• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pronvit
    • Mar 2019
    • New Zealand

Choosing my first winch

Basically I'm choosing between Domin8r and Runva EWX9500 - the ones I can easily get here.

Domin8r is 12000lbs, cheaper (although sadly not much after import taxes) and lighter, which is important for me (27kg).

But I though, maybe I should get EWX9500-Q - a version with lower gear ratio (110:1 vs 230:1 of the normal version and 218:1 of Domin8r). It's obviously just 9500lbs, a bit heavier (31kg), but should be more versatile - fast for easy situations, but if needed even with a snatch block will not become painfully slow.

Any thoughts? Also, anyone knows if I can trust Domin8r weight information - 27kg looks too light compared to most other winches.
    2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.
  • Poita
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Adelaide

Also check water ingress warranty and how itsbraking system works.
    I would personally get the Runva...
    NW VRX MY2013
    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• letsgoplaces
      • Jul 2014
      • Adelaide

There's a bit of reading here... https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php...max-etc.25959/

Out of those two, I would lean towards the Runva

Cheers

Comment

• pronvit
        • Mar 2019
        • New Zealand

Thanks.

One more thing. This faster Q version obviously uses more amps - 550 @9500lbs vs 380 for the non-Q version. Will it be a problem for our alternator and everything?
        2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

Comment

• aussieguy
          • Oct 2015
          • Brisbane

I OWN the following.

Kingone TDS-9.5H SR (I believe they are similar to Runva

Mounted on a D22 have used it a half dozen times in the past 18 months without issue.

Domin8r X

Mounted on a NL Esacpe for about a month, never used in anger just tests.

Both do the job, the Kingone comes with wireless remote but you can get a remote with the money you save, I got the Domin8r for $319, Kingone was part of a Bullbar, Lights and Winch combo so hard to say its true cost to me.

I brought the Domin8r because 2 mates have its predecessor Tigerz11 12,000lb, which if you aren't winching yourself everytime you go out seem to be reliable enough for standard rescue duties. I would suggest like I did with the Domin8R that if you buy one, pull it appart and regrease because quality might be hit miss, I thought there was plenty of grease in mine when I pulled it apart. Also don't forget to service your winch even if you don't use it, I usually check mine every 1-2 months to make sure it still works by dragging my mates trucks when we go camping, and check the seals and grease evry 12 months or after submerged in water.

If you go hard and need to rely on your winch, it will only be as good as the service you maintain on it.

Finally, alot of the hate on Domin8r is from people who payed $1000s for their name brand, which is probably better if you want to use it every day multipule times for longer than 30secs at a time. But both winches I own need a rest every 30secs for about a min. In summary if your in winch comps then neither winch is for you.
          05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
          02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• pronvit
            • Mar 2019
            • New Zealand

Honestly I'm not worried about any of the mentioned ones in terms of reliability as I don't expect frequent/hard use and even the cheap Domin8r isn't a typical "cheap Chinese winch" as I understand.

That's why I'm interested only in Q version of Runva - otherwise no point for me paying more for a heavier and less powerful unit. While I guess it's nice to have a faster one, right? Also should I worry about stock Pajero alternator with the power draw of the Q version?

Comment

• rgrubby
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2018
              • Wellington - NZ

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one of those ASFIR winch mounts, so I'm in the same "which winch" conundrum.
              After looking at the reviews on here, I'm considering a Ridge Ryder 12,000lb winch from Super Cheap, but I'd wait for a 50% sale.
              I'm also looking at the Runva ones, not sure on 11XP with lower current or EWX9500-Q with the faster speeds (at lower loads). The Ridge Ryder still outdoes them in most of those
              Last edited by rgrubby; 17-05-19, 08:45 PM. Reason: I got lots of details wrong!
              2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• pronvit
                • Mar 2019
                • New Zealand

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                After looking at the reviews on here, I'm considering a Ridge Ryder 12,000lb winch from Super Cheap, but I'd wait for a 50% sale.
                Don't know anything about it. Domin8r is at least featured on 4WDAction. What reviews have you seen?

Comment

• rgrubby
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2018
                  • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by pronvit View Post
                  Don't know anything about it. Domin8r is at least featured on 4WDAction. What reviews have you seen?

