• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ActionDan
    • Apr 2019
    • Yackandandah

Paj Sport vs MUX

Shopping the MUX against the Paj Sport. Looking to replace an FG Falcon and a mild 80 series Cruiser with 1 car to do everything.

Spent a little time in an MUX on the weekend, am yet to drive Paj.

Usage will be daily drive, ferrying kids around, tow race car and eventually camper, tow loads of wood from my property/in mild bush, get a little off road with family for fun.

A few questions for owners.

- Is the console/leg space issue a real thing or just journo crap? I'm only 6ft but I do have lanky legs. I see shorter people talk about how narrow and cramped the car is, but taller people say they have no issues?

- Do the older models have any known big issues? I'm not looking to drop 50k on a new one, probs 30ish, mid spec.

- How are you going for ground clearance after a basic lift and some ATs?

- I've never owned a Mitsubishi and have only heard bad things, What's the reliability actually like? People who have done big k's for this one please, I know most cars will be fine for the first years.

- Do the straps for child anchors connected up into the roof obstruct rear vision? May just get isofix seats for the kiddies?

- If you drove both but chose the Paj, why?

- Anything other questions/comments you can offer between the two is welcomed.

Cheers
    Attached Files
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

I have not driven a MUX but have so a Paj Sport. I am only 5"9 and find Paj Sport cramped leg space. I suppose it is the way the centre console is designed. I like to man-spread while driving but if you keep your legs together I suppose it won't be an issue.

Are you also considering a Pajero? I just bought one and is heavenly.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• ActionDan
      • Apr 2019
      • Yackandandah

I do like to manspread lol

Not considering Pajero. Don't. Want a full size 4wd, I have one now and want to get away from it.

Towing was another thing. Seen a few people complain about how they tow.

Comment

• dreamerman
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • Sydney

Originally posted by ActionDan View Post
        Not considering Pajero. Don't. Want a full size 4wd, I have one now and want to get away from it.
        To me a Toyota LC or a Nissan Patrol is a full sized 4WD but personally I do not regard a Pajero to be one. It is not that big to begin with. But that is just my view.
        03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by ActionDan View Post
          I do like to manspread lol

Towing was another thing. Seen a few people complain about how they tow.

Driving an 80 series cannot be compared to a Pajero. 2 totally different vehicles. The Pajero is such a simple everyday drive and just as capable off road as the 80 series. I have had both plus plenty of other Landcruisers and patrols...I,ll have the Pajero anyday.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Merts
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2011
            • Bendigo Vic

My impressions regarding the PS and the MU-X are:

MU-X. Bullet proof engine. A little agricultural. More room.

PS. Modern and more refined. Superior 4WD system (being able to use AWD on the bitumen is an advantage when towing or even in the wet). A bit small inside compared to the Isuzu.

With regard to reliability of Mitsubishis, I've owned/driven:
            Gen2 NH Pajero
            Gen4 NS Pajero
            MQ Triton (current daily drive)
            ASX (wife's current daily drive)

My daughter has had two Magnas.

The only issue I've experienced with any of them was the problematic DPF in the NS.

In relation to towing, my Triton (same engine as the PS) tows a 1.2 tonne off-road camper like it's not on the back. I haven't towed anything heavier so can't comment beyond that.

Finally, regarding the actual Pajero, I'd suggest driving one. They don't feel anything like most 'proper' full sized 4WDs, and they aren't that much bigger than either of the options you are asking about.
            Merts
            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Merts
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2011
              • Bendigo Vic

Just re-read your comment about towing and realised you were referring to the Pajero.

They are a capable tow tug as long as you aren't towing a massive van.
              Merts
              Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
              Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                • Mar 2018
                • Western Australia

I test drove a Isuzu MUX when purchasing my PS.
                No comparison regarding fit out and included extras.
                The MUX is badly in need of a facelift. Cabin looks and feels 10 years old.

Transmission in the PS is great. Keeps the motor in the sweet spot all the time and is very smooth.
                I am 6ft 4in tall and find the PS very comfortable. Drivers seat goes way back to give a good driving position and there is a foot rest for your left foot in the right place.
                I went for the base model as I found the cloth seats much more comfortable than the leather. Did not need the 3rd row seats either.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Brisbane, Southside

I test drove both before choosing the PS. The MUX was on the short list but the wife didn’t like it and as well I didn’t like the rear cargo area with the fold up seats intruding and hampering fridge slide etc. Overall the MUX felt a little dated.

