Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 16-08-18

Default SSB Batteries - any good?

I am looking into a new starter battery and deep cycle battery under the hood for my dual setup.

Has anyone had any experience with SSB as a battery option?

I was looking into Century and Optima, but keen to give the SSB a look.

Cheers Paul.
Old 16-08-18
Valued Member

I had an SSB stop/start agm 80amp/hr under the bonnet. At 18 months it shit itself. I had bought it online from Adelaide. I,m in Cairns. Raced out and bought a century lead acid straight away. Next day I went to my local SSB dealer and upon producing my receipt for my original SSB he gave me a new battery (same as the crook one). I was very impressed as I expected a shit fight. I had already installed the century so I kept it and sold the SSB . i HAVE 2 X ssb AGM,S in my 3rd seat compartment and both are 2 years old. Still performing very well and I believe they are a good battery with a great warranty.
Old 17-08-18

I havenít owned one but from what dicko has said about the warranty that is a big win in my eyes. If theyíre happy to replace no questions asked it means theyíve got confidence in their product.
Old 17-08-18

Had a lithium one in one of my bikes, was awesome. Sold the bike 12 months after I put it in.

Old 17-08-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amok View Post
Had a lithium one in one of my bikes, was awesome. Sold the bike 12 months after I put it in.

My SSB lithium in the harley is at least 3 times stronger than the original and at 3 years of age is still going like a champion. Edit....just checked..battery is 4 years and 3 months old..
Old 17-08-18

Thanks all. The fact they offer a straight up 36 month warranty does provide reassurance.

Cheers.
Old 18-08-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul (SA) View Post
Thanks all. The fact they offer a straight up 36 month warranty does provide reassurance.

Cheers.

Just a word of warning, they won't cover it if they can blame overcharging. They denied my claim on a 2 1/2 year old AGM (rated by them for under bonnet use, that is why I bought it), as it swelled and failed.

Most likely would not have been an issue in the back, but I was dissapointed that they rated it for under bonnet use, and then wouldn't honor it.

Replacement is a North Star, expensive, but is supposed to be a tougher battery.... Hoping so....
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 MT51s, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, torque converter lockup, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
Old 18-08-18

I bought a deep cycle from them recently, happy so far and delivered in 2 days. Just keep in mind you need to change the wiring if using a redarc charger as I went from a lead acid to a calcium type battery.

I am not sure the AGM has a 3yr warranty if used underbonnet, from memory just 1yr. For use in say a caravan then 3yrs yes. I can’t find where I read it but that’s what swayed me for a normal deep cycle. I guess the post above about the warranty claim being refused confirms that this is somewhere in the t & c’s.
Old 19-08-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauno View Post
I bought a deep cycle from them recently, happy so far and delivered in 2 days. Just keep in mind you need to change the wiring if using a redarc charger as I went from a lead acid to a calcium type battery.

I am not sure the AGM has a 3yr warranty if used underbonnet, from memory just 1yr. For use in say a caravan then 3yrs yes. I canít find where I read it but thatís what swayed me for a normal deep cycle. I guess the post above about the warranty claim being refused confirms that this is somewhere in the t & cís.

42 MONTHS for the SSB stop/start agm that is used under the bonnet. That,s why mine was happily replaced after 18 months..no questions asked.
Old 19-08-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
My SSB lithium in the harley is at least 3 times stronger than the original and at 3 years of age is still going like a champion. Edit....just checked..battery is 4 years and 3 months old..
That's very good for a lithium battery. They're known to have short shelf lives.