Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 24-04-19

Question My First Lift Kit - Any Pointers?

As above... any pointers / pitfalls / pearls of wisdom?

Car is a 2011 SWB Pajero 3.8L with 2í TJM XGS Gold Series kit, all new camber and toe adjusters fitted... initial experience is good, on road its fine, maybe feels a little high in the stroke over uneven roads but itís the standard kit, not the HD one so maybe just need to get used to it. Off-road it is good, tested it at the weekend with a mixed overlanding and technical dayís driving, much better than stock.

I have lowered cars before up to 60mm (my first car and Euro Style Vauxhall Corsa ) and sold many suspension kits as a student working in the motor factors come accessory shop... relatively new to the off-road scene though (5yrs with Pajero, some dune bashing... mostly out on the bikes instead ) so looking for some pointers. OK with the basics of car suspension (mechanical engineer to trade) and got a good handle on two wheeled suspension on and off-road... 4x4 stuff still learning.

Alignment was set ok, steering not 100% but I think itís a toe and centering issue which can be tweaked out. Will verify this week. From the homework Iíve done, 2Ē lift on most cars is ok including independent suspension cars like the Pajero. There is ample adjustment in the adjusters to accommodate the changes.

Steering castor also not a real cause for concern at 2Ē lift I believe?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 24-04-19
Valued Member

Default My First Lift Kit - Any Pointers?

Deleted
Old 25-04-19

Que?
Old 29-04-19

Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-04-19
Valued Member

Default My First Lift Kit - Any Pointers?

Hey mate, I reckon perhaps if you make your question/s a little clearer then maybe youíre more likely to get a response. It looks like youíre fairly happy with the lift that youíve already done? However, having never had a lifted car in my life (hoping to change that with my NX in the next 2 years) Iím not the person who would be responding anyway so maybe Iím missing the obvious questions. This is along the lines of what I wrote earlier but deleted it after thinking twice coz I didnít want to come across as rude. Good luck mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I thought it read ok personally... in a nutshell... any common post lift pitfalls on Pajero, particularly Gen 4?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Never heard of anyone complaining about their lift. However 2inch is the max and even then I have read of a few who have had alignment issues as adjustment is near its maximum.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
I thought it read ok personally... in a nutshell... any common post lift pitfalls on Pajero, particularly Gen 4?
The Gen 4 Pajero is made with 2 different suspension heights, in Australia we have the high suspension that has vehicle ride heights of 503mm front and 533mm rear, when measured from centre of wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line.
The low suspension is fitted to Euro models and is about 20-30mm lower, this info is based on the limited coil spring information I have, I am yet to find any confirmed specifications.

Maximum lift height is restricted by maintaining enough downward suspension travel to keep the wheels on the ground under most driving conditions. If this is not done then you will frequently lift or unload a wheel whilst driving on and off road and this will cause unwanted activation of the ABS, ASC and TC systems resulting in the engine power being cut without warning.

Max safe/sensible ride height is about 535-545mm front and 560-575mm rear.

Seized suspension alignment adjusted is a common problem, which means a correct 4 wheel alignment can not be done after a suspension lift, this is critical as both front and rear alignments significantly effect the handling of the vehicle.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .