• Oct 2010
    • Capetown

No gear selection in any gear / Clutch stuck

Last edited by DAUMULLER; 29-03-21, 07:18 PM. Reason: *
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Yep, had it happen a few times in my gen3. Seems the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel once it gets wet. I got around it by starting it in gear. The jolt seems to separate the clutch from the flywheel.

First time for me was on the Gibb River road. Nice place to be stranded in gear.....not!
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Yeah, the problem is the water but it can be caused by moisture from another source. When my vehicle was relatively new, I went to start it one afternoon and the clutch was stuck as you describe. I hadn’t been through any deep water, however it turned out the drain from the air conditioner was leaking down onto the bell-housing and saturating the clutch. Mitsubishi did a recall because of this problem and merely put a extra piece of plastic pipe on the drain.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• DID Dash
        • Aug 2016
        • Australia

Yep, seems common, had it happen 2 or 3 times in my NM 2.8. A/C drain pipe identified as the source. Only thing that ever caused me concern with that old girl. Great old bus, not fast, but reliable and economical.
        17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Axis
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Highett Vic

Haven't had this happen but thanks for the heads up - now I'll know what's going on if it happens. Where does water get in? I have previously wondered if it is worth putting a bead of silicon around the inspection hole cover as it is pretty loose.
          07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by Axis View Post
            Haven't had this happen but thanks for the heads up - now I'll know what's going on if it happens. Where does water get in? I have previously wondered if it is worth putting a bead of silicon around the inspection hole cover as it is pretty loose.
            The main problem with sealing things is that you generally are not that successful, but then you severely restrict the ability of water already in there to get out. I wouldn't bother myself.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Seigried
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2016
              • brisbane

I had a similar issue years ago with a suzuki sierra. Mud and water would get into the bell housing if your inspection cover came off. It left you only able to select gears with the motor off! Luckily i was able to get it going in 3rd to get back to brisbane. The fix was to put a hose into the bell housing via the inspection hole and leave it with the engine running for an hour. Check repeat until enough mud etc. Had come out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X