X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave T
    • May 2010

Transmission Cooler

Any suggestions guys on an off the shelf transmission cooler for a NP auto?

Dave
  • Ian Johnston
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Mount Gambier, SA

Dont they have one on them?
    2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
    Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
    2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• Zed
      • Jun 2008
      • Hunter Valley

From what I understand is if they come with factory 2500kg tow kit it includes an extra trans cooler, otherwise it just comes with one.
      Mine has the extra factory trans cooler

Comment

• Dave T
        • May 2010

Mine has a 2500 factory fitted towbar and I can't see an extra cooler. It has the standard through the radiator cooler.
        What is the cooler behind the radiator? intercooler?
        Dave

Comment

• Zed
          • Jun 2008
          • Hunter Valley

Originally posted by Dave T View Post
          Mine has a 2500 factory fitted towbar and I can't see an extra cooler. It has the standard through the radiator cooler.
          Dave
          Not sure where the intercoolers are as I have the petrol,
          Mine has the extra cooler in front of the radiator on the drivers side with a thermo fan on the pasenger side. Also have the standard trans cooler lines running into the bottom tank of the radiator.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Dave T View Post
            Dave
            Is yours a diesel? If so not familiar with intercoolers. Cooler behind the radiator? Do you mean the a/c cooler in front of the radiator and about the same size, towards the front of car? Any additional transmission cooler would also need to be situated in front to get the oncoming air to cool the oil. Mine is on drivers side. I have another oil cooler mounted in the front. It looks different to the transmission cooler and it's an engine oil cooler. You can trace the oil lines to see what it's connected to. Cheers
            99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• gaz1
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Blue Mountains NSW

The factory external transmission cooler is mounted on the driver's side in front of the air con radiator - it's roughly 5"x9" and about 1" thick (sorry about the imperial, this morning I'm not thinking in metric). Even with the external cooler the fluid is still routed through the bottom radiator tank.

I recall from mounting my additional external cooler a few years ago that after lots of checking and re-checking I decided that the standard external cooler is actually after the radiator tank, not what I thought it would be. But I spent ages working through the diagrams in the workshop manual and on my back tracing the actual pipes themselves and I'm pretty sure that is how the fluid flows.

My additional cooler is a Davies Craig, the model marketed as suitable for V8s. You need to make up some mounting hardware (I used 1" aluminium angle and conveyor belt rubber to isolate vibration) and in the end I also had to get some additional hose to supplement what came with the cooler. It will all depend on where/how you decide to mount it. In my case I initially put it where the factory cooler is fitted (cannibalised some of the brackets) but later I decided to also use the factory cooler in series with the Davies Craig, so I made up some completely new mounting bits and put the factory cooler on the passenger side in front of the air con radiator.

Hope this helps.

Gaz
              2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• Dave T
                • May 2010

Found the cooler as you said gaz in front of the radiator on the drivers side.
                Why did you put an extra one inline? Does it make a difference?

Dave.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Brisbane

Just wondering why your after one? Are you having problems with your tranny overheating? From what I understand the Pajero auto's are the market leaders in terms of standing up to towing and rarely if ever over heat, Mitsubishi are a company that tend to go overboard with their radiators and coolers so i'd be surprised if you needed another cooler for your gearbox, but then if your having problems then clearly you do! Just wondering thats all
                  2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• gaz1
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Blue Mountains NSW

I originally put the extra cooler in when I experienced engine overheating problems towing my 2.3t caravan through the Snowy Mtns in 40c weather - but shortly after that I learned about the radiator blockage problems these vehicles can experience.

So I really can't tell you whether the additional cooler reduces the likelihood of overheated transmission or not. But it gives me some sort of peace of mind, so I leave it there. I've got a temp gauge on the transmission as well, and I know that in the most extreme conditions when towing (big hills, very hot weather) it can still get up above 100c, sometimes 110+ but it will drop extremely quickly once the terrain becomes less hilly.
                    Gaz

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                      I originally put the extra cooler in when I experienced engine overheating problems
                      an auto transmission cooler isn't going to help keep the engine from overheating.
                      2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• gaz1
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Blue Mountains NSW

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
                        an auto transmission cooler isn't going to help keep the engine from overheating.
                        I am aware of that, albeit in an engine that is borderline coping with heat, the additional heat from a very hot transmission, absorbed through the in-radiator pipes, could tip the scales. The tranny cooler was part of a complete approach to avoiding any repetition of what took place in the Snowys on that occasion.

Eventually led to also having the radiator dismantled and cleaned out (it was 50%+ blocked internally) and even further down the track to the fitment of a larger radiator.

Gaz

Comment

• speedwave
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Dubai

Hi Gaz,

Can you tell me about your transmission temperature gauge? Where can I get one from? Any brand you recommend?

Thanks,

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                          I originally put the extra cooler in when I experienced engine overheating problems towing my 2.3t caravan through the Snowy Mtns in 40c weather - but shortly after that I learned about the radiator blockage problems these vehicles can experience.

So I really can't tell you whether the additional cooler reduces the likelihood of overheated transmission or not. But it gives me some sort of peace of mind, so I leave it there. I've got a temp gauge on the transmission as well, and I know that in the most extreme conditions when towing (big hills, very hot weather) it can still get up above 100c, sometimes 110+ but it will drop extremely quickly once the terrain becomes less hilly.
                          Gaz
                          3.9L Engine Upgraded OEM +0.5 Pistons, Ported Cylinder head & intake manifold, AEM Filter, Evo Spark Plugs, Unichip Tuning, Headers, High Flow Cat, Transmission Cooler, Omani Gear Hack to prevent auto shifting
                          Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks, 2 inch Fender clearance & wide body kit, 17" Method Rims, Geolandar ATS, Extra AC Fan, LED Lights, Bush Skinz front & sump bash plates, custom bumpers, Panel Switch, Dual Battery, Paddle Shifters, Pedal Commander, TPS System, Vlad Traction on/off

Comment

• gaz1
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Blue Mountains NSW

Speedwave.....PM sent yesterday in reponse to yours.
                            Gaz

Comment

• speedwave
                              • Jul 2010
                              • Dubai

thanks!
                              3.9L Engine Upgraded OEM +0.5 Pistons, Ported Cylinder head & intake manifold, AEM Filter, Evo Spark Plugs, Unichip Tuning, Headers, High Flow Cat, Transmission Cooler, Omani Gear Hack to prevent auto shifting
                              Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks, 2 inch Fender clearance & wide body kit, 17" Method Rims, Geolandar ATS, Extra AC Fan, LED Lights, Bush Skinz front & sump bash plates, custom bumpers, Panel Switch, Dual Battery, Paddle Shifters, Pedal Commander, TPS System, Vlad Traction on/off

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X