• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

MCC bull bar

Decided to purchase an MCC 707-02 bull bar for my NS and fit myself. Purchsed through on line seller and freighted to my house for around $1500.

Bad points first. There were a couple of washers missing in the pack and no pinch weld to finish off the cut bumper. Also, in cutting the bumper there is no template just a couple of pics with measuements on. Would rather a template as it took a bit of extra cutting and a couple of attempts to get right. Finally although the instructions were good they were photocopies and quite faded in parts and hard to read. I have addressed these issues with the seller who states he will rectify.

The bar appears well made and I was happy the side lights and indicators are led that come with long leads, making it easy to connect to original wiring using splice connectors behind each headlamp. They provide a template to drill holes on each side into the end of the chassis rails which were acurate. Comes with bolts, nylock nuts etc. Was a bit fiddly but taking my time all went pretty ok.

Happy with the result but had to go to Clark Rubber for some pinch weld to finsh off the bumper. You do lose the headlamp washer if fitted but I am thinking of putting them back on when I get chance but will require different washer nozzles......something ill look at in due course.

WARNING. I also purchased the Stedi Summit fog/drl lights as they state they will fit MzcC bars with the 125mm fog lights. MCC have recently changed the fog light design and thus the Stedi Summit lights dont fit exactly......the light lugs do not fit into the holes in the fog light plastic surround on the bar. Stedi are now aware of this issue. I did managed to make the Stedi lights fit with some rubber grommets but will look at this furture to make a more secure mounting.

Regarding the Stedi lights, happy with the design and quality. The DRL's in my opinion are not bright enough.

Any questions please ask and have included a couple of pics below.
    Attached Files
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

is this one winch compatible ?

How many mounting points are we looking at where it fixes to the vehicle?

Did you look at any other bars as options before going with this one ?

cheers Brett

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Hi Brett, in answer to your questions.

Yep fully winch compatible with no need for a tray. Winch bolts straight onto bullbar, has bolt holes for standard winches and fairleads. That will be my next purchase.

Mountings points. There are basically 4 each side chassis to mounting plates. One long bolt (M10) that goes right through the chassis rails each side holding the mounting plates, then 3 other M10 bolts on each side all with nylock nuts. Then 4 M12 bolts nuts from mounting plates onto bullbar.

I did look at and price up Arb Deluxe and TJM Outback bars from local dealers in Southern Tassie. Far more expensive than what I got the MCC for.

I try get some pics and post shortly mate.

Rob

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

First pic mouting plates bolts, well 3 of them on wheel arch side. Top bolt you can just see is the straight through one, bottom front and bottom rear come fixed(welded to a plate you squeeze in through a small hole at bottom of end of chassis and line up with and insert into the drilled holes. There is another bolt on the inside of the rail but can't really get a pic without taking off grill and looking down.

Second pic is back of bar where winch mounts.
        Attached Files

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

all good mate, thanks so much for the response and the pics.
          Keep us posted when you throw the winch in.
          I'd be interested to see how it turns out.
          Any ideas yet what you will be puting in ?

cheers Brett

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Not sure yet, have to do a bit of research before I decide.

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• BishiMitsu
              • Feb 2018
              • EastBurbsMelbourne

Hi aussieintas,
              Cheers for your pics.
              I too have just purchased this exact bar (707-02) for my NM, to replace the factory MM alloy one.
              I purchased it without their 'underbody protection', as I was fairly confident that the factory bash plates etc would do the job. They (mcc), (or rather, the Salesman) tried the hardsell stating I'd definitely need them, but judging from your pics I see that your factory bash plates will still serve their intended purpose.
              I also ordered the foglights, so cheers for the 'heads up' about the fitment.....
              Like yourself, the next chapter will be Winch research.

The bar is supposed to arrive this morning, so hopefully it comes with everything needed, and it proves to be a reasonably straight forward fit.

Cheers again,
              Mark.

Comment

• BishiMitsu
                • Feb 2018
                • EastBurbsMelbourne

Bar arrived, all good. They are certainly well wrapped! Took ages to unwrap it.
                Looking like I'll need to invest in another piece of kit that bolts between the two "Chassis Rails", if I want to mount a Winch to the bar. (Similar to a 100 series)
                There is no way on earth I'd be Winching using it's current mounting method!

