Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Airbag manufacturer Takata files for bankruptcy!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bennyb29
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Brisbane

Airbag manufacturer Takata files for bankruptcy!

Japan-based airbag manufacturer Takata has filed for bankruptcy protection in the US and Japan. This is being seen as a consequence of the company's accumulating losses as it faces billions of dollars in costs and liabilities due to its defective airbags. Takata has officially revealed that it will be sold to US-based Key Safety Systems, in a deal worth US$ 1.6 billion.

The company's US-based arm, TK Holdings had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Delaware, while the Japanese parent company has also filed for similar protection with the Tokyo District Court. It is being speculated that the company will in total have a liability estimate of around US$ 15 billion. However, the final figure will be available only when various carmakers, who used Takata airbags, have a discussion and reach a liability figure with the airbag supplier. Currently, these carmakers have borne the major brunt of the recall and replacement costs.

Key Safety Systems will buy all Takata assets, apart from those that are related to airbags. The US-based firm believes that Takata's other products, like steering wheels and seat belts, still have satisfactory brand image and market demand. The company has claimed that it is likely to keep "substantially all" Takata employees, which amount to a 60,000 workforce that is spread over 23 countries.

Takata has been at the centre of the biggest automotive recall ever seen, after its airbags were found to have a potential defect that makes them volatile with age and prolonged exposure to heat. This can result in sudden explosion of the airbag inflator with higher force, which could cause metal shards to be thrown around the cabin, leading to the risk of an injury to the driver and occupants. The said issue has been linked to at least 17 deaths across the globe.

Source : https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN19G0ZG

Looks like we are gonna have further delays with the airbag recall!
    Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I could be mistaken but I thought the new air bags were coming from a different manufacturer in which case this shouldn't affect the time we get them done.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
      I could be mistaken but I thought the new air bags were coming from a different manufacturer in which case this shouldn't affect the time we get them done.

You are correct.

Comment

• linc
        • Jan 2008
        • Perth

And just in case anyone is underestimating the seriousness of this particular recall, there's apparently been a 2nd death in Australia attributed to the Takata Airbag, as of last week in Sydney.

Link to ABC news article

FWIW, I had mine done today at my regular service, but am very concerned about the apparent lack of urgency on the passenger recall.

EDIT: First Australian fatality. I thought the incident a few months ago in the NT was fatal, doing some fact checking and it appears it was *only* near-fatal
        Original ABC article from NT Incident
        Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
        Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
        Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• Scouter1
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2013
          • Sydney NSW

I had my driver's side airbag done a few weeks ago - last night when I had the wheel off doing the paddle kit installation noticed the replacement unit was also manufactured by Takata.

Faulty Takata airbags which are linked to 18 deaths globally and the world's biggest recall in automotive history are being replaced by new faulty airbags, according to a report by consumer group Choice.

They include various models of Toyota, Mazda, Honda, BMW, Chrysler, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and several others.

Product Safety Australia has published a full list of the cars affected by the Takata recall.

In a statement, Toyota confirmed it had used Takata products as replacement parts in some cases.

This is the biggest car recall in history, there's a waitlist for the replacement airbag and as Choice's investigation has found, the new device might not be a permanent fix.
          "This action provided safety for a number of years, however due to exposure to the environment over time, these airbags will need to be replaced again," the company said.

"Toyota has a rectification process in place for impacted customers."

Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi did not respond to Choice on whether they did like-for-like replacements.

Going to take a while to sort this one out I suspect, in the meantime...

Cheers,
          Stephen
          Attached Files
          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• linc
            • Jan 2008
            • Perth

I spoke with my MM dealership this morning, on the back of this report.
            From what was relayed to me, there are a few parts to all of this.

Takata were apparently found to be replacing the faulty bags with the same parts (like for like), and then shipping them around the world for fitting under the recall. So yes, there are some manufacturers that used the same part for the recall. From what I understand this has stopped and, whilst many manufacturers are still using Takata parts, they're the properly fixed versions. This doesn't really address my own concerns properly (in terms of whether MMA were supplied the dodgy replacements or not) but they seem confident and satisfied with what's is currently in my car, post-recall.

Also, I challenged them about the recall on the passenger side, which still hasn't (IMO) been addressed properly. In MM's words, there are two types of Takata airbags, the Type A and Type B. Type A is the one with the issue, and there have been no actual reports of issues with the Type B airbag. It was said to me that neither the driver or passenger bags in the Pajero were fitted with the problematic Type A anyway, so risk is very low. None of the incidents around the world have involved a Pajero, allegedly. In their mind, the fact that the passenger side hasn't been fixed yet isn't cause for concern.

I haven't fact checked much of the above -- this is very much a summary of what I was told by MM this morning, and am trusting that I'm not being fed bull-dust.
            That said, I am retaining a healthy dose of cynicism throughout this and won't be fully satisfied until I know for sure that both sides are replaced with parts that are proven to be fixed.
            Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
            Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
            Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• bennyb29
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by linc View Post
              Also, I challenged them about the recall on the passenger side, which still hasn't (IMO) been addressed properly. In MM's words, there are two types of Takata airbags, the Type A and Type B. Type A is the one with the issue, and there have been no actual reports of issues with the Type B airbag. It was said to me that neither the driver or passenger bags in the Pajero were fitted with the problematic Type A anyway, so risk is very low. None of the incidents around the world have involved a Pajero, allegedly. In their mind, the fact that the passenger side hasn't been fixed yet isn't cause for concern.
              If the Pajero hasn't been fitted with the Type A airbag, then why is it on the recall list?
              I think this is the dealer putting forth his own view, and not necessarily the reality.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• Scouter1
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by linc View Post
                Takata were apparently found to be replacing the faulty bags with the same parts (like for like), and then shipping them around the world for fitting under the recall. So yes, there are some manufacturers that used the same part for the recall. From what I understand this has stopped and, whilst many manufacturers are still using Takata parts, they're the properly fixed versions. This doesn't really address my own concerns properly (in terms of whether MMA were supplied the dodgy replacements or not) but they seem confident and satisfied with what's is currently in my car, post-recall.

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
                I followed up with MMAL after finding the replacement unit was labelled Takata, here is their response:

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd (MMAL) acknowledges receipt of your recent correspondence regarding your Mitsubishi Pajero.

MMAL then carry out recalls in line with the FCAI (Federal chamber of Automotive Industries) Code of Practice for the conduct of an automotive safety recall.

Please be advised, the airbag recall is to replace the inflator section of the complete airbag module.
                So the complete module is still branded Takata, but the inflator section is supplied from a different vendor.

I didn't want to play with the airbag too much when it was out of the steering wheel mounting, but there is definitely a separate unbranded inflator module (can be clearly seen in the photo from previous post). The Takata label was on the back of the unit, seems legitimate that it covers the actual airbag.

Out of interest I hadn't yet received a recall letter for the passenger airbag, MMAL suggested I enquire directly with the local dealer. Rang them today where they confirmed there is an outstanding recall and so now booked in for next Thu. Looks like it pays to be proactive on this issue...
                Cheers,
                Stephen
                2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X