Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc

Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc Discussion on pro's and con's of other makes and models.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
I see there's now a recall of the 2016-2018 70 Series due to the DPF and a potential for fire so they are retro fitting heat shields.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/toy...e-to-fire-risk
Yeah, saw it too. Letís face it, Toyota were forced into meeting EURO emission controls and a DPF was their choice. With all the 2.8L DiD issues and a lesser extent the 200ís Iím sure their executives are shaking their heads given the HUGE engineering issues theyíve faced causing pain to their finances, their customers, and their reputation. They certainly havenít handled it well either.

I bought my Ď16 NX new because the I knew Ď17 had a DPF, yet I find myself now with a DPF in my 200.
I must say though there is something nice about an exhaust which is literally soot free.

In the end, the choice nowadays is a diesel with a DPF/adblue, or a Petrol. Personally Iíd still go a diesel for OZ conditions, even with the potential time bombs.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 2 Weeks Ago

We looked at buying a LC when we bought our current 4x4. Ended up with a Montero (=Pajero=Shogun). The Montero has slightly better clearance, better approach angle, and about the same departure angle. The LC could argue slightly better agility. We had good experience with our previous LC (series 80) however the LC and the Montero were close in terms of ability, and (more to the point), for the same level of specification, the Montero was HALF the price... at least in our market.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hi all , possibly a bit off topic maybe ?

Just how robust is the Pajero drive train in comparison to an IFS Landcruiser ?

When i had my UZJ100 Cruiser it went everywhere on private and club trips and during the skill update training and assesments with 4wdsa on different properties and tracks within Sth Aust without a problem , however i was present when a 200 series snapped a front CV and a HDJ100 sheered a front Crown Wheel , and that made me a bit cautious about wanting to push my Cruiser on certain obstacles that little bit extra as i was able to do with confidence in my previous GQ Patrol

I have yet to see a Pajero of any model that was unable to complete an offroad obstacle that we have come across on club or private trips or during training , or a Pajero that had drive train damage caused by offroad driving

I haven't had the chance of taking my NX on a challenging track as yet , i bought it in early March 2020 got a 50mm lift fitted to go on a club trip to Bendley Ranges and drive up Billy Goat Ridge as its maiden track but Covid 19 restrictions put a hold on that

cheers

Last edited by Yeorgos; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:20 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeorgos View Post
Hi all , possibly a bit off topic maybe ?

Just how robust is the Pajero drive train in comparison to an IFS Landcruiser ?

When i had my UZJ100 Cruiser it went everywhere on private and club trips and during the skill update training and assesments with 4wdsa on different properties and tracks within Sth Aust without a problem , however i was present when a 200 series snapped a front CV and a HDJ100 sheered a front Crown Wheel , and that made me a bit cautious about wanting to push my Cruiser on certain obstacles that little bit extra as i was able to do with confidence in my previous GQ Patrol

I have yet to see a Pajero of any model that was unable to complete an offroad obstacle that we have come across on club or private trips trips or during training , or a Pajero that had drive train damage caused by offroad driving

I haven't had the chance of taking my NX on a challenging track as yet , i bought it in March 2020 got a 50mm lift fitted to go on a club trip to Bendley Ranges and drive up Billy Goat Ridge as its maiden track but Covid 19 restrictions put a hold on that

cheers
Hi George,

The Gen 4 Pajero driveline has a reputation of being very strong but it is not bullet proof, all things will fail under certain circumstances. The carbon tailshafts will destroy themselves quickly if you damage them on a rock, but the tailshaft is tucked up high and out of the way. A few transfer cases have failed but these have had reasonably hard lives from what I have read. Split a drive boot and get sand, water or mud in the joint and they quickly deteriate, as do all CV, DOJ or BJ's.

I have been going to Bendleby Ranges for over 10 years and have driven Billy Goat over a dozen times, it is a toughish track. With the correct driver technique and external spotter, a Gen 4, with a mild suspension lift and AT tyre's at low pressures can do this track without problems. The Pajero traction control is great on this track, engage the rear diff lock and they make it look easy. I have seen Patrols, Cruisers and Jeeps with 35" and 37" tyre's struggle and give up on this track only to have a group of Gen 4 Pajero's and a PB Challenger (no rear diff lock and crap traction control) on 31" & 32" tyre's, simply just drive around them and up and over the ridge.
My previous 4wd, a manual LWB 89 Jackaroo with factory rear LSD and 215/80R16 AT's at low pressures could traverse this track, in low 1st without needing to go too fast, spin the tyre's or damage anything.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Yeorgos, I'd be interested in finding out under what circumstances the damage happened.

For example the busted CV. A CV can be "easy" to break if you lift the wheel off the ground, have it spinning, then drop back onto the ground. The combined shock load of the spinning wheel and weight can break them.
The first time you lift a wheel and put it down whilst spinning is unlikely to break anything (unless it is an extreme event), but do it with enough force enough times and it'll break.

We all like to throw a bit of mud at other types of vehicles. Some crowds more than others! All vehicles have their stronger/weaker points. But drive smart and sensible, you'll likely not break anything.

Like OJ, I too have seen big rigs struggle on obstacles yet I've gone up in my Paj which was far less equipped. Why? Good spotter, know where my wheels and the low-and-likely-to-catch-on-rocks points are, and most of all having a good think about the best line and taking it easy- its not all about momentum and lift and lockers!

Back to the LC200.... never driven one, but would like a go one day!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hi Alex

The 200 series which also had a front locker was coming out of a dry creek bed and decided to go up a rocky step up which was a bit high and required some track maintanance to assist the climb , the front tyres couldn't get a grip and he spun them a bit harder to try and get traction and Snap , the left CV gone , the owner driver had driven this obstacle before in his previous GU Patrol without any mishap

The HDJ100 sheered the front crown wheel reversing up a sand dune to recover another vehicle that had bottomed out on top .

To be honest both drivers ( I'm acquainted with) were not really thrashing the vehicles , and even by fitting solid pinion spacers to strengthen the Toyota diffs you can still break them if not careful as its their weak link , (heaps of info on LCOOL forum)

Ive owned an IFS Hilux and Landcruiser and haven't come close to damaging any of my vehicles , but i see it all too often with some new club members being too enthusiastic with the accelerator and need to be toned down and advised , hence club training

Cheers