Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 20-05-19

Oh well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Domin8r X. It was a bit cheaper this evening than it was early in the day. Will see how it goes.
Let us know which one you choose pronvit
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 21-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrubby View Post
Oh well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Domin8r X. It was a bit cheaper this evening than it was early in the day. Will see how it goes.
Let us know which one you choose pronvit
Typical, Super Cheap has the winch on sale 50% off. Oh well, Domin8r is ordered, hopefully I'll be happy with it
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 23-05-19

Quote:
Typical, Super Cheap has the winch on sale 50% off. Oh well, Domin8r is ordered, hopefully I'll be happy with it
So I've bought Ridge Ryder one. I know it's against what I said about it before, but I decided that a power-hungry competition winch (Runva Q version) is not what I really need to spend money on at the moment.

I've opened the gearbox, there was enough grease (I think), the gears look big and strong, wireless remote works without any noticeable delay. It could probably free spool easier, but I have nothing to compare to. Maybe I'll re-grease it just in case after watching some videos, maybe not.

So far, my main complaint is that the paint on it is crap, it's not a powder coat, so I've already scratched it easily trying to fit it in the car.

Now for the fitting. It's tight in there. Real tight. It does fit, i.e. no important parts are in the way, but I had to remove the horn(s) and other stuff there, and also need to cut a bit of the front metal piece that the front bumper is clipped to.

The clutch lever fits really nice though and is easily accessible, see photo.

I've not bolted it or wired in as I need to do all the cutting properly, maybe there will be other difficulties. So far the main problem will be where to place the solenoids box. Cables that connect it to the winch are way too short and not enough to place the box in all the places I could think of so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8346.jpg (89.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8348.jpg (61.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8349.jpg (92.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8351.jpg (121.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8354.jpg (106.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8356.jpg (86.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8358.jpg (124.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8362.jpg (164.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 23-05-19

I'm no expert on grease, but I wouldn't say it is overloaded to effect free spooling. Do you think a different type of grease might help?
What are you planning to do about your license plate? I was thinking of building something like this...
https://www.cascadia4x4.com/products...-in-usa-canada

My Domin8r X arrived today and the winch mount is in the country so looking forward to getting into it.
Old 23-05-19

Quote:
I'm no expert on grease, but I wouldn't say it is overloaded to effect free spooling. Do you think a different type of grease might help?
No idea, maybe it's all good. That's why I wanted to watch some videos on lubricating winches.

Quote:
I'm no expert on grease, but I wouldn't say it is overloaded to effect free What are you planning to do about your license plate? I was thinking of building something like this...
https://www.cascadia4x4.com/products...-in-usa-canada
That would be perfect, but I doubt it's legal here. Don't know yet, for now probably will leave it, two screws is not too hard to undo when needed. Or maybe will move higher or lower.

Quote:
My Domin8r X arrived today and the winch mount is in the country so looking forward to getting into it.
That was quick. Did it come from AU?

Btw, there was one thing I had to do to the mount. The part number 11 "plate with nut", I had to shorten the wide end of it a bit, otherwise it didn't fit. Spend some time trying to understand whether I was trying to put in in the right place or not. So when it doesn't fit where you think it should go just remember it probably just needs cutting too (which is actually strange since everything else fits perfectly, so let me know if you find a way without cutting).
Old 23-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
That would be perfect, but I doubt it's legal here. Don't know yet, for now probably will leave it, two screws is not too hard to undo when needed. Or maybe will move higher or lower.
Not sure why, as I understand it "Plates must be in an upright position to display clearly every letter, figure and distinguishing mark" (from a google). As long as its down while on the road it should be fine. I might ask around about that first.

Quote:
That was quick. Did it come from AU?
Yes I ordered it Monday, it was sent Tuesday, arrived today, very happy with that from across the ditch

Quote:

Btw, there was one thing I had to do to the mount. The part number 11 "plate with nut", I had to shorten the wide end of it a bit, otherwise it didn't fit. Spend some time trying to understand whether I was trying to put in in the right place or not. So when it doesn't fit where you think it should go just remember it probably just needs cutting too (which is actually strange since everything else fits perfectly, so let me know if you find a way without cutting).
Thanks for that info, I'll remember that when I get to that point.
Old 23-05-19

Quote:
Not sure why, as I understand it "Plates must be in an upright position to display clearly every letter, figure and distinguishing mark" (from a google). As long as its down while on the road it should be fine. I might ask around about that first.
Maybe I remember it wrong or rules from some other country...

By the way, do people install isolator switches or have winch connected all the time? Domin8r comes with a switch (although not sure how good and easy to use it is), but mine doesn't have.
Old 23-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
By the way, do people install isolator switches or have winch connected all the time? Domin8r comes with a switch (although not sure how good and easy to use it is), but mine doesn't have.
There is are several good reasons for having an isolation switch under the bonnet.
It means that your winch is not "live" all the time so if you have an accident then there are not live wires, that are capable of carrying large currents, that could short out and start a fire in the event of the collision. Also many years ago there was a spate of incidents where some low life would unspool you winch cable, pass it over the roof of the vehicle and attach it to the towbar, engage the winch, then short the controller terminals out so the winch wound the cable in resulting in serious damage to the vehicle.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 24-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
There is are several good reasons for having an isolation switch under the bonnet.
Sure. Safety reasons sound obvious, but for some reason I don't remember hearing people talking about or using a switch in any relevant videos, but maybe I just didn't pay attention. Also if I need to open the bonnet, I can manually connect winch cable to a battery terminal with a wing nut (at least for now). I'm interested what people usually do from a usability point of view.

rgrubby, have you already thought where to place the solenoid box?

Last edited by pronvit; 24-05-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24-05-19

Quote:
Sure. Safety reasons sound obvious, but for some reason I don't remember hearing people talking about or using a switch in any relevant videos, but maybe I just didn't pay attention. Also if I need to open the bonnet, I can manually connect winch cable to a battery terminal with a wing nut (at lease for now). I'm interested what people usually do from a usability point of view.

rgrubby, have you already thought where to place the solenoid box?

From what I have seen, people usually have an isolator switch near the battery and turn it on when needed or expect it to be needed.
My mount just arrived so now I need to find time to pull the bumper off and fit it. Not sure on solenoid location, the cables on my winch aren't long either. I will probably just try and fit it somewhere out of the way and extend the controller socket to a more accessible spot.
When I start I'll post some photos on my build thread