The PS impressed, it has up to the minute electronics, lots of USB outlets and very smart controls. For towing our 2.5 T van I just love the superb 8 speed gearbox and combined with the finger tip paddle shifters its perfect. It tows very well which is due to the 8 speed gearbox, it tows better than my old NT Paj. It is not as roomy in the front as the Paj but its acceptable.

In the end I chose the PS 5 seat PS over the MUX, Prado, and VW Touareg.
                  Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                  Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• ActionDan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    Driving an 80 series cannot be compared to a Pajero. 2 totally different vehicles. The Pajero is such a simple everyday drive and just as capable off road as the 80 series. I have had both plus plenty of other Landcruisers and patrols...I,ll have the Pajero anyday.
                    And another 300kg heavier than the PS, only 5 gears which means slower and worse economy.

That's what I mean by full size 4wd.

All the modern mid size ones are 2 ton and much nicer appointments.

Comment

• ActionDan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                      My impressions regarding the PS and the MU-X are:

MU-X. Bullet proof engine. A little agricultural. More room.

PS. Modern and more refined. Superior 4WD system (being able to use AWD on the bitumen is an advantage when towing or even in the wet). A bit small inside compared to the Isuzu.

With regard to reliability of Mitsubishis, I've owned/driven:
                      Gen2 NH Pajero
                      Gen4 NS Pajero
                      MQ Triton (current daily drive)
                      ASX (wife's current daily drive)

My daughter has had two Magnas.

The only issue I've experienced with any of them was the problematic DPF in the NS.

In relation to towing, my Triton (same engine as the PS) tows a 1.2 tonne off-road camper like it's not on the back. I haven't towed anything heavier so can't comment beyond that.

Finally, regarding the actual Pajero, I'd suggest driving one. They don't feel anything like most 'proper' full sized 4WDs, and they aren't that much bigger than either of the options you are asking about.

Thanks for the detailed feedback

As above, Pajero is another 300kg heavier, 1 less gear, and physically larger.

Comment

• ActionDan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                        Just re-read your comment about towing and realised you were referring to the Pajero.

They are a capable tow tug as long as you aren't towing a massive van.
                        Yes referring to Paj Sport, everyone seems to rate the Isuzu as a better tow rig.

Comment

• ActionDan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Yackandandah

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                          I test drove a Isuzu MUX when purchasing my PS.
                          No comparison regarding fit out and included extras.
                          The MUX is badly in need of a facelift. Cabin looks and feels 10 years old.

Transmission in the PS is great. Keeps the motor in the sweet spot all the time and is very smooth.
                          I am 6ft 4in tall and find the PS very comfortable. Drivers seat goes way back to give a good driving position and there is a foot rest for your left foot in the right place.
                          I went for the base model as I found the cloth seats much more comfortable than the leather. Did not need the 3rd row seats either.
                          Cheers.

I like 5 seats also, but I didn't want to miss out on the factory diff lock.

I see older models had a midspec 5 seater that got the diff lock though.

Comment

• ActionDan
                            • Apr 2019
                            • Yackandandah

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
                            I test drove both before choosing the PS. The MUX was on the short list but the wife didn’t like it and as well I didn’t like the rear cargo area with the fold up seats intruding and hampering fridge slide etc. Overall the MUX felt a little dated.

The PS impressed, it has up to the minute electronics, lots of USB outlets and very smart controls. For towing our 2.5 T van I just love the superb 8 speed gearbox and combined with the finger tip paddle shifters its perfect. It tows very well which is due to the 8 speed gearbox, it tows better than my old NT Paj. It is not as roomy in the front as the Paj but its acceptable.

In the end I chose the PS 5 seat PS over the MUX, Prado, and VW Touareg.
                            Thanks for the insight, appreciate it

Comment

• jared01
                              • Dec 2016
                              • Sydney

3 weeks ago we bought a Pajero Sport, 7 seater GLS, upgrading from a NW Pajero.

We have 3 kids and tow a 2.5T caravan about every 3 weeks.

We took it for it's maiden towing voyage last weekend and it is nicer to tow with compared to the NW Pajero.

I studied the market and considered the MUX but also felt it looked a bit plain inside the car and also there were no Isuzu dealers near me in Western Sydney, so servicing could be an issue, if I wanted to get it service at the dealer.

We just finished getting ours setup for towing before last weekend and changed the tyres to BFG KO2, Redarc TowPro Elitev3, CB radio install and bullbar.

Very happy with the car and reason I chose it was could not go past the 7 year/150K warranty and included value with the car.

It is very nice to drive, comfortable inside and has lots of goodies.

Just yesterday whilst I was driving to work listening to music via android auto/spotify it finally kicked in how comfortable it was to drive.

Now just keeping it clean from kids and wife!
                              2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X