Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 14-12-10
Valued Member

Default Solar Rip Off

There is a company selling solar panels on Ebay (eproductsshop) that are not rated to what is advertised. E.g. a 160 Watt system is only 120 Watts of actual panels when independantly tested.
The company is doing this knowingly and when caught out they refunded part of the money but continue to sell the same product.
Not only is it not advertised correctly but there is also incorrect labelling on the product which over rates the performance.
Be careful.
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 15-12-10
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to peter92 Send a message via Skype™ to peter92

if you ring fair trading they will investergate for you and see what happens
regards peter
SKYPE NAME possum.58
Old 15-12-10
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Pete & Mon's NS

I agree with Peter. Get someone onto them to stop poor unsuspecting future customers buying crap goods. Did you leave negative feedback at least?
Old 14-02-11
Valued Member

I have contacted the appropriate authorities, it's in their hands, althoug I notice the company is still selling.

Ebay / Paypal are aware but as the matter was resolved formally after my complaint through the partial credit if they follow it up I won't know about it as my case is closed.

Supplier = http://myworld.ebay.com.au/eproductsshop/

Current Example = http://cgi.ebay.com.au/220W-FOLDING-SOLAR-PANEL-MONOCRYSTALLINE-COMPLETE-SET-/110648544326?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item19c32acc46
I couldn't say if this one is over rated or not. Need to know the dimensions (notice that they don't publish that in the specs) and then compare dimensions to a reputable brand's specs which you can find on the net. If smaller then unlikely to be rated to what is advertised.

The best test if purchased is to complete a short circuit test. They will tell you not to do that as it may damage the panel but I have advice from Australia's largest solar Distributor (I have contacts there) that there is no issue with a short circuit test.

To complete a short circuit test you need an ammeter of appropriate size and full sun on the panels. Disconnect the panel from the regulator and place the ammeter directly across the panel.

The result should match:
Wattage divide by 18 (this figure varies slightly between brands) = short circuit current.

My panels (each) were:
3.33 Amps short circuit current, thus were 60 watt panels. Not the 80 watt advertised.

Now, here's the thing. Even at the lower rating, they are a good buy. Well constructed panel, reasonably efficient in comparison to other brands and I paid a good price for what I got BUT I didn't get what was advertised.

The nasty part for some people is if they calculate their recharge capacity on the advertised figure and unless they got suspicious (as I did) and did a short circuit test they would never know it is undersized.

Here's another give away. The unit advertised above as a 220 Watt folding panel is supplied with a 12 Amp regulator. 220 / 18 = 12.22 Amps...... doesn't make much sense to supply a regulator that can't handle the max output, it would fail.
My bet is that this actually a 160 Watt unit (2 x 80 Watt panels) as the next 'standard' size from reputible manufacturers above that is 125 or 130 Watt each.

Hope this helps.
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 16-02-11
Valued Member

hi pauld, you dont mind buying something for that price but like you said, its not what you bort, the other thing is would you have bort them anyway at that price
regards peter
SKYPE NAME possum.58
Old 16-02-11
Valued Member

Hi Peter, I was actually surprised at how much solar panels had dropped in price when I first went on Ebay after deciding we needed one. The price I initially paid, despite being only 120 Watt was I believe still quite good and then the price I ultimately paid after they provided a 33% credit was great.

But, it's the deliberate & ongoing false advertising that's intolerable. The product is one that is hard for the average punter to prove is not what is advertised & that is why they have been getting away with it.

In the end it's the right physical size for us, wouldn't want any bigger, so all worked out well for us.

I had moved and forgotten about it but then stumbled across one of their ads again recently & thought I would share with the forum.
Old 16-02-11
Valued Member

im glad it worked out for you
also i want to thank you for bringing it to our attention, one person getting ripped off is one too many.seeing a lot of members are after/using solar panels its things like this that we should all no about, again thanks
regards peter
SKYPE NAME possum.58
Old 16-02-11
Valued Member

Escam, where people who are to marginal to go into actual business do it half assed on-line..

Can't stand the place.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com
Old 17-02-11
Valued Member

I'm not sure of this but I have believed for quite a while that it is impossible to get the full rated wattage from a solar panel in the southern parts of Australia. The international rating protocol tests the panels under full sun with the sun directly overhead. South of the Tropic of Capricorn that never happens in Australia.

The reason (as explained to me) for the rating being done that way is that it is the only way to give an internationally comparable rating to panels - otherwise they would have to be re-rated each time for the location in which they are located.

Gaz

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
Old 17-02-11
Valued Member

Certainly some merit to the rating system you talk about, if the panel is 'flat' - horizontal to the ground as it would be if at the equator.

From my understanding I can't see why the panel can't achieve maximum output if tilted appropriately for the position on the globe & for the time of year.

My test, as recommended by a contact in the game, was to tilt the panel directly at full sun and complete the short circuit test. The result was exactly what I was advised to expect from a 60 watt panel (x2 makes up the 120 watt) rather than 80 watts as sold.

I saw a doco a few years back on a company trying to develop a gas canister of some description that used the sun to provide expansion to tilt & rotate the panel to 'follow the sun' & then a network of springs to return.... not sure if that ever made it...

In an ideal world the panel rotates throughout the day to follow the sun, varies it's tilt depending on time year & location on the globe.

I believe the ideal tilt for Melbourne is 38 degrees but an adjustment for Summer & Winter is a good idea.

I guess the fact that the vendor never disagreed with my claim (in fact virtually admitted it on the phone) & paid up a 33% refund suggests that the panels were in fact only 60 watt each & thus the test is validated.