Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019

Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019 The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 06-03-19

Default Which bull-bar for Pajero Sport

Hello,

I am after some advice in regards to which bull-bar to fit on a new Pajero Sport.

Not sure if the factory bull bars are any good otherwise I had my eye on the ARB Pajero Sport bull bar.

Should I consider the factory Mitsubishi bull-bar? Anyone got one?

Has anyone fitted the ARB bull bar on the Pajero Sport? If you did, how much did you pay for it fitted, so I can start to shop around.

I do not want to fit a winch (at this stage), just want the frontal protection.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by jared01; 06-03-19 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-03-19
Valued Member

Pajero Sport has only got a front axle maximum load limit id 1260kgs (NW has 1320kg). so the Pajero Sport is the same as the Challenger and Triton, therefore if you fit an auxiliary battery, and steel bar, then load two 80kg people in the front seats then you at at or just over front axle limit, add a winch and you are definitely over the front axle limit. This is one of the reasons MMAL no longer offer winch bars or steel bars as genuine accessories.

That said, no one can tell me, with proof, what the limiting factor is, but I suspect it is the front coils not being able to retain a legal and effective ride height. There a 1000's of Triton's and Challenger's with 100,000kms to 300,000kms around, fitted with under bonnet aux batteries and steel bars with winches, that have had suspension upgrades and I am yet to read a report of front chassis failures or cracking. However you need to realise that there could be warranty or insurance issues if you need to claim and it is decided that the modifications caused or contributed ti the failure or incident.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 06-03-19
Valued Member

I am not sure how much an ARB steel bar for the PS would weigh, but I think that for some vehicles it is almost 80kg. If weight over the front axle is a concern, then a Smartbar might be an option. The non-winch-compatible Smartbar for the PS is 33kg, the winch compatible model is 42kg.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 06-03-19

Thanks for the feedback. I did not consider the front axle weight.

I do not plan on getting a winch or second battery.

Just need from bull bar and then mount CB radio aerial onto it.

will look further at the Mitsubishi options but still welcoming feedback.
Old 06-03-19

Hi Jared, I got the factory allow bar fitted and I must say it is a very neat installation. I suppose there are cheaper after market ones out there but the factory bar doesn’t require any bodywork cutting.

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Slide, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, home built tinny loader -More to come
Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186
Old 06-03-19

Hi Jared, I got the factory allow bar fitted and I must say it is a very neat installation. I suppose there are cheaper after market ones out there but the factory bar doesn’t require any bodywork cutting.

My CB aerial is mounted on it but unfortunately is a little off the vertical as the bar angles down slightly. Making the aerial vertical is on my list of things to do,but very low priority.

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Slide, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, home built tinny loader -More to come
Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Last edited by Greg Grey Grumbly; 06-03-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-03-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
Couple of notes. The factory alloy bar does require the center of the bumper to be cut away and in my opinion isn't the most attractive option (although I do have one). ECB do an alloy bar ,with and without winch mounts which is compatible with the electronics of the newer models. The best looking bar IMHO is the Ironman product.
Old 06-03-19

The question really come down to an alloy bar or a steel bar.

Steel bars are heavy and strong, but the problem is they are unyielding.
If you suffer an impact with a steel bar, most of the impact is transmitted to the vehicle chassis.
This can cause permanent distortion of the chassis which is impossible to correct.
From then on, correct wheel alignment is difficult or impossible to achieve, and drive shafts never run true. Handling can be compromised resulting in the vehicle not running straight (crabbing) on the road and tyre wear becomes uneven.

Alloy bars on the other hand are light, which is good for the front suspension, and will distort on impact, absorbing much of the energy of the crash without transmitting it to the chassis.
Sure the bar is a write off, but the vehicle can be driven home and still runs straight and true.
So you sacrifice the bar to protect the vehicle.
Old 06-03-19

I had the factory alloy one on my Challenger for all of the 5 years I owned it. Good quality, light weight, carried driving lights, antenna and sand flag without trouble. No need for front suspension upgrade. Understand the Pajero Sport one is made by the same mob in Queensland. I see one around my area with the black powder coat finish that I reckon would be worth a look. I am definitely in the ‘keep it light as possible’ frame of mind now and would not consider steel. Never hit a roo with my ally bar though. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-03-19

Thanks for raising good pros and cons of steel vs alloy bull bar.

The Mitsubishi genuine alloy bullbar looks OK, but the ARB one looks that bit nicer.

The ARB is steel which sounds like it may not be a good thing (so need to consider suspension and force of impact may transfer to the rest of the car)......Decisions decisions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (109.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (122.8 KB, 87 views)