Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 19-08-10

Default NM Pajero plug lead to coil

HI, i am changing the plugs and leads in a 2001 NM 3.5 litre Pajero. I have the right lenght leads ont he spark plugs but did'nt check which lead goes onto each coil. I know the firing order is 1,2,3,4,5,6 with the drivers side 9right) 1,3,5 and the passengers side 2,4,6 but do they plug into the coil the same way? i.e does no 1 cylinder go into the first coil from the left and so on or what?

Thanks

GB
Old 19-08-10

Its Stamped on top of the manifold where to put the leads on the coils
2001 NM EXCEED 3.5L AUTO, 2 INCH LIFT WITH BILSTEIN/LOVELLS SD RAISED COMBO, K&N 60L LONG RANGE TANK, ALLOY BULLBAR. ARB COMPRESSOR, PIRAHNA BATTERY TRAY, PROJECTA ISOLATOR, DUAL BATTERIES - ON LIST IS ENGEL FRIDGE, REAR WORK LIGHTS, FRONT DIFF LOCK, EXTRACTORS & HIGH FLOW CAT
Old 19-08-10

Hi just out of intrest what did the leads cost and what brand did you get? If you don't mind me asking.
Pitch
Old 19-08-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarker View Post
HI, i am changing the plugs and leads in a 2001 NM 3.5 litre Pajero. I have the right lenght leads ont he spark plugs but did'nt check which lead goes onto each coil. I know the firing order is 1,2,3,4,5,6 with the drivers side 9right) 1,3,5 and the passengers side 2,4,6 but do they plug into the coil the same way? i.e does no 1 cylinder go into the first coil from the left and so on or what?

Thanks

GB
Looking from front over the bullbar towards the back of the car it is from left to right at the coil packs 521436. Hope this helps.
NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.
Old 19-08-10

Default leads

Yeah, Ii got the Aust made Eagle leads part no e56186. I hope they are OK. I got them from Ultra Cheap Auto for $110.00. I find Ultra Cheap in Kempsey great, good service and prices heaps cheaper than in Canberra.

GB
Old 11-03-20

any follow up on the leads, coils?

what spark plugs are people using.

looking to replace mine and try and get a bit better performance out of the old girl
Old 11-03-20
Valued Member

Rock auto is a good option for cheaper plugs and leads
Old 11-03-20
Valued Member

I found by bitter experience with my NL Pajero (running mainly on LPG) that NGK leads were by far the best, and because I was running on gas, I had tried other brands and they almost invariably failed, causing massive backfires, blowing the air filter box to pieces.

The recommendation for LPG use was to use spark plugs one grade colder than what was recommended for petrol engines. I ended up using Iridium plugs - mainly because the electrode was the thinnest of any plugs - a spark prefers to jump from or to a point rather than a broad surface. The iridium plugs were 0.4 mm diameter, whilst the OEM plugs were 0.6 mm dia platinum tipped plugs. Also, the Iridium plugs of a colder grade were not available in Australia, so I had to go to RockAuto for them. They were much cheaper, even with the freight costs included. Hint:- Try to get all your components from the one supplier, one place to minimise the freight costs.

Take special care when routing the spark plug leads. Try to avoid touching them to other leads, or to earth eg the rocker cover. The leads are very small (5 mm diameter) and therefore it doesn't take much for the insulation to break down. Another way to help with this problem is to reduce the spark plug gap slightly. I used to carefully close the gap from the original 1.1 mm down to about 0.9 mm. This made it easier for the spark to jump at the plug gap rather than breaking through the lead insulation, and also ensured longer plug life before the gap eroded to the point where insulation breakdown occurred.