• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETERPJERO1
    • Nov 2014
    • arno bay

Results of overloading nt roof rails

These are the problems on my NT caused most likely by myself for overloading the factory roof rails.
    1.Cracks in roof around the centre rail mounts on both sides.
    2.Sideways movement or rocking of rail mounts which causes the paint to wear under the mounts resulting in rust under all mounts.
    3.Water leaks through the mounting bolts to the interior which also causes rust. The unpainted metal grab handle & other unpainted mounts are all rusting. Also signs of minor rust on some panel joins. The hood lining has rust stains under grab handles. NB There was no evidence noticable of water leak until I removed the hood lining.

Hopefully this information will help others from damaging their vehicle. I am an ex mechanic and should have known better.
    Save
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and thanks for posting about your experience.

Can you give some indication of the load you were carrying, to help others estimate how their loads compare?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• PETERPJERO1
      • Nov 2014
      • arno bay

re Results of overloading nt roof rails

The total weight including cage etc was about 80 to 100kg on 95% good roads. Photos show rusting bracket under hood lining and crack in mount.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_103408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	979908

Name:	rust.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	979909
      Last edited by PETERPJERO1; 02-04-17, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Peterng
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Northern Rivers NSW

The weight was about 80 to 100kg on 95% good roads.

Question: Was that weight you mentioned above, the gross weight including the basket and auxiliary fittings or the net weight of the goods that were put into the basket?

Comment

• ticky
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

A lesson for all of us, thanks for sharing.

I havent used my racks much as when I go away, I usually take the van, but I do throw a few long bits of timber up there from time to time.

Steve
          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• cheezel
            • Aug 2018
            • Victoria

Nw pajero, 2014. I'm 2nd owner. Installing pioneer trackmount system today (wip).
            Glad I pulled off the factory rails, thought they felt as though they had a little play in them.
            It's a mess... not visible/obvious when factory rails on. Rust at every fixing point, cracking on driver side centre mount, all sanded out and cold galvanised now.
            I've never had anything on the roof etc *grumble* [emoji107]

Also, plenty of muck caught up under factory infill strip thing.

Just a fyi.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_154008.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	983728Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_155248.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	983729Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_152028.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	983730Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_152733.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	983731Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_142543.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	983732

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Axis
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Highett Vic

Wow Cheezel - wonder what my creaky rails on the 2007 NS are like underneath. Really need to look at mine. I did 21k kms on a half lap 3 years ago with a full spare on the roof including the Gibb and Mitchell Falls

What are you putting on instead? I have been thinking for a long time that I'll put the Rhino Track Mount on.

Cheers,
              James
              07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• cheezel
                • Aug 2018
                • Victoria

Originally posted by Axis View Post

What are you putting on instead? I have been thinking for a long time that I'll put the Rhino Track Mount on.
                Hey James,
                Yep rhino pioneer platform with trackmount system.
                I've a thread in the 4-3 section [emoji846]
                - rails are in and seem very solid.

I'd reccomend checking yours, roof lining removal took me under 2hrs (2.5 total to remove lining and factory rails).
                - you could always pull it to bits, clean and check it then reassemble, will probably break some plastic clips tho... or if no water ingress/damage just tighten it up..?

Looking through my photos, it's obvious (on inspection) to see rhs passenger grab mount is rusty and so is rhs rear grab mount. Peter (OP has same issue..)
                - water ingress is 100% not visible internally but running from centre to rear.
                - I'll sand and treat that too..

Cheers,

Name:	20180922_145939.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	983738

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by cheezel View Post
                  Hey James,
                  Yep rhino pioneer platform with trackmount system.
                  I've a thread in the 4-3 section [emoji846]
                  - rails are in and seem very solid.

I'd reccomend checking yours, roof lining removal took me under 2hrs (2.5 total to remove lining and factory rails).
                  - you could always pull it to bits, clean and check it then reassemble, will probably break some plastic clips tho... or if no water ingress/damage just tighten it up..?

Looking through my photos, it's obvious (on inspection) to see rhs passenger grab mount is rusty and so is rhs rear grab mount. Peter (OP has same issue..)
                  - water ingress is 100% not visible internally but running from centre to rear.
                  - I'll sand and treat that too..

Cheers,

[ATTACH]40443[/ATTACH]

Isn't it nice to know that when you pay $50,000 for a brand new vehicle your getting a quality product.......
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

I was toying with the idea of putting a rack on the existing rails my NT Paj had..but reality set in and with the weight I was going to carry..80kgs and the gravel roads I was going to drive over...well, I bit the bullet and opted for an aluminium ARB roof rack with the fitting stands. The reason for Alloy, ARB do not recommend a steely for a Paj or Prado.
                    I had the Drift roof rack bag loaded up quiet well, with about 85kg of 2 Bunker beds, 2 backpacks, 1 ground sheet, 2 camp chairs, 1 potable kitchen and camp table and the bag and roof rack worked well whole trip.
                    The alloy is lighter by about 10kg in the rack structure and about 3kg in the stands/brackets..so that gives you an extra 13kg, give or take, plus they do not rust out when chipped, unlike steel in many cases.
                    It wasn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but after 4 months on the road..it has worked out well. Now to get some accessories for loading the kayaks on..
                    Last edited by Peterng; 24-09-18, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• cheezel
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Victoria

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
                      I was toying with the idea of putting a rack on the existing rails my NT Paj had..but reality set in and with the weight I was going to carry..80kgs and the gravel roads I was going to drive over...well, I bit the bullet and opted for an aluminium ARB roof rack with the fitting stands..
                      Hope it's working well. I bought the rhino pioneer trackmount system, it's also alloy.

Interestingly, its rated for 100kgs on the hard top and 66kgs off road.
                      - it states that adding more bars does not change this rating (it comes with 3 bars for the LWB).
                      - It's probably common knowledge, but I must admit I had no idea...

Based on the 75kg max loading for the factory rails, applying the rhino rule of thumb and its 50kgs max if touring/off road with factory rails...?

Cheers,

Name:	20180924_210017.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	983746Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_205943.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	983747

Comment

• Axis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Highett Vic

Thanks for all the info Cheezel.

I was looking at the 2 bar set up. Looks like I will need a free weekend with no rain!!!
                        07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• insect_eater
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Canberra

I apply the Rhino 2/3 guideline for off bitumen usage to the entire roof load.

So the Pajero is rated to 100kg for roof loading, which means 66kg off bitumen.

My Rhino platform (on rhino roof track mounts) weighs 22kg, which leaves 44kg for load on top of the platform.

For me this is an Oztent, maxtrax and sleeping gear.
                          NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X