advice would be very helpful as i am planing a trip next month with some water crossing.
Hey mate. Tangles has a link to my take on the breather job in his post above. Have you had a read of it? If so and your in need of further assistance, I'd be happy to help.

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 16-02-16

I have checked out the other threads but after another afternoon under the Pajero (again with shred hands), I am concluding that the breather on the auto trans is a closed loop (unless someone proves otherwise) and does not need to be extended.

I have confirmed the service manual pdf with images take from a phone stuck up to the top of the automatic transmission.

The same goes for the transfer case, its a closed loop from the automatic transmission to the transfer case and by a t piece to the actuator at the back of the transfer case

I can't see how water could enter the units

Please see attached annotated pictures and compare them to the service manual PDF’s, your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Hatto will send a PM

Cheers Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1495.jpg (116.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1500.jpg (108.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1484.jpg (109.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1485.jpg (104.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1493.jpg (123.9 KB, 66 views)

Have add:
ARB bulbar, Runva 11XP, Redarc Tow Pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bushskinz bash plates(intercooler, sump, gearbox and transfer case), Bushskinz rocksliders/sidesteps, two pairs of cross bar roof racks,
Old 16-02-16
Valued Member

Hi Andrew. There's not much in those photos that resembles what I could feel on top of my transmission. The T piece I didn't feel or see. I couldn't find anything that linked between the transmission and transfer. The hose I pulled off thetransmission to extend had an oily residue in it which made me think it could be a breather. And where it went to was only about 200m rearward then back down again into what I thought was the transmission. However apparently this is a cavity between the transmission and transfer. What confirmed this for me was that underneath this "cavity" was a gap or hole I think which makes where the factory breather hose went to, not sealed from water ingress from underneath. When I was doing it it was just a case of the was a lot of things that made me think "yep that makes sense" and very few that didn't.
What I did is just my interpretation of many threads on many forums and is by no means the right way. I have to say it seemed a bit weird that the transfer case breather came out of a plastic box! But it's what someone else had done with no ill affect so I copied.
I have crossed water about 500-600mm deep since and had no contamination.
What I'd love to do is find a Paj auto box out of the car, new, old whatever so I could physically see all over it and be 100% sure what I've done is right.
If I get time tonight I'll get under it and try comparing your photos to what I can see and feel

ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 16-02-16
Valued Member

Also, if it's a closed loop how do they breath. One end of one of those hoses must vent somewhere

Old 16-02-16
Valued Member

This is something I've never worked out in the last few years but is it possible the cavity at ambient temp is equal to atmospheric pressure, then as the gearbox warms up it pressurises the cavity? Then if rapidly cooled by dunking in cool water the pressure in that cavity just drops back towards ambient?
2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com
Old 16-02-16

Default On the right track 4wdboat

If you look at the following....you'll see that the auto breather comes from the TC/front end of the car and goes into the xfer adapter/rear housing cavity at Breather Plug No 1.

The xfer as you can see in your photos comes up from the back t pieces into the main xfer body line, then goes forward to the pipe on the auto xfer adpater/xfer cavity right beside the auto "Breather plug No 1".

Which is mentioned here "2. BREATHER TUBE REMOVAL"

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...197AB00ENG.pdf

Removal process shows a fair bit more

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...0052801ENG.HTM

So for an overall view with squiggly lines

Blue is auto line, purple is xfer and red is the cavity that the lines are linked to.

and

Now, I am not certain whether that cavity is actually vented to the atmosphere ( I am pretty certain it is Edit...actually Disco above mentions the opening in the cavity of the Auto housing)...so what I did was disconnect the lines from the cavity points for the xfer and auto, and ran those to the engine bay as my breathers.
I then looped the "Breather plug 1" and the "Tube" for the xfer at the cavity together so that no dirt or water would get in to that cavity.

I am wary of some other peoples versions of doing diff breathers after looking at the microfiche above, as they have coupled on to pipes that are actually still connected to the cavity section...in the belief that they are actually doing the correct thing...

Shawty

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork and suspension, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Last edited by shawty950; 16-02-16 at 02:53 PM.
Old 16-02-16
Valued Member

Shawty you are a dead set legend! The last pic is what I found and went off when I did mine but I had no idea the one next to plug 1 was for the transfer case. So as it turns out I did my transmission breather right but not my transfer case which is the one I had doubts about.
I'll have to amend my breathers thread. And of course my transfer case breather. A tube between the two cavity adapters is a good idea too.
Thanks heaps.
4wdboat that T piece has got me stumped though. Maybe it was a part of the loom? Dunno.