I'll be bringing it to their attention too, as it's not specifically mentioned in the "Instructions", and it bloomin well should be, if someone was to just 'bung' a Winch into this bar (I'm talking NM-NP) and start 'going for it', then serious injury will occur. Both to car and anyone nearby......possibly even the poor Tree that's helping you at the time.
                The Instructions imply the Winch can be bolted straight in, and used as is. No way.

I haven't finished my install today, as I ran out of time, but if anyone is interested in fitting one of these bars to their NM-NP, I have taken many pictures during my install if anyone needs them for a bit of extra info........

The bar itself is of excellent Quality, no issues there at all. Very happy with it.

Cheers,
                Mark.

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Hi Mark

I did get mine with the underbody plates and initially fitted them. They hang very low and wasn't happy so took them off. Will look at possibly altering them so they are a better fit when i get chance.

Re a winch. I haven't had a real good look on mine since i fitted it but may strengthen it somehow....depends

Agree with the packaging, very good and took me an age to unwrap.

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• rgrubby
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by BishiMitsu View Post
                    Bar arrived, all good. They are certainly well wrapped! Took ages to unwrap it.
                    Looking like I'll need to invest in another piece of kit that bolts between the two "Chassis Rails", if I want to mount a Winch to the bar. (Similar to a 100 series)
                    There is no way on earth I'd be Winching using it's current mounting method!

I'll be bringing it to their attention too, as it's not specifically mentioned in the "Instructions", and it bloomin well should be, if someone was to just 'bung' a Winch into this bar (I'm talking NM-NP) and start 'going for it', then serious injury will occur. Both to car and anyone nearby......possibly even the poor Tree that's helping you at the time.
                    The Instructions imply the Winch can be bolted straight in, and used as is. No way.

I haven't finished my install today, as I ran out of time, but if anyone is interested in fitting one of these bars to their NM-NP, I have taken many pictures during my install if anyone needs them for a bit of extra info........

The bar itself is of excellent Quality, no issues there at all. Very happy with it.

Cheers,
                    Mark.

What's wrong with the winch mount on the bar? Does it not look strong enough?
                    Did you mount a winch in the end?

I'm considering one of these myself and would like to know as much about them as I can first
                    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Poita
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Adelaide

Do you still loose the front recovery points on the NM/NP?
                      NW VRX MY2013
                      Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• aussieintas
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Sorell, Tasmania

Just had a pm from someone asking about this bar so thought I'd do an update since its been nearly 18 months since fitting.

Still very happy with the bar hasn't moved at all since fitting, but I do check bolts every 6 months or so and good to date. I haven't fitted a winch yet but she's clunked a bit of wildlife with no issues.

For the price and relative ease of fitment I'm extremely happy.

If you need any other info I can assist with please ask.

Previously
                        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• mahonam
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Canberra

Hi Rob,

How did you go with the underbody plates? Does the bar look fine after plates taken off? It would be great if you can post a photo from underneath.
                          And is it hard to fit the Stedi Summit fog light kit in?
                          I am probably going to buy one, but just not sure how MCC is compared to ARB. ARB quotes just about $200 more than MCC here in Canberra.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
                          Haonan
                          Pajero NW MY14 VR-X
                          Many dents from a hailstorm, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus, Auxiliary Tank, Dual Battery, MM Nudge bar

Comment

• aussieintas
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sorell, Tasmania

Re the plates. I purchased some 4mm steel plate from Bunnings from memory and used the ones supplied as a template to cut flat plate for each side including the bolt holes. Then painted black and fitted using supplied bolts. Has worked weell with no issues. I'll get a pic tomorrow in daylight. As said the supplied ones hang down around 75mm from the bullbar so thought it could catch in stuff and also looked crap in my opinion.

Quite easy to fit the Summit fog lights, not much too it. As i stated before the design had changed when i purchased mine, not sure if things have changed.

I can't really compare strengths of the different bars but I'm hapoy with the MCC bar, i don't do off roading anymore so it is for animal protection. Hit a few with no issues.

I'll post pic tomorrow bud.

Previously
                            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• mahonam
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Canberra

Thanks bud, your method of replacing underbody plates is really impressive.
                              Do you think it’s alright to remove the underbody plates only, without putting new ones on? The bar supplier said, it will be ugly and unprotected from stones hitting underneath without those plates.
                              If it’s true, I probably will ask if a local metal shop can cut that for me, as I have zero knowledge/skill about these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Pajero NW MY14 VR-X
                              Many dents from a hailstorm, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus, Auxiliary Tank, Dual Battery, MM Nudge bar

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X