• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelma
    • Aug 2019
    • Yeppoon

what sand pressure

Hi, We attempted our first serious go at sand driving . Byfield state forest, Stockyard Road. The last section as it goes up. The PS would not ! I dropped to 20 psi . Lowest I could go without a pump. What are you dropping the standard 18" tyres too for soft rutted sand, should I lock rear diff ?
    Cheers for any advice
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I feel comfortable going to 16-18psi but, as you’ve alluded to, you need a compressor to reinflate.

On a few occasions, I’ve been down to 10psi but you need to use caution at this pressure - don’t drive fast and definitely don’t do any fast/sharp turns as there is a rust of rolling the tire off the rim.

You would be amazed the difference going from 20 to 16 psi makes... and again from 16 to 10psi.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Of course it all depends on how soft, how deep, whether there are inclines, even time of day (temperature of the sand). First things first. If you are venturing onto soft sand then you will need to air down and then air up again when you get back onto the road. So a compressor (or at least a foot pump if you are energetic) is almost essential if no one else in the group has one, or there is no service station nearby. Next, turn off the ASC, because you don't want any unwelcome momentum-spoiling braking if the ASC senses a tyre losing traction. As far as pressures go, on soft sand, I would generally air down to no higher than 18 psi and am quite prepared to go down to 14 psi even from the get-go, depending on conditions. I start putting a little more thought when going lower than this, but I have been down to 10 psi on rare occasions. I sometimes engage my rear locker, but for me it's really all about tyre pressures (and trying to drive on someone else's tracks.) Also, I would never venture onto sand without a long handle shovel and some Maxtrax.

I have never been to Byfield, so others may be able to give more appropriate advice for that area.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

On 18 inch passenger construction tyres I am always wary to recommend going below 16 psi unless it is an emergency due to the low sidewall height and the soft sidewalls of a passenger construction tyre, you have a greater chance of sidewall damage.

On the Pajero Sport you should also consider fitting aftermarket intercooler and sump underbody guards, the factory guards are only slash guards and bend easily in soft deep sand. The result can be damage to intercooler and radiator, this is far more expensive than a set of aftermarket guards.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Looking at this from a slightly different perspective:

I don't know the particular track you were on, but I've driven sand on Fraser & Stradbroke, and multiple SA beaches / dune play fields / Simpson Desert crossings, and I have no reason to suspect that a Pajero Sport isn't a capable sand vehicle. So why did you have a less than awesome experience?

I'll presume you were on road tyres, because nothing here has suggested otherwise. In my experience, road tyres don't normally dig in sand, because they simply don't have enough "bite" to grab sand and throw it out. They simply slip on the top, and I (personally) don't believe pressure makes that much difference with road tyres on sand.

Most likely, if you didn't turn off ASC, that was detecting wheel spin on the sand and cutting power. We've all been caught out by that, and occasionally still get caught out. On sand, hit the ASC Off button.

If that didn't fix the problem, then definitely try the rear diff lock - but only for attempting "tricky bits". Again, in my experience on loose & rutted sand, locked diffs (centre, rear, front) make the vehicle follow ruts more aggressively, resulting in the vehicle being thrown side to side more than with everything unlocked. On sand, don't be afraid to use diff locks as you need them, but see how far you can get without them. Eventually you'll learn to recognise what you can drive without them, and what you'll need them for.

As others have stated, if all of the above hasn't worked, don't be afraid to drop your pressures lower - with all of the considerations that have been well covered above.

Don't have a compressor? Not the end of the world. You can cross the country quite safely on 10 psi - if you drive slow enough. If you get caught out with low tyre pressures and can't pump them up, drive slowly until you can. Go lower, drive slower.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

The Pajero Sport has an excellent traction control system so in most cases it will be better than the RDL as the RDL disables the TC system to the front axle.

ASC off selection catches many people out, even if you select it off, as soon as you turn the engine off the ASC will automatically come on when you restart the engine. However if you use low range then ASC will be automatically turned off.

The PS 8 speed is a great auto but in soft sand it is best to use the semi manual mode and low range as the torque convertor locks up from 3rd gear onwards, so ATF temps will be lower and you will not be losing drive by a slipping torque convertor. Using Drive will result in the auto selecting a gear too high and the torque convertor will unlock in gears 3rd and above, resulting in poor performance and the car will feel like it is struggling.

NJswb and I agree on most things, except tyre pressures on HT tyre's, lower tyre pressures will result in more floatation and less wheel spin. You will need less engine power to traverse the same section of sand if you have lower tyre pressures. When climbing even gently gradients then AT tyre's will get you further than HT tyre's, agressive AT and MT tyres will get you even further than HT's but as soon as you get any wheel spin the more agressive tyre's will dig down very quickly.

On 18" rims with HT's at 16 psi limit your speed to 40kph, your tyre will heat up very quickly when driven at higher speeds and lower pressures.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• dragonjon
              • Feb 2018
              • sunshinecoast

how much tread do you see on a 2 wheel drive beach buggy ?
              virtually zero
              less tread the better on sand
              personally i never go below 18psi never had a problem
              Get those bash plates though

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

In relation to footprint length and tyre pressures have a read of this thread and its links.

OJ.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by dragonjon View Post
                  how much tread do you see on a 2 wheel drive beach buggy ?
                  virtually zero
                  A completely different situation. Beach buggies are typically smaller & lighter, with a much better power to weight ratio, with larger & wider tyres, and make great use of speed / momentum to get where they're going. A Pajero Sport is not a beach buggy.

If you google for tyres for beach buggies or sand rails you get lots of images like these:

Originally posted by dragonjon View Post
                  less tread the better on sand
                  Let's agree to disagree.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Thelma
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Yeppoon

Thanks for the replies. There was some points I had not thought of. It's my first 4x4 auto finding my feet. Love the 8 speed.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X