Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 26-10-12

Default Solar controller

Just got some panels off Evil Bay. They came with a controller on the back.
there are 6 poles on the controller
first two are from the panels
second two go to the battery
third two go to load.

The battery has 12.4V and is charging
But I am getting nothing through the load.

Am I doing something wrong, does the battery need to be fully charged before I can use the load poles Is the controller faulty.

The more I think of it the less you would use this out let, because you would have to run extra wires for a 12 DC connection point from the panels, rather than just running 12 v lights etc off the battery!
1988 NF V6 superwagon, 2 Inch suspension lift, 31 inch AT's, AM & UHF radio, twin HID 7inch driving lights, 20 inch LED light bar, Reese rear tow bar, Ally bull bar, Tigerz 11 Roof cage and awning complete with LED's and remote dimmer, LED side marker lights on the sills, 2 rear 10w LED work lights, Rear view camera. Bluetooth radio for hands free phone. 1200Lbs winch
Old 26-10-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mik View Post
Just got some panels off Evil Bay. They came with a controller on the back.
there are 6 poles on the controller
first two are from the panels
second two go to the battery
third two go to load.

But I am getting nothing through the load.

Am I doing something wrong, does the battery need to be fully charged before I can use the load poles Is the controller faulty.

The more I think of it the less you would use this out let, because you would have to run extra wires for a 12 DC connection point from the panels, rather than just running 12 v lights etc off the battery!
I have lots of solar panels and controllers and long ago stopped using the load outlet. I run everything off the battery terminals and just connect the solar panels through the outlets marked for battery.

I run my camper, my motorhome, my fuel trailer and my portable panels this way without problems.

only time i have had problems was when i used to connect load to the outlet on the controller.
Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica
Old 26-10-12

Default Solar controler

Hi Big Mik, as far as i know from my solar inverter is that you will only be able to use the " load" terminals is when it gets dark(when there is no charge to the battery). It's supossed to be only for low power like lights to light up your vehicle or campsite or a smal fridge.
Old 26-10-12
Resident

Quote:
I doubt your battery is charging at 12.4V.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 26-10-12

Thanks gents, I had a thought it may be operator error

Makes more sense now!
1988 NF V6 superwagon, 2 Inch suspension lift, 31 inch AT's, AM & UHF radio, twin HID 7inch driving lights, 20 inch LED light bar, Reese rear tow bar, Ally bull bar, Tigerz 11 Roof cage and awning complete with LED's and remote dimmer, LED side marker lights on the sills, 2 rear 10w LED work lights, Rear view camera. Bluetooth radio for hands free phone. 1200Lbs winch
Old 26-10-12
Valued Member

Panel > Controller
Controller > Battery
Battery > lights, fridge, etc.

Beer Time
Old 26-10-12

I second to that. I was in the same boat connecting solar panel directly to Agm battery for a charge and getting 12.4-12.5v at the terminals. Thought something was not right as the battery has not received much of the charge if any after almost 10 hours of grilling. I then connected solar panel to input terminals of Waeco Perfect Charge dc08 (8A dc to dc charger) and fed the Agm battery with higher 14.3v out of dc08 output. That worked much better for me. Could be just an issue with my solar panel in particular as solar panel controller "battery out" should be within 14.1-14.4v range, I was told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I doubt your battery is charging at 12.4V.

Last edited by securegsm; 26-10-12 at 08:07 PM.
Old 27-10-12

The Battery started at under 12V because it had been running lights the last time I used it.
So when I checked it was 12.4V after a short while.
If I leave the multimeter on, depending on sun, I can see an input of upto 13.7V.
Now I have a new question. What voltage would you expect to be comming directly out of the controller?

I have upto 20V which I am guessing the controller throws out max power until it registers a voltage or "load requirement"

Sorry it's all new to me and I don't wantr to damage anything, I just want to know how it works a little better before I buy an invertor.

Thanks guys.
Old 27-10-12
Resident

Quote:
The Battery started at under 12V because it had been running lights the last time I used it.
So when I checked it was 12.4V after a short while.
If I leave the multimeter on, depending on sun, I can see an input of upto 13.7V.
Now I have a new question. What voltage would you expect to be comming directly out of the controller?
That sounds better. For a conventional lead-acid battery, the traditional "float voltage" is 2.3V per cell, or 13.8V for a 12V battery. So 13.7V (particularly if the battery is drawing significant current) sounds right.

A solar panel will have a no load "open circuit" voltage (i.e. no current), a short circuit current (bugger all voltage), and maximum power (voltage x current) is somewhere in between - depending on the light. Unfortunately, putting a solar panel directly across a battery rarely results in maximum power coming from the panel, as the voltage across the battery won't be at the maximum power point for the panel. This is why a decent controller is required; to suck maximum possible power from the panel, and put as much of that as possible into the battery.

Depending on the design of the controller, it is possible that it won't regulate the output voltage until there is a load on it; so the 20V is its maximum output at no current, but it should reduce once current flows.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 27-10-12

cheers NJ

Now it's all starting to make sense!