• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • criby1
    • Sep 2011
    • victoria

transfer box nm 2001 leaking oil

2001 Exceed automatic / transfer box Could some one please tell if the transfer box would have a breather ,,
    My transfer box is very wet with oil and hard to tell were the oil is coming from suspect front output seal
    When we went to check the oil level yesterday while the box was warm when removing the bung it was under pressure and hissed at us should that do that and could it be the cause of the oil leaks TIA
    Attached Files
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Yes, there is a breather. You will find it plumbed along the top of the transmission to just above the bellhousing. You can just see / feel it if you peer down behind the engine block. You should also feel the line along the top of the xfer case. It is a thin metal tube with a rubber vent cap. The manual has the trans and xfer breathers joined, I think the autos are separate.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• criby1
      • Sep 2011
      • victoria

Could some one please tell if the hose with the clip moved is part of the breathing system for the transfer box TIA

Comment

• criby1
        • Sep 2011
        • victoria

This a picture of the right hand side of the transfer box looking up IMO it looks like oil is flowing from the top of T/B down the side of the box
        Any ones thoughts please TIA

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Considering that the transfer hissed at you whilst you pulled out the filler plug, there is obviously a build up of pressure in there. The breather must be blocked and the pressure will be pushing oil out past the seals.
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Cairns

Originally posted by criby1 View Post
            Could some one please tell if the hose with the clip moved is part of the breathing system for the transfer box TIA

No, this is just a breather / drain for the transfer actuator motor itself.
            Pat has given you direction on where to find the breathers.
            Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• criby1
              • Sep 2011
              • victoria

ok took this hose of and hit with compressed air and yes the breather has rock solid blockage ,, it filled the transfer case up with air so the blockage has to be at the tee piece forward ,, HOW would u guy's proceed from here as there is no way in hell you can get at the top of the box to try and sort it,, TIA
              Attached Files

Comment

• RUGGA
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2014
                • Adelaide

Hi, while I have not done this, I read that when access to top of gear box is needed (ie solenoids), you can remove the gear box cross member and drop the rear of the box a little to gain SOME access...... However cause your issue may be more front located, iam not sure.

Search Gen 3 section, gear box, orange flash of death, gear box solenoids etc and read.
                02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• criby1
                  • Sep 2011
                  • victoria

Thanks so far guys ..But im still stumped
                  I can find no breathers on the belling housing and i can not feel a steel breath pipe that is shown in drawings ,, i can feel a small rubber hose but stops about half way along the auto and feels like its going into some thing but cant quite feel what it is
                  I tried using a Borescope Endoscope up there but could not get it to focus up there ,,
                  If any one has defiant location for the transfer box breather i would be very grateful even some pictures drawings showing this

My next step is to drop the back of the box as much as i can do and see how that goes
                  But due to health issues this wont be easy for me ,,
                  The steel pipe in the drawings and with the breather is not there ??
                  Attached Files

Comment

• criby1
                    • Sep 2011
                    • victoria

Well i found the breather no were near were everyone including Mitsubishi told were it was it was located on the top of the auto transmission on the right had side roughly in line with the front of the auto pan ..After biting the bullet i removed the cross member and removed the earth strap and lowered the box down enough to get my camera phone up there and went mad taking shots and located it .. and found the housing that held the 2 breather's hoses auto & transfer had been bent at some time in its life and put to bad kinks in both hoses as picture will show .. Now i will extend both breathers up into the engine bay .. Thanks to those that helped along the way ..
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Easykill1978
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Melbourne Vic

bookmarked thanks..

i have a 4 house breather kit to install
                      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Kaldek
                        • May 2017
                        • Melbourne

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since someone posted on this topic, but I have had my own experience with this. My manual NH 3.0 Pajero had an almost totally wet transfer case all over, including on the top of the case.

I theorised that maybe the issue was the breather being blocked as per some previous posts, but what it turned out to be in my case was leaking seals under the gearshift and 4WD shifter. As the gears in the transfer case spin, they fling oil up to the under-side of the shifters. Oil leaked out from the seals and slowly covered the top of the case, then the sides, and then the underside.

I went 100% on the cleanup and re-sealing of the shifters, using silicone gasket maker on both sides of the paper gaskets to better seal it up, and replacing the various boots and seals.

There are a few parts you might need if they are degraded:

Shift lever "cover" - these are rubber domes that are the primary method of stopping oil shooting up into the gear leaver assemblies: MD739289 (and you need one for each lever)

Inner rubber boot for the shift lever - this is a lock-wire secured rubber boot that ensures that dust is kept out of the transfer case/gearbox and oil is kept in: MR567088.

Inner rubber boot for the 4WD lever - as above, but different code: MR567087.

Note that the inner rubber boots - known as "Cap, T/F GEARSHIFT LEVER" and "COVER, M/T GEARSHIFT LEVER SPRING" (no, it's not a spring it's a boot) are replacement parts for the original part codes which are no longer available.

Comment

• Kaldek
                          • May 2017
                          • Melbourne

By the way if you have a manual 2nd generation pajero the breather is located just forward of the shift levers on top of the transfer case/gearbox. You can access it by removing the centre console and shift lever dust cover.

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Interesting. I was looking at the top of mine last night-seems very oil covered. I hoped it was engine oil, as this engine has leaked massive amounts of oil prior to me owning it, but I strongly suspect it isn't engine oil. About to put new motor in, so I'll look into this after it is running......so I can wash it all of first (so dirty, shocking amounts of engine oil and mud stuck under that. Even rocks jammed into brackets etc!)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X