Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 3 Days Ago

Default Flappy noises behind dash?

Hi all Iím a newby to this forum. Just picked up a 2004 model Pajero Exceed second hand and all appears to be good apart from some strange noises coming from the behind the dash. Sounds like air operated valves opening and closing randomly and is present when the car is idling. My question is ďis this normal?Ē And if not any ideas? Oh and further to this the centre diff light comes on after about 15mins driving in 2WD but until then all appears normal with the 4WD system. If you stop the engine and restart it all goes fine for about 10 mins then it comes on again - Iím thinking this is a vac leak in the 4WD system but it may be related to the noises I am hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago

Hi Steve, I too have a similar intermittent occasional flapping, or as I call it, 'rattling' noise behind my dash which I first heard a couple of years ago. The noise was most noticable (when it did occur) with the ignition in the ON position, but engine not started.

I eventually discovered that the rattling noise could be stopped and retriggered by turning the vent position control knob off and back on to the second or third notch (can't remember exactly now).

An auto sparkie told me there are quite a few solenoids behind the dash on these Paj's and so I assume the rattle is from a dodgy solenoid associated with the vent control system.

I've never heard it when driving and the vent system still seems to work ok so I'm not concerned about chasing a fix at this stage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Bazooka
Old 1 Day Ago

Thanks Bazooka, I will be pulling out the heater controls soon to move them down to the lower partition to put in an updated dd head unit so I will investigate the heater system then and see what I can find and post the results. It doesnít affect any running or heater control so itís not major just curious as to what itís doing back there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago

I liked the double din idea too and was going to go down that route but I've had my hands deep in my pockets fixing other things on the Paj (and the caravan) over the past couple of years to keep the travelling dream alive. So far so good

I'll be keen to hear what you find back there with that noise..