• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

Redarc

Following on from my recent thread about my old tow pro not being compatible with caravan ESC systems, I ordered a new tow pro elite from Redarc. Ordered it on Sunday and had it delivered (to Perth) on Tuesday morning. Good, fast service. Now just have to replace the old one.
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

Have fun

Comment

• Hazpet
      • May 2014
      • Mandurah

Outstanding Technical Support Section

I've had a Redarc BCDEC1225-LV charger in my Pajero for the past five years. I decided this week to get the relay fitted so I could connect solar to it. Took it to a auto electrician for what I thought should be a pretty straight forward job. Took the car home, parked it in the sun. Ten minutes I hear the battery monitor going berserk. The start battery was charging at 15.6 volts. Took it back, very apologetic, picked up the wrong wire, all good now. At home parked it in the sun again 10 minutes later battery monitor going berserk again, charging the auxiliary battery at 15.6 volts. So I made my first call to Redarc Tech Support. Spoke to Calum who said it was not possible for the charger to output 15.6V on solar. Suggested that the solar was somehow bypassing the charger. ..Back I go again, auto leckie has another go, all good now, get home, in the sun, 13.2V, I know the battery is not fully charged and should be on absorption. ..So I demolished the front of the car & pulled the charger out to look at the wiring. He's got the brown wire going to terminal 87 on the relay, now I'm no genius but I can follow a simple wiring diagram and it"s plainly wrong to me.. So I ring Hayden at Redarc who confirms it's wrong & to tell him to wire it to diagram RK1260 on their web site. I printed it off & back I went, demanded he wire the relay as per the diagram...He did, home, in the sun still only 13.2V. Spoke to Hayden again who talked me through a series of tests with a multimeter one of which was the panel output(22.6v) because the charger need 17V to activate the solar. All could think of was the relay must be faulty and to try a new one. Thinking of the 17V he mentioned I decided to check the voltage on the charger side of the anderson plug.. Would you believe 11V not enough to kick in the charger. Straight away I thought a another cockup by the auto leckie, but no it was me, on the panel side of the anderson plug the neg terminal hadn't locked in and when joining the plugs the neg terminal was pushing back and not making proper contact. Fixed that and it was charging like a train. Calum & Hayden at Redarc were extraordinary in their product knowledge, patience and used layman's terms which I easily understood. So glad I brought REDARC.
      2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Hazpet View Post
        I've had a Redarc BCDEC1225-LV charger in my Pajero for the past five years. I decided this week to get the relay fitted so I could connect solar to it. Took it to a auto electrician for what I thought should be a pretty straight forward job. Took the car home, parked it in the sun. Ten minutes I hear the battery monitor going berserk. The start battery was charging at 15.6 volts. Took it back, very apologetic, picked up the wrong wire, all good now. At home parked it in the sun again 10 minutes later battery monitor going berserk again, charging the auxiliary battery at 15.6 volts. So I made my first call to Redarc Tech Support. Spoke to Calum who said it was not possible for the charger to output 15.6V on solar. Suggested that the solar was somehow bypassing the charger. ..Back I go again, auto leckie has another go, all good now, get home, in the sun, 13.2V, I know the battery is not fully charged and should be on absorption. ..So I demolished the front of the car & pulled the charger out to look at the wiring. He's got the brown wire going to terminal 87 on the relay, now I'm no genius but I can follow a simple wiring diagram and it"s plainly wrong to me.. So I ring Hayden at Redarc who confirms it's wrong & to tell him to wire it to diagram RK1260 on their web site. I printed it off & back I went, demanded he wire the relay as per the diagram...He did, home, in the sun still only 13.2V. Spoke to Hayden again who talked me through a series of tests with a multimeter one of which was the panel output(22.6v) because the charger need 17V to activate the solar. All could think of was the relay must be faulty and to try a new one. Thinking of the 17V he mentioned I decided to check the voltage on the charger side of the anderson plug.. Would you believe 11V not enough to kick in the charger. Straight away I thought a another cockup by the auto leckie, but no it was me, on the panel side of the anderson plug the neg terminal hadn't locked in and when joining the plugs the neg terminal was pushing back and not making proper contact.

I also have had this happen....however it was on a non genuine anderson plug. Anderson plugs are now at a good price and I would recommend anyone using non genuine to consider swapping. Even the genuine terminal fittings are a lot better quality. It always pays to completely check that everything is functioning as it should be with any new install and before any trip.

Fixed that and it was charging like a train. Calum & Hayden at Redarc were extraordinary in their product knowledge, patience and used layman's terms which I easily understood. So glad I brought REDARC.

I have an MPPT regulator that is connected 24/7 to my aux batteries with the redarc dcdc and no problems for the last 4 years..

Redarc are known for excellent back-up service...no question is too hard for them.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Hazpet View Post
          I've had a Redarc BCDEC1225-LV charger in my Pajero for the past five years. I decided this week to get the relay fitted so I could connect solar to it. Took it to a auto electrician for what I thought should be a pretty straight forward job. Took the car home, parked it in the sun. Ten minutes I hear the battery monitor going berserk. The start battery was charging at 15.6 volts. Took it back, very apologetic, picked up the wrong wire, all good now. At home parked it in the sun again 10 minutes later battery monitor going berserk again, charging the auxiliary battery at 15.6 volts. So I made my first call to Redarc Tech Support. Spoke to Calum who said it was not possible for the charger to output 15.6V on solar. Suggested that the solar was somehow bypassing the charger. ..Back I go again, auto leckie has another go, all good now, get home, in the sun, 13.2V, I know the battery is not fully charged and should be on absorption. ..So I demolished the front of the car & pulled the charger out to look at the wiring. He's got the brown wire going to terminal 87 on the relay, now I'm no genius but I can follow a simple wiring diagram and it"s plainly wrong to me.. So I ring Hayden at Redarc who confirms it's wrong & to tell him to wire it to diagram RK1260 on their web site. I printed it off & back I went, demanded he wire the relay as per the diagram...He did, home, in the sun still only 13.2V. Spoke to Hayden again who talked me through a series of tests with a multimeter one of which was the panel output(22.6v) because the charger need 17V to activate the solar. All could think of was the relay must be faulty and to try a new one. Thinking of the 17V he mentioned I decided to check the voltage on the charger side of the anderson plug.. Would you believe 11V not enough to kick in the charger. Straight away I thought a another cockup by the auto leckie, but no it was me, on the panel side of the anderson plug the neg terminal hadn't locked in and when joining the plugs the neg terminal was pushing back and not making proper contact. Fixed that and it was charging like a train. Calum & Hayden at Redarc were extraordinary in their product knowledge, patience and used layman's terms which I easily understood. So glad I brought REDARC.
          This is A story of service that seems to get repeated quite A bit about Redarc
          Bit old fashion really
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X