• Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    My comments in blue textbelow;

Find a tyre that suits your needs and realistic expectations. All tyre's will fail, just some will fail more regularly and in milder conditions than others.

IF you spend $400 a tyre for 5 tyre's that is $2000, if they last 80,000km of trouble free use, that is only 2.5 cents per km travelled. Compared to the cost of 80,000km of diesel at $1.60 a litre and getting 10litres per 100km, every km cost you 16 cents!

Taking the gamble on lesser tyre's is playing Russian Roultte with your passengers and your life, the lives of other road users. Buying tyre's in rural and remote areas, you have limited choice and premium pricing so you can end up paying $400 for a tyre that would only cost $250 in the city.

Tyre's that are not fit for purpose will let you down and cost you more!

OJ.

Thanks OJ I appreciate your comments and experience. Would u consider the Toyo OPAT 2s a lower quality tyre? They seem to get good reviews and they’re still Japanese made by the looks of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
      Thanks OJ I appreciate your comments and experience. Would u consider the Toyo OPAT 2s a lower quality tyre? They seem to get good reviews and they’re still Japanese made by the looks of it.

The Toyo OPAT AT2 in a 10ply / E Load Index is a strong, good mid range tyre with a mild AT tread pattern. For touring on bitumen and good gravel/dirt, beach and milder off road they are much much better than the factory HT Passenger cronstruction tyres and stronger than the 8ply D Load index Bridgestone D697. The Toyos are on par with the Cooper AT3LT 10ply. They are not as tough as 10ply BFG ATKO2 but are better on wet bitumen and quieter. As soon as you go to a AT/MT hybrid, like Kumho MT51, Mickey Thompson AT3 P3 or Cooper ST Maxx you get a much tougher and durable tyre for heavy loads over rough tracks, but you do get more noise and less fuel economy.

It is all about what compromises you are prepared to make and limitations you are willing to accept.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dean
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post

Hey Heavypizzaz, I wouldn't consider Toyo Opats "lower quality", they are less expensive, that's all. From all the brands I've used my preference is BFG's. They've been around for ever and are an excellent tyre.
        When I bought the Opat's the BFG's weren't available in my size at the time, so I gave the Opat's a go. They have performed just as well as the BFG's in all conditions that I've had them in.
        Dean
        NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by dean View Post
          Hey Heavypizzaz, I wouldn't consider Toyo Opats "lower quality", they are less expensive, that's all. From all the brands I've used my preference is BFG's. They've been around for ever and are an excellent tyre.
          When I bought the Opat's the BFG's weren't available in my size at the time, so I gave the Opat's a go. They have performed just as well as the BFG's in all conditions that I've had them in.
          Dean

Thanks mate, I’ve looked at more options too such as Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Kumho MT51, Toyo Open Country R/T (not available in my size) and I keep coming back to the OPATs. The car’s my wife’s daily driver so I think the KO2s and more aggressive ATs will be slightly more noisy and the OPATs seem good value.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X