• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iaitoo
    • Oct 2016
    • Norway

Where to put the EGT probe?

Hello!

Where would you put the EGT probe? I was under the impression that it should go into the exhaust manifold for the most accurate reading. But found this guide in the DIY section that puts it in the dump pipe.

Putting it in the dump pipe would make me less afraid the ruin the turbo with pieces of metal from drilling and tapping :P And the manifold is pretty shallow, so not sure if a probe could even fit in there? But how much of a temp difference would it be between the manifold and dump pipe? Turbo probably cools it a bit?

Want to keep my engine head safe. Previous owner has modded it some. So want to make sure I don't blow it. Not been on the road since I bought it, so no idea how much boost it is running or whatever. But that gauge is already sorted.
  • rotare
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

The EGT probe can go in either of those positions. The general rule of thumb is that the temp in the exhaust dump pipe will be roughly 200C lower than that in the exhaust manifold.

I've only ever run mine in the exhaust manifold because I could tap and drill the EGR blanking plate I had fitted and measured the temps coming directly from number 4 cylinder - so it was convenient in my situation. Measuring the temp in the exhaust manifold I could see instantaneous changes to temps with a digital temp gauge. I'm guessing a probe in the dump pipe would be just as effective, but would possibly react more slowly to temp changes.
    2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Goodsy
      Who ya gunna call....
      • Dec 2010
      • Hervey Bay

If your scared about metal getting into your exhaust manifold and turbo drill and tap with engine running.
      Exhaust gas blows all the metal out. I did the same on my NS without issue.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• wazza87
        • Apr 2015
        • Gold Coast

Egt

I would never reccomend drilling the manifold without removing the turbo, im sure people get away with it all the time but it is a risk. I put mine at the egr flange when I removed the egr valve. It then melted. So i got my new one put in the dump pipe when my exhaust was made. This is less desireable. Bit it gives me valuable information.

The max temps at cyl 4 was 700 degrees before i moved it, im guessing with factory tuning. Now in my dump pipe it gets to 600 without any fueling mods. So a 100C drop across the turbine. Most people will say 200C drop but every turbo is diff and even the same vehicles can exhibit different temps with similar set ups. IMO when the wastegate is open, ie full boost, some exhaust gas is bypassing the turbo and hitting the thermocouple (sender) so the 200C drop is probably over estimating.

So here we are again, best place is at turbine inlet but you can use it at the turbine outlet (close as possible to turbine) and still use it for tuning.

Remember, your motor might be safe at 750C where the guy next to you cracks his head at 700C just don't push the motor too hard and if you want lower egts, run slightly lean/slightly over boosting.

Waz
        -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• Iaitoo
          • Oct 2016
          • Norway

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
          If your scared about metal getting into your exhaust manifold and turbo drill and tap with engine running.
          Exhaust gas blows all the metal out. I did the same on my NS without issue.

Not afraid if I'm doing in the dump pipe, just if I do it on the manifold

Thanks for tips everyone, will probably put it in the dump pipe then. If it's in danger of melting :P

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X