• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 900canoes
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • FNQ

Challenger Water Storage

I'm in preparation for a trip over to the West and I would like to look at options and ideas for fixed 'on vehicle' water storage.
    At the moment the best I can come up with is a generic moulded plastic tank between the rear seats and the cargo barrier, or a custom stainless tank in the same space. I figure there is space for up to 70 litres with the right sizing but may involve a custom job..

All comments good or bad welcome.

This supplier has an assortment of tanks, has anyone used similar?
    Attached Files
    2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.
  • BigBloke65
    • Aug 2010
    • SA

I'm using a water bladder (70l) that I lay flat on the foot well. Use a bit of hose and a little tap and it's all good.
    PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Boab Tanks

When I designed my storage system I made the provision for 1 or 2 of the 48lt vertical cutout water tanks that Boab make, price was about $200 each so it is not cheap water storage. I prefer to have at least 2 or 3 individual water storage containers so I can separate water if the quality is marginal and it also reduces the risk of no water if the one large storage container has a leak, gets contaminated or goes off (untreated water in hot conditions).

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• cheesy
        • Mar 2012
        • Townsville

There's a heap of room above the spare for non-drinking water storage is you use 40mm PVC piping.

Comment

• stuartiross
          • Nov 2011
          • ACT

Originally posted by cheesy View Post
          There's a heap of room above the spare for non-drinking water storage is you use 40mm PVC piping.
          Cheesy do you have pictures of your setup?
          Stu Ross
          PB LS 2012, silver, manual, ARB deluxe bullbar, HR Towbar, Anderson plug, Neoprene seat covers, Uniden 7740, Lightforce 170's, Bushskinz complete set, Airtek snorkel, RedArc Brake Controller, Recovery Points, X20 Smittybilt winch, OME suspension

Blog : http://rossmob.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

• cheesy
            • Mar 2012
            • Townsville

Lol no I haven't done it yet, still toying with the idea myself.

Comment

• 900canoes
              Valued Member
              • May 2008
              • FNQ

Thank you for the tips, I might be able to form some sort of combination with 2 or 3 different types of storage.

Comment

• j3st3r
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2011
                • Mildura

A good old piece of 4" or 6" PVC pipe with a tap in one end and placed on the roof rack is a cheap and easy storage container also.
                PB MY12 LS Challenger, Auto, White.
                Window Tint, Hayman Reese Towpack, NudgeBar, BushSkinz Bash Plates, HID High Beam Kit, 28" LED Light Bar, Oricom UHF280, Maxxis 980 A/T, Lovells CRR-69 Springs, SPV EGR Mk3.1

Comment

• coljack
                  • Oct 2010
                  • Perth SOR

I used a Boab 50L taper universal water tank behind the cargo barrier, perfect fit & reasonable price.
                  Challenger PB Auto, Cool Silver, Cooper ST 265/70, Tint, Cargo barrier, Redarc Dual Battery, ORS rear drawers & fridge slide, Awning, Kaymar rear bar & twin wheel mount, ARB Bull Bar, 50L water tank, Avenger 9.5 winch, IPF Spots, 2 x Uniden UHF, front recovery points, OME suspension, Coil rite air bags in kevlar sleeves, 135L aux tank, bash plates x 3, Safari Snorkel, Rhino Sportz bars, Scangauge II, Engel, Inverter.

Comment

• 900canoes
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2008
                    • FNQ

j3st3r: Seen a few roof rack PVC pipes, but the higher C of G and lack of roof rack weight capacity has drawn me to the lower mounted storage plus there will be other stuff up there already.

coljack: That may be one way to go, I already have a storage box behind the barrier, but will have look at possible mods to the box to fit it in. I already looked at using that tank on the front of the barrier but the seats did not slide quite far enough forward unless fully folded.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Boab Tanks

If your cargo barrier is fitted so the rear seats can be back all the way, then you can slide the seat forward and fit at least 1 and possibly 2 of these tanks between the cargo barrier and the rear seat back (based on measurements and not actual fitting). Obviously some rear seat leg room will be lost.

This is the Boab tank I am talking about:

48 Litre Vertical Cut-Out Water Tank

New design to allow fitment to a wider range of vehicles, including even the smaller 4WD wagons and most dual cab utes.
                      The cut-outs fit over the wheel arch inside Wagons and also in the Tray of most Double Cab Utes. Uses mostly wasted space and being so thin the water sloshing noise is minimal.

Food grade Poly ensures no bad taste (remember to only fill using drinking water hose - not the garden hose!, otherwise the water will be tainted before it enters the tank.

Secure using ratchet or metal straps (not included)

Dimensions: 1295W x 600H x 75D mm
                      Cut-outs each side: 300H x 200W mm

Fittings: Screw cap filler, 1/2" BSPT brass outlet in recess.

Item No: WTP48V

cheers, old Jack.
                      Attached Files
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• 900canoes
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2008
                        • FNQ

The 48 litre vertical was originally my 1st choice but my cabin width dimensions are about 1275 across. Not sure if the tank will slot in at that point and I dont want to damage the trim. I could look at 'jacking' the base up a bit.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

You had me worried!

Canoe's, you had me worried with the "1275mm" cabin width, did I measure "wrong" I hoped not! so I went and did a physical measure.

Width of cabin (trim to trim) level with where seat belts exit trim 1350mm so 1295mm of Boab tank OK, width of trim 300mm lower 1280mm, short by 15mm so my intention was to check behind trim for clearance of seatbelt system and if there is enough room I was going to heat the trim up with a heat gun and mould both sides in 10 or 12 mm to get clearance, if I cant remould the trim then I will remould, or cut and shut the tank, or mount the tank/s higher.

Seat moves forwards 160mm and I only need 75mm for 1 tank or 150mm for 2 so thats OK and I can attach them to my rear storage system using a locating channel at the base and web straps at the top so they are easily removable when not required or to clean out.

I actually going to remove rear seat on long trips and build a storage box that bolts into the floor, to save on weight and keep things organised, safe and secure. Plan is to have no more than 40 or 50 kg on the roof and only sleeping gear and light clothes bags above window level.

Like you we are heading to the North & Northwest for June/July so I am finishing the PB setup ie; reviewing suspension, water, fuel and gear needed without going over GVM, a lot to do in the 12 weeks before we go.

cheers, old Jack.
                          Last edited by old Jack; 15-03-13, 07:28 AM. Reason: can for can't

Comment

• 900canoes
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2008
                            • FNQ

Jack: Sorry about that. Think I will be making a cardboard cutout to the tank dimensions to try first, my cabin width issue is at the slight bulge in the trim about level with the door catch and the widest part of the tank would come down to that point. Raising the tank up a bit is my plan if the fit is too tight. Boab state that there can be shrinkage in the tank capacity, so I guess that means the sizes listed would be absolute maximum.

Seems like you are a bit further ahead in prep for your trip, but I will be towing a camper. It can carry the things that I dont get around to getting set up in the vehicle this time.

Comment

• Grunta
                              • May 2011
                              • L

900 whats the main reason for the water

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X