Clear All
  • Iamkong
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Purchasing 2nd SWB Pajero this time a Diesel

Hi all
    as title says pretty self explanatory
    Looking at a 1988 NE SWB 2.5L TD 5 speed manual

i have previously owned a 1985 NB 2.6 Petrol 5 speed manual which i really enjoyed and still rate it as my favourite 4x4 i have ever owned

Done some research but thought id come and ask the experts
    What should i look for is there anything specific about the diesels i should keep an eye out for or just cover the usual like with a petrol

Cheers for any Advice
    R.I.P 85 NB Pajero SWB..."2 suspension lift...wildcat extractors..."2.5 exhaust...bonnet scoop...31's...H.I.D headlights upgrade
    aka Tiny Dancer
  • old dave
    • Nov 2010
    • Adelaide

Swb 2.5 tbd

I have owned one for 10 years now....its the best vehicle I have owned..and I absolutely love it.

Mine has 130,000kms on the clock now so nothing has worn out really.

I have had to replace a clutch early on as the rivets came loose on the plate,
    Injector distributor was overhauled as it started to leak when low sulphur diesel came on the scene..

Left rear calliper can stick on ...characteristic of model. Rear pads are unique to model.

Leaks about a tea cup of oil a year from the transfer chain case..
    Balance shaft belts don't last as long as cam belts... change belts on time.
    They have a lot of power if you need it.... driven gently they get amazing fuel economy.
    About the only thing I have changed from standard is remove the air intake from the factory position from inside the drivers side wheel well..where it was sucking up heaps of dust on outback roads..

Good luck, hope you find one..
    12/88 NF SWB Turbo Diesel
    7/89 NG Super Exceed V6

Comment

• Iamkong
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

Cheers for the info
      im looking at one on Thursday
      Done 185,000kms looks pretty standard blokes owned it a year no service history when he bought it but has receipts for the servicing he has done
      looks tidy and well looked after hopefully it is the one
      R.I.P 85 NB Pajero SWB..."2 suspension lift...wildcat extractors..."2.5 exhaust...bonnet scoop...31's...H.I.D headlights upgrade
      aka Tiny Dancer

Comment

• old dave
        • Nov 2010
        • Adelaide

It's great that you can lay your hands on one in tidy condition..

They are rare here in SA... I have seen two others locally over the years

Check out the left rear brake disc... mine is RIP from sticking calliper but I haven't got around to replacing it....

Old dave
        12/88 NF SWB Turbo Diesel
        7/89 NG Super Exceed V6

Comment

• blackdragon
          • Apr 2014
          • tennant creek, NT

good luck in finding a nice one, but def worth getting, thou mines a NH, they are a bloody awesome 4x4.

interesting re the sticking caliper, might check mine out, had some brake noise from rear recently, then it disappeared, maybe was a little stuck at the time
          '91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,

Comment

• Jeffrey
            • Feb 2015
            • Pinjarra WA

Originally posted by Iamkong View Post
            Hi all
            as title says pretty self explanatory
            Looking at a 1988 NE SWB 2.5L TD 5 speed manual

i have previously owned a 1985 NB 2.6 Petrol 5 speed manual which i really enjoyed and still rate it as my favourite 4x4 i have ever owned

Done some research but thought id come and ask the experts
            What should i look for is there anything specific about the diesels i should keep an eye out for or just cover the usual like with a petrol

Cheers for any Advice
            Hi I own an NG diesel and the 2.5lt is a pig of an engine to work on.

Comment

• rthy
              • Mar 2015
              • Tullamarine

Id check -
              -shaft play in the turbo (assuming you are going for the turbo diesel), if turbo was replace, would be good to have receipts for warranty, etc...
              -check to see if the turbo is running more boost or has boost leaks (standard should be around 8-9psi, assuming a boost gauge is installed)
              -if fitted with pyro meter check the exhaust temps and if running rich - assuming its boosted, also would be nice to have a larger exhaust if boosted
              -the alternator is mounted fairly low on the 4d56, so if the paj in question has seen some action or gone off road, make sure the voltage output is ok (14.3 give or take)
              -diesel pump, leaks, rattles, vibrations, etc...

mines fitted with drum rear so don't think the sticking caliper would apply, however would like to upgrade one of these days, or not lol
              Last edited by rthy; 14-04-15, 12:25 PM. Reason: exhaust
              Mitsubishi Pajero NP Exceed V78W (Daily)
              Mitsubishi Pajero NG TURBOWAGON L149G (Sold)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X