Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 09-07-19
Valued Member

The shocks should be interchangeable with the NM ones. Pretty straightforward to swap over in the shed yourself just to test it out.
Old 09-07-19

Hi OJ,
From memory the NW is around the 500mm mark at the front. Will be looking for a bullbar one day so will probably worry about doing something with the front then if I can get away with it.
The float has load sharing suspension and would sit fairly level on the NM, but with the NW original long low tongue it was lower, that is why I changed the tongue (Navara D22). Ball is about 25mm higher and almost 100mm forward now. It is a 3 horse angle load float which is about 6 meters long. Never had to worry about an adjustable hitch as it just seamed to be level. Have also worked out horse placement in float to keep it level. Level has only been done by eyeballing though.

Scott.
Old 09-07-19
Super Moderator

Hi Scott,

I would recommend fitting King coils KCRS-35 and Oztec shockers 60831, these are available from GSA Suspension Wholesalers. Tell them you have had GSA recommended by the Pajero Fourm and they should give you a better price.
Contact Steve Sheppard.
http://www.gsad.com.au

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 26-07-19

Just to add a spanner to the works, as I;m not sure if it has been mentioned if the van only does this under breaking or under normal travelling.

either way, someone might find this useful, but my van would pull to one side under breaking.
turns out when the new brakes were put in, they hadn't adjusted them evenly.
thus one side would work over time and the other wasn't.
thus it would pull the van to one side and the front of the vehicle to the other anytime the brakes were applied.

just chucking it out there
Old 04-08-19

Hi guys, just an update. Fitted the Kings springs to the rear, left the originals in the front, but went with Ultima shocks, heavy duty rear and standard front. Heights before front Lh 495mm Rh 490mm, rear Lh 510mm Rh 500mm. After front Lh 495mm Rh 500mm, rear Lh 535mm Rh 535mm. Yes it now sits level! It drives well, a little bit stiffer but not floating like it was, but most importantly tows the float well. Now feels connected with the road. Had to put the MM tongue back in to level the float. Thanks for the advise O.J. And others. One more question how long would you leave the springs settle before getting a wheel alignment done? Majority of country road driving so suspension is working.
Old 04-08-19
Super Moderator

The springs should settle no more than 5mm within a few kms. Since your rear ride height has changed 25-30mm it would be best to get a rear wheel alignment fairly soon. Cost of a wheel alignment is small compared to wearing the outside edges of the tyre's out over a few thousand kms and having to scrap the tyres.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 05-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrunning2009 View Post
Hello All

We have a 2018 Pajero & weíre towing a dual axle 2.8T caravan with 150kg on the ball

At 90km/hr on the highway we get shaking of the car side to side.

Have had caravan wheels balanced & aligned, hasnít stopped the shaking. Caravan manufacturer says itís because of the independent suspension of the Pajero

Will fitting of airbag suspension help with this?

Cheers

Ken
Late to the party. Have you also considered fitting electronic stability control to the caravan? (As well as sorting out suspension etc).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-19
Valued Member

"At 90km/hr on the highway we get shaking of the car side to side. "
What you seem to be describing is a yawing effect...
In regards to the caravan manufacturer..
1/. .I would be quite sceptical of their explanation at this stage until proven otherwise...
2/. I would document all meetings / conversations...names/ job description etc... just in case in the future you may find yourself undertaking a warranty claim with them.
I agree with many of the comments. installing air bag suspension to your vehicle without finding out what is causing the problem in the first place, is throwing good money away.
It seems from your initial explanation, that it may be the design of the suspension of dual wheeled coupled with the van"s design shape that MAY be the problem..
Have other purchasers of your model of van had the same problem as you when towing over 90kph?
Why I say this, as you are increasing speed..over 90kph..the air velocity around the van is applying forces to the Van's structure..that is being transmitted through the chassis /suspension and if the suspension/ wheels is not aligned properly..this can create an unstable Van.
It could a very simple fix..adjusting the vans tyre pressures for that matter or more complicated..hence points 1 & 2
I would get the van's chassis dual suspension alignment checked by a reputable experienced professional who knows what they are doing.....until then..nothing over 90kph.
Good luck.

Last edited by Peterng; 08-08-19 at 11:17 PM.
Old 26-03-20

Many years ago, when I had a Prado, I unwisely put a water container and small tool box on opposite ends of the rear bumper bar on our caravan.
The effect was immediate; a very noticeable 'shimmy' from side to side in the car, due to the extra leverage or swaying of the caravan. Most 'van manufacturers don't recommend adding too much more to the bar.
Nonetheless, our latest 'van has had an extra support added, and with the spare, a box for the occasional use of a Honda 2gen. and a hi-lift jack, I always make sure that every thing is centred as much as possible to the middle of the 'van. Made a bracket for the jack so that it sits in-between the tyre and box on the inside of the bar.
So far have had no problems with our NW.
It is a great, gutsy car for a 4 cylinder.
Greg.
Old 15-04-20
Super Moderator

Good article on why we and US use 10% towball weight rule and Euros use 5-6%.

https://outbacktravelaustralia.com.a...ler-stability/
MY15 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB dual battery, Redarc DC-DC, MM tow hitch, Teshonka elec brake controller, Provent catch can, Munji EGR delete, GME 3350 UHF, Boo's bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R18, Rhino bars, Drifta Rapid 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, TC mod, KAON cargo barrier, factory nudgebar, 40mm suspension lift, Fyrlyt Luxsis 5000. ARB Simpson 3 RTT