• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

What An Experience

Well, after 14 years of Pajero ownership it's time to say goodbye. Both work commitments and private requirements mean I've had to consider a different vehicle.

I purchased my first Pajero, an NP 3.2 Auto, back in 2005. An NW 3.2 Auto followed 8 years later in 2013 and I can safely say I've had a fantastic run from these vehicles. No issues whatsoever except a starter motor in the NP, not bad given both vehicles were set up for remote touring and used for the purpose that they were designed for.

A forum member purchased my NP (which is still just as reliable at 14 years old!), and a forum member has now purchased my NW!

For anyone who's thinking about purchasing a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Pajero I can highly recommend them! Here's a few things I've noticed along the journey:

Just a few modifications really transform these vehicles.

Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks are an excellent suspension combination, and lasted way longer than I expected. My current set have done 135,000km and don't even look like they need replacing yet. Both vehicles were at their full GVM on every trip I did.

A larger exhaust and Torqit chip increase power substantially and the addition of a torque converter lock-up combined to improve economy substantially. Generally my economy in mixed conditions was 10-11 km/100 until I added this combination. The forum member who purchased it was achieving 8.8 km/100 over the weekend, and I've been as low as 7.7 km/100 in the right conditions - not bad for a 3 tonne vehicle which originally entered the market 19 or so years ago!

These vehicles will go to most places off-road that any of us would want to go. They aren't designed for rock crawling so don't expect them to be good at it. But get them on a beach, general bush tracks, outback tracks and highways etc and they will work fearlessly and effortlessly all day, fully loaded, and loving it all the way. In fact I found the NW to be an absolute weapon in beach sand, especially compared to the other vehicles that we travel with. They will surprise and embarrass many 4wd's considered by the masses to be much more capable. The traction control and rear diff lock negate the lack of wheel travel.

There are not many negatives really. A bit more road noise and harshness due to the monocoque chassis. Old school diesel noise, but from my experience the best 4 cylinder diesel around.......and I have now travelled in convoy with Nissan Patrols, numerous Toyota Prado's, most of the dual cab utes. They could possibly do with a little more ground clearance in some situations, but not many. And that's about it.

I've been a member of this forum since 2007. The moderators have worked tirelessly to develop a fantastic culture that can not be found on any other vehicle or 4wdriving forum that I have visited. Full credit to you guys, I really appreciate the effort that you've put in over the years to keep it focused and free of dickheads. Legends!

And to the forum members; you guys and girls are the most knowledgeable and helpful group of people that I have come across. Nothing is a too much effort when it comes to helping others in the Pajero/Pajero Sport/Challenger world. This forum has been key in helping me build both vehicles successfully. Not to mention the great trips with the local WA members.

So thank-you to the moderators and the contributors who for the last 12 years have provided me with education and entertainment - you guys and girls all rock! I'm going to miss the Pajero scene.

I'm sure that I'll continue to see you around on the highways and tracks.

Farewell.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Been an absolute pleasure to host you Onslow, it's the long term guys like you that lead by example on this forum and thankyou for 12 years of contributions. Lets hope whatever you purchase down the road gives you many trouble free klms.
    Admin
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Yep....what Pickle said.....
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Onslow
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007

Thanks guys. I wanted to thank individuals who have contributed with so much information, but there are so many of you that it was too difficult to list everyone! And I didn't want to miss anyone out
        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

We also appreciate your input over the last 12 years and your most wonderful sign off. I hope we meet again sometime in the future and I would like to thank you for all your help.

With kind regards,

Shane.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Onslow
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            We also appreciate your input over the last 12 years and your most wonderful sign off. I hope we meet again sometime in the future and I would like to thank you for all your help.

With kind regards,

Shane.
            Likewise Shane. It's members like you whose detailed and factual input helped me build both vehicles to be as capable as they were. And your brilliant posts on your journeys that have kept me entertained (and envious) over the years. Like I mentioned, its members like you who've made this forum what it is today. (I'm already experiencing the crap being dished out on other vehicle sites, and can't believe what people post and how they treat each other.....not to mention the brand egos!)

If you're ever looking for some support for one of your remote Geo Cache trips let me know - I'd be happy to join you.

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Onya Onslow! Hope to see you about the traps on another trip one day!

I don't post too much on here these days, as I've moved to the darkside, but Bren still has the Paj and it will be coming with us up to Exmouth on the weekend. It's more a daily driver for her now, but it hasn't given us too many issues in the 7 years we've had her, so we will be keeping it for some time yet.
              You're dead right about most of the other forums. This one is hard to beat for the sheer wealth of knowledge and the general vibe! Well done to all for a great forum.

Someone has to ask! What did you buy to replace the Paj?
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Onslow
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                Onya Onslow! Hope to see you about the traps on another trip one day!

I don't post too much on here these days, as I've moved to the darkside, but Bren still has the Paj and it will be coming with us up to Exmouth on the weekend. It's more a daily driver for her now, but it hasn't given us too many issues in the 7 years we've had her, so we will be keeping it for some time yet.
                You're dead right about most of the other forums. This one is hard to beat for the sheer wealth of knowledge and the general vibe! Well done to all for a great forum.

Someone has to ask! What did you buy to replace the Paj?
                Mate; I was really hoping no-one would ask...to save me the embarrassment! But I've gone with a 200 Series. It suits my varied work commitments and our personal touring requirements reasonably well. We'll see how it goes...I hope its as reliable as the Paj's have been. Interestingly the NW Paj with the performance mods I had produced more power than the 200.....but oh the torque in that V8!

We should keep those WA trips going...at least once a year?

Comment

• Nab
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Perth

This is a hard forum to beat. I sold my Paj over 12 months ago but I still pop I regularly and try and give my 2c as repayment for the info I gained from being here and owning the NP for 6 years!

Lots seem to go for the 200, ticks many boxes for an outback tourer. What about doing a build thread on here??
                  SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                  NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                    Mate; I was really hoping no-one would ask...to save me the embarrassment! But I've gone with a 200 Series. It suits my varied work commitments and our personal touring requirements reasonably well. We'll see how it goes...I hope its as reliable as the Paj's have been. Interestingly the NW Paj with the performance mods I had produced more power than the 200.....but oh the torque in that V8!

We should keep those WA trips going...at least once a year?
                    Nothing wrong with the 200 series, if you think that's bad, I've been eyeing off some Y62's lately, and keeping an eye on the new defender thats due next year All in the pursuit of more horsepower

I'm always up for a trip somewhere, although I'm screwed for time off the rest of this year, maybe a run down to Israelite Bay and Bilbunya dunes early next year, make a week of it?
                    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Onslow
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                      Nothing wrong with the 200 series, if you think that's bad, I've been eyeing off some Y62's lately, and keeping an eye on the new defender thats due next year All in the pursuit of more horsepower

I'm always up for a trip somewhere, although I'm screwed for time off the rest of this year, maybe a run down to Israelite Bay and Bilbunya dunes early next year, make a week of it?
                      Sounds good, I’ll keep in touch. Also flat out for the rest of the year but will start looking at timing now so we can book it in.

New Defender could be really interesting too. Will wait to see what the first offering is like. Y62 has some stonking power, but not sure if the rest of the vehicle is sorted yet, plus north of Carnarvon it’s almost all Toyota’s these days.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X