I used Google to search this site and found a few people with a 9500lb (or thereabouts) Ridge Ryder who spoke well of them. Also mentioned on other sites. It sounds like most winches, if you service them they last. I like the price (when on special) and the speed and current ratings.
                  I agree the Domin8r X looks like a solid winch too, I started looking into after you mentioned it. It does get a trashing on 4WDAction!
                  Now my winch plate is on the way I'm not sure I can wait until the next Supercheap sale, so might go with something else
                  2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• NJV6
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • New Zealand

I know a few people with the 9500-Q and no problems. They are a nice unit and the no load speed is brilliant.

So many winches are painfully slow that they end up using a lot of power as well.

Servicing and looking after a winch is far more important than the brand - also thinking like keeping connections clean and rust free, spring washers etc. Run the winch in and out and feel the connections for any that are warmer than others and clean them up.
                    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• rgrubby
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2018
                      • Wellington - NZ

Oh well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Domin8r X. It was a bit cheaper this evening than it was early in the day. Will see how it goes.
                      Let us know which one you choose pronvit

Comment

• rgrubby
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Wellington - NZ

Oh well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Domin8r X. It was a bit cheaper this evening than it was early in the day. Will see how it goes.
                        Let us know which one you choose pronvit
                        Typical, Super Cheap has the winch on sale 50% off. Oh well, Domin8r is ordered, hopefully I'll be happy with it

Comment

• pronvit
                          • Mar 2019
                          • New Zealand

Typical, Super Cheap has the winch on sale 50% off. Oh well, Domin8r is ordered, hopefully I'll be happy with it
                          So I've bought Ridge Ryder one. I know it's against what I said about it before, but I decided that a power-hungry competition winch (Runva Q version) is not what I really need to spend money on at the moment.

I've opened the gearbox, there was enough grease (I think), the gears look big and strong, wireless remote works without any noticeable delay. It could probably free spool easier, but I have nothing to compare to. Maybe I'll re-grease it just in case after watching some videos, maybe not.

So far, my main complaint is that the paint on it is crap, it's not a powder coat, so I've already scratched it easily trying to fit it in the car.

Now for the fitting. It's tight in there. Real tight. It does fit, i.e. no important parts are in the way, but I had to remove the horn(s) and other stuff there, and also need to cut a bit of the front metal piece that the front bumper is clipped to.

The clutch lever fits really nice though and is easily accessible, see photo.

I've not bolted it or wired in as I need to do all the cutting properly, maybe there will be other difficulties. So far the main problem will be where to place the solenoids box. Cables that connect it to the winch are way too short and not enough to place the box in all the places I could think of so far.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• rgrubby
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2018
                            • Wellington - NZ

I'm no expert on grease, but I wouldn't say it is overloaded to effect free spooling. Do you think a different type of grease might help?
                            What are you planning to do about your license plate? I was thinking of building something like this...
                            Maker of innovative products for off-road vehicles. Designed, tested, and built in Canada/USA. Creator of The Flipster Winch License Plate Mounting System and VSS Hood mounted solar panel systems for Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Etc.

My Domin8r X arrived today and the winch mount is in the country so looking forward to getting into it.

Comment

• pronvit
                              • Mar 2019
                              • New Zealand

I'm no expert on grease, but I wouldn't say it is overloaded to effect free spooling. Do you think a different type of grease might help?
                              No idea, maybe it's all good. That's why I wanted to watch some videos on lubricating winches.

I'm no expert on grease, but I wouldn't say it is overloaded to effect free What are you planning to do about your license plate? I was thinking of building something like this...
                              Maker of innovative products for off-road vehicles. Designed, tested, and built in Canada/USA. Creator of The Flipster Winch License Plate Mounting System and VSS Hood mounted solar panel systems for Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Etc.
                              That would be perfect, but I doubt it's legal here. Don't know yet, for now probably will leave it, two screws is not too hard to undo when needed. Or maybe will move higher or lower.

My Domin8r X arrived today and the winch mount is in the country so looking forward to getting into it.
                              That was quick. Did it come from AU?

Btw, there was one thing I had to do to the mount. The part number 11 "plate with nut", I had to shorten the wide end of it a bit, otherwise it didn't fit. Spend some time trying to understand whether I was trying to put in in the right place or not. So when it doesn't fit where you think it should go just remember it probably just needs cutting too (which is actually strange since everything else fits perfectly, so let me know if you find a way without cutting).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X