• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 74HJLS
    • Mar 2011
    • Yeppoon Qld

Provent Catch Can

Has anyone hooked up the drain from their Provent to their sump? If so where and does it have any effect on the provent functionality.
    Cheers,
    Pete..

White 09 NT DI-D Auto GLS, MM Tow bar, Light Force 170s, Dual Batteries Ctek kit with Piranah tray, ARB Fridge, Uniden UH7760nb UHF Radio, Kenwood DNN9350BT head unit, Roo Systems Awning, Smart Bar, Mako TDS 9.5 winch, Bushskinz bash plates, Airtech Snorkel and HD Lovells/Bilstein 2" lift kit, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson STZs.
  • awill4wd
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Pakenham, Melbourne

Don't bother hooking up the drain. You get more condensate than actual oil and returning condensate back to the sump is not a good move.
    Regards Andrew.
    2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

• 74HJLS
      • Mar 2011
      • Yeppoon Qld

Ok,thanks.
      Cheers,
      Pete..

White 09 NT DI-D Auto GLS, MM Tow bar, Light Force 170s, Dual Batteries Ctek kit with Piranah tray, ARB Fridge, Uniden UH7760nb UHF Radio, Kenwood DNN9350BT head unit, Roo Systems Awning, Smart Bar, Mako TDS 9.5 winch, Bushskinz bash plates, Airtech Snorkel and HD Lovells/Bilstein 2" lift kit, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson STZs.

Comment

• jawk
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2009
        • Australia

I have a short length of tube and a tap, drain it into a plastic cup every service or so... even though its the same consistency as topping its no good for ice cream.

Comment

• Allan2
          • May 2013
          • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

I have a provent and have run a long length of tubing from the drail outlet down through the engine compartment. Have sealed the bottom of the tube with a bolt and hose clamp which is accessable near the oil filter but high enough not to caught up in anything. It has only been in place for about 5,ooo km and at this stage doesn't to have caught much since I changed to Neulon 5W 30 fully synthetic. When I was using MMA servicing there was oil virtually dripping out of the rubber hose that connects to the inlet manifold.
          Regards Allan.
          2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• markc
            • Oct 2007
            • Brisbane Sth East

provent can

I have my drain feeding into a small opaque sauce bottle, the spout works perfectly to attach to the silicone drain hose I'm using, it holds about 100ml and the level can be easily seen in case I need to drain between oil changes.

So far I've only had a catch can on for 3000klm and the amount of oil from the drain is bugger all.

I originally had a chip it can and after reading some negative feed back swapped it out for a genuine pro-vent unit. I measured everything up when I replaced it and there really was no significant difference that I could see, as a fitter and turner (in a earlier life) everything was measured within 0.1mm of each brand for all critical areas. The surface finish on the chip it one was a bit below the pro-vent can in a few areas that didn't matter.

On a positive side the filters in both brands were exactly the same size so the chip it filter can be replaced with a pro-vent one if needed

I'm using Havoline 5w40 fully synthetic which may help as full synthetics have a much lower level of volatiles to boil off than dino oils although the difference with most quality oils these days is probably next to nothing.

Looking at the smear of oil all through my inlet hoses etc and the info on carboned up inlet manifolds due to blow by mixing at the egr return I would not have a current diesel without one

Cheers Mark
            Last edited by markc; 11-03-14, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• PradoEater
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Oatley

Originally posted by markc View Post
              I have my drain feeding into a small opaque sauce bottle, the spout works perfectly to attach to the silicone drain hose I'm using, it holds about 100ml and the level can be easily seen in case I need to drain between oil changes.

So far I've only had a catch can on for 3000klm and the amount of oil from the drain is bugger all.

I originally had a chip it can and after reading some negative feed back swapped it out for a genuine pro-vent unit. I measured everything up when I replaced it and there really was no significant difference that I could see, as a fitter and turner (in a earlier life) everything was measured within 0.1mm of each brand for all critical areas. The surface finish on the chip it one was a bit below the pro-vent can in a few areas that didn't matter.

On a positive side the filters in both brands were exactly the same size so the chip it filter can be replaced with a pro-vent one if needed

I'm using Havoline 5w40 fully synthetic which may help as full synthetics have a much lower level of volatiles to boil off than dino oils although the difference with most quality oils these days is probably next to nothing.

Looking at the smear of oil all through my inlet hoses etc and the info on carboned up inlet manifolds due to blow by mixing at the egr return I would not have a current diesel without one

Cheers Mark
              Hi mark,
              diference between the two is on the long run im talking over 5000klm, actual provent filter went for 12oooklm where as the ''provent style'' started to spit oil from the top lid plus intake manifold has oil visible once hose removed from the butterfly whereas provent had no oil at all that I can see in the usual place, at the moment I have ''cought'' over 300ml in those 12oooklm.

is the provent buzzing??

cheers
              NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
              Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

• markc
                • Oct 2007
                • Brisbane Sth East

Hi Pajero Eater

In honesty I really didn't get to try both units for any extended time as the Chip It can was only used for about 2,000klm and then I changed to the Provent unit a couple of weeks ago.

Too early to compare oil collection, what I did notice with bot brands is that remove the can filter and the outlet hose at the inlet pipe connection. With the engine running there is visible engine bypass vapour exiting the out let hose. Put the can filter back in and there is absolutely no visible vapour, you can feel the bypass gasses flowing out but all visible vapour is captured in the can.

I did get buzzing on both cans from the lower out let valve, Chip It one was slightly worse.

God knows why they have these to stop flow if the inlet vacuum gets too high????? In the normal set up there is unrestricted flow between the rocker cover and inlet so the only thing that can set the inlet vacuum is the air filter restriction.

Too stop the buzzing (only at 1700 rpm with foot off the throttle) I increased the spring force on the lower valve. The upper relief valve which is critically import and in case the catch filter gets blocked is totally standard.

I will keep this thread updated with how things pan out over time :-)

Comment

• PradoEater
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Oatley

Agree on the vapor it's almost like a steam train might try and cook and egg there

PRADOeater
                  NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
                  